• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just picked up the Expanded Psionics Handbook

EricNoah

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
I will certainly check again, but I think the way I have it is right. I think there's a lower level power that is sort of a "discharge" power as you describe.

Double-checking -- and I still think I'm right. Here's a direct quote: "you gain the ability to reroll one attack roll, one saving throw, one ability check, or one skill check each round." It's a 5th level power, so I don't find that to be out of line.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
It is nice work Eric. Can I suggest a possible improvement?

I don't like the way that the discipline powers end up bunched at the bottom away from the main list of powers.

I like your way of thinking! I have re-organized the Psion list so it goes

Psion 1
--powers
Egoist 1
--powers
Kineticist 1
--powers
Psion 2
--powers
Egoist
--powers

etc.

Next version will be posted like that. Thanks!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Thanks, Eric! I just used it for my psiwarrior and to prepare a villain, and the positioning of the discipline powers really bugged me.

Another request: When you're picking "true" powers, is there any way for it to tell you how many you have left to pick, compared to the number of powers you get at any particular level? That might be more work than is justified, but I found it hard to track how many powers I had already selected.

Something you might have already have fixed: in the instructions, you set the filter to "true," not "false" as is listed.

Anyways, this is really useful.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Another request: When you're picking "true" powers, is there any way for it to tell you how many you have left to pick, compared to the number of powers you get at any particular level? That might be more work than is justified, but I found it hard to track how many powers I had already selected.

I'm finding the same thing, but I don't know what to do about it. I agree a "counter" or something would be really spiffy. Or even have the TRUE show up in a different color (like red) so you can quickly scan down the list...

EDIT: OOH.... something called "Conditional Formatting" .... I could do different cell colors for TRUE (leave FALSE white and make TRUE green or something).... Gonna try it out!

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
EricNoah said:
Double-checking -- and I still think I'm right. Here's a direct quote: "you gain the ability to reroll one attack roll, one saving throw, one ability check, or one skill check each round." It's a 5th level power, so I don't find that to be out of line.

I think it could probably do with clarification style errata!

The power duration in its "stat block" says "1 round per level or until discharged". This makes it sound like it can be used once but you can delay the time at which it is used for up to your level in rounds.

Compare it with the 7th level power "fate of one", which for 13pp lets you reroll one thing as an immediate action.

If it *does* allow you to take one reroll each round it looks significantly better than the 6th level Greater Precognition that gives you a single +4 bonus at some point in the next (level) hours!

Although having to make a saving throw yourself doesn't come up very often on your own turn, the ability would end up looking like this:

Manifest Second Chance
For the next 9 melee rounds get two chances to hit with your primary attack each round ?!? I can imagine 12th level wilders or 18th level psywars rushing to get this via "Expanded Knowledge" if that is the case :)

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Surprising Omissions from the powers list

I'm on my second read through of the powers at the moment, and there are a couple of really surprising omissions.

Astral Projection. Surely a quintessential psionic power? Astral Caravan etc just doesn't match up to the lovely ability to go and adventure safely on other planes!

Foresight. Sure, its a loosely defined wizard power, but it seems to be exactly the kind of thing that should be on the Seer list (say at 8th level).

and possibly even

Truestrike. Again with its insight bonus to attack it seems like an obvious Seer and Psywar power.

What do you think about these three?

Spatula

Explorer
Astral Projection should definitely be there. But then again, look at what level Ethereal Jaunt and Etherealness are for Psions (vs wizards & clerics).

EricNoah

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
I think it could probably do with clarification style errata!

The power duration in its "stat block" says "1 round per level or until discharged". This makes it sound like it can be used once but you can delay the time at which it is used for up to your level in rounds.

Compare it with the 7th level power "fate of one", which for 13pp lets you reroll one thing as an immediate action.

If it *does* allow you to take one reroll each round it looks significantly better than the 6th level Greater Precognition that gives you a single +4 bonus at some point in the next (level) hours!

Although having to make a saving throw yourself doesn't come up very often on your own turn, the ability would end up looking like this:

Manifest Second Chance
For the next 9 melee rounds get two chances to hit with your primary attack each round ?!? I can imagine 12th level wilders or 18th level psywars rushing to get this via "Expanded Knowledge" if that is the case :)

Cheers

I agree that it could use clarification. :)

(Not that I'm any kind of rules guru or anything, but I disagree that it's all that powerful. You have to decide what you want to "spend" it on each round -- maybe you should save it for a saving throw, or maybe you should use it on an attack. Plus, if you are using it to attack, that means you missed on the original roll, right? If you missed, it's probably because a) you had little chance of hitting in the first place, and so a re-roll isn't all that much help, or b) you had a good chance of hitting so a re-roll puts things back the way they "should have worked out." I don't know, I don't see it being that big a deal. Maybe it's because I've been playing a rogue with Slippery Mind, where you get to re-roll your Will save 1 rnd later -- and it doesn't seem like I manage to make it the second time all that often. :) )

Remove ads