• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just got my Tomb of Horrors 4e from WotC!!!

Jasperak

Adventurer
Well, I think that's the key. It's a great module, as long as you go in knowing what to expect. Putting in the middle of a campaign where players are very attached to their PCs - and watching them instantly all die to the meatgrinder - is only really fun for the DM. Running it as a challenge for those willing to undertake it, and see how far they can get - that's a much better approach, and for that, it does the job well.

In my limited experience, far more characters made it through the Tomb of Horrors than didn't because they were played in a more realistic manner than "let's stick my finger in the mouth and see what happens." People weened on 2e and up will be much more likely to get slaughtered.

The players that I know from back then would have fared much better in modules like that than any players from now. Those types of players got closer to their characters than any I have met within the last decade, and they made much more of an effort to protect their characters because of the investment involved.

1e TOH is a testament to a play style that except in limited circles is long gone.

I received my copy in the mail last thurs/fri but I cannot quite bring myself to pull off the shrinkwrap, though the thought of a massive poster map of the dungeon makes me happy. Thanks WOTC for something you didn't need to do, but did anyway; even if it violates alot of what the DMG says is wrong. ;)

Aegeri

First Post
The preview they showed recently with the solo and the mist trap is actually obscenely brutal to the wrong party. I'm quite interested to see how the supermodule will go.

Remove ads