Just when you thought it was safe to look at Fight Club...

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I think my problem with WOTC's "Fight Clubs" is that they all feature some pretty weird characters. A human single-classed as a fighter can be pretty interesting if you give him or her some personality and some creative feat choices.

An occasional weirdo is great, but they all seem to be odd, and getting progressively stranger...what's next I wonder?

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I often enjoy reading the unusual combinations in the "Fight Club!"

Just the other night, over dinner, I read this latest one while washing down a Peanut Butter and Garlic sandwich with a glass of Cranchovy juice... ;)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
I agree with Mark; those weirdos can be great fun. :cool:

Oh, and BTW, as I read the thread title, I thought you were talking about the Fight Club forum on these very boards... :p

Schmoe

Adventurer
Darkness said:
I agree with Mark; those weirdos can be great fun. :cool:

Oh, and BTW, as I read the thread title, I thought you were talking about the Fight Club forum on these very boards... :p

Actually, I avoided this thread for some time for exactly that reason. But I think the Fight Club NPC's are always fun to see, even if I would never use them in my game.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I'm sorry. Would guys then like me to retitle it? *would never belittle the EN World Fight Club* You guys would kick my butt! :)

Aarron, my point was, WHY a draegloth? What's wrong with just a drow or even a tielfing? It's just...odd.

Psion

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
A Drageloth/cleric of Velshroon/wizard/TRUE Necromancer. Okay it's offical, this not only sick it's bordering on TRULY silly.

Um, as others have said, I fail to see why.

True necromancer requires wizard and cleric levels, and if you use both T&B and FR, then worshipping a deity with the undeath domain makes perfect sense for the true necromancer.

Draegloths are nominally followers of lolth, but followers of lolth are no strangers to betrayal, and it could make an interesting villain at odds with the drow. Perhaps the PCs may actually have to ally with the beast to defeat the drow, but should watch their backs in the meantime. I see a lot of interesting campaign ideas with this one.

Now I don't play FR and don't use Draegloths (and don't really care for them for that matter), so I will never use it, but if you do play FR, I fail to see the problem.

Simon Magalis

First Post
I think that the 3E rules set is still a bit like a new sports car over at WOTC and they are just getting it out on the highway to see how fast it will go. I suspect that the Fight Club entries will always be a bit odd, but I think their purpose is to provide very tough COMBAT encounters (thus the name Fight Club) rather than intereresting ROLEPLAYING encounters, despite all the background information.

Numion

First Post
I think someone is overreacting. If the half-demon is affiliated to Velsharoon, wouldn't it just be natural for it to try to be a True Necromancer? IIRC Velsharoon is a god of undead also. And since True Necros need a couple of levels of wiz, I see no problem with this.

It is a bit to the unordinary side, but what would be the point of putting stats for ordinary fighters on the net? Anyone can do those.

Glyfair

Explorer
Gargoyle said:
I think my problem with WOTC's "Fight Clubs" is that they all feature some pretty weird characters. A human single-classed as a fighter can be pretty interesting if you give him or her some personality and some creative feat choices.

An occasional weirdo is great, but they all seem to be odd, and getting progressively stranger...what's next I wonder?

It sounds like you are looking for "Character Closeup" instead of "Fight Club." The CC on the WOTC site has several single-classed characters. Admittedly some are unique (the latest one being a good example - an Ettin Bard), but most are reasonably detailed and usually have 3 different stat blocks at different points in their careers.

Fight Club, on the other hand, seems to have two focuses. Primarily, it seems to be about "pushing the envelope," showing all the strange things you can do with the system. The latest is not the strangest, by far. If you buy the background, the character's stats and classes make perfect sense. Compare it to the Fiendish Medusa Shadowdancer/Blackguard Vampire, that intentionally modified/broke some of the core rules.

The other thing about Fight Club is that it's about adversaries. Since players won't typically be able to (or have no need to) delve deeply into most opponents backgrounds, they don't go that far into them. These aren't meant to be the grand villians of a campaign or even campaign arc. These are usually just the main opponent of an adventure and maybe an occasional recurring villian.

Glyfair of Glamis

Remove ads