Just Like Cookies: It's Better when Homemade is the Norm Rather than the Exception

amnuxoll

First Post
I started to respond to this post in the Magic Marts thread but I think this idea deserves its own topic.

The cure isn't to just remove Magic Marts or item crafting, it's to implement inherent bonuses and to kill the +1 sword, so that all the magic items that are found are all unique and weird.

ProfCirno has nailed it here. The best campaigns I've played have had few, if any, magic items drawn from the core game. They were rare and most came from the DM's imagination.

But I think this idea is bigger than just magic items. I long ago concluded that things like feats, powers and spells create, to a lesser degree, the same problem! Furthermore, I've consistently observed that when player and DM cooperate to design custom crunch to fit a character concept and/or setting great things often develop.

I contend that the modular part of the core rules of a tabletop RPG game are best used as a set of examples and a barometer of appropriate power level when you are creating your own. Sure, use published crunch if it makes sense but I consistently encourage (not just allow) players to invent as often as I can and I expect the same from my DMs when I'm a player.

I think my roleplaying experience is much richer for it.

Last edited:

JustKim

First Post
I gave out some magic items like this, but people are largely not too keen to receive items they can't plug into Character Builder.

This is the bane of all homebrew and third party content. I won't deny it is extremely handy though.

the Jester

Legend
I gave out some magic items like this, but people are largely not too keen to receive items they can't plug into Character Builder.

This is the bane of all homebrew and third party content. I won't deny it is extremely handy though.

Yeah- but this makes me more inclined to discourage the CB rather than more inclined to stick to the books.

Balesir

Adventurer
Yeah- but this makes me more inclined to discourage the CB rather than more inclined to stick to the books.
If Wizards would just build a decent bloody CB, you wouldn't have to. Offline and totally houserulable, FFS.

However, rant aside (;)), I basically agree with this, as long as it remains in the realm of houserules. The base, published game I really, really want to remain in the "balanced, sustainable and playable out of the box" state. Some have been suggesting it should be a "toolbox" of options, with all variant game aims catered to - but I profoundly disagree. I have shelves and shelves full of "toolboxes" and "game frameworks" - I want an actual, working game, dammit!

A book on the base "design rules" or assumptions used in creating the "official" content, on the other hand, would be just brilliant...

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Agreeing with the above. I simply wanted to point out a +# whatever on an item, power, or... whatever isn't in need of being killed. If you don't know you have the bonus, but can suss it out from play, it's still magical.

If that's all that defines the item, well then that is kinda boring. Might as well call a single characteristic change a "black steel sword". But if that's cool for you, go with it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases