• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just picked up the Expanded Psionics Handbook

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Three questions:

1) What is this MAD thing people kept mentioning earlier in this thread?

2) Are there any significant suggestions about running the 'psionics as different' variant?

3) How do psionic attacks/defenses work now?

Seule

Explorer
Now I just have to hope my FLGS can get the book in close to the street date. I've ordered it, we'll see.
So much goodness...

--Seule

Psion

Adventurer
nemmerle said:
Three questions:

1) What is this MAD thing people kept mentioning earlier in this thread?

Multiple attribute dependency. The claim is that psions were weak because as they raised in levels, their selection of powers became very narrow unless they have multiple high attributes.

I always thought that claim was overblown. Many psionic powers had versions in many disciplines.

What I was concerned about was the ability to use any ability score made some types of psions preferable to other. Savants (Con) is the best, afaict, and Egoists (Str) were the weakest (so to speak).

3) How do psionic attacks/defenses work now?

All powers now. Someone posted a summary earlier in the thread.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Driddle said:
I may have missed it in this thread, but...

Are there any generally equivalent class abilities for a psi version of a ranger's or druid's empathy for animals? Which class would be most likely to train, communicate to, or otherwise deal with dumb wild critters?

No class has Handle Animal as a class skill in the xph. But, there is a nice power called Telempathic Projection that modifies a creatures reaction toward's you positively one step for 1 min/lvl, and that works on animals. Also, the power "attraction" lasts for 1 hr/lvl, and could make a creature attracted either to you or to something else, and thus might be useful in training a creature.

Spatula

Explorer
Are there any generally equivalent class abilities for a psi version of a ranger's or druid's empathy for animals?
No. The closest you can get is charming a critter. A 7th level manifester can use psionic charm on an animal for 1 day/level.
Which class would be most likely to train, communicate to, or otherwise deal with dumb wild critters?
Well, telepaths have the easiest access to psionic charm. None of the classes has Handle Animal on their class list.

Spatula

Explorer
Psion said:
Multiple attribute dependency. The claim is that psions were weak because as they raised in levels, their selection of powers became very narrow unless they have multiple high attributes.

I always thought that claim was overblown. Many psionic powers had versions in many disciplines.
??? There is one such power in the 3.0 PsiHB - Divert Teleport (7th level Psychokinesis/Psychoportation. I think Mindscapes adds one or two more, one of which is a 0-level power (Detect Compulsion, Clairsentience/Telepathy).

Spatula

Explorer
nemmerle said:
2) Are there any significant suggestions about running the 'psionics as different' variant?
Yes. One of thing I was pleased to see was a more advanced treatment of how to deal with having magic & psi different, including suggestions for different levels of different-ness.

Aaron L

Hero
After reading through my copy I think it is very good and I am very happy with it. I especially like all the different energy attack powers that make psions a nice wizard substitute.

Remove ads