Justin LaNasa shares his opinion of EN World

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
They've been asked time and time and time again. They ignore the questions, or block those asking them. Hey, let me try yet again!

@TSR-Hobbies, I know you're on here -- your good friend Justin LaNasa claims in the above video that I have "made things up" about your company. As you represent TSR3.5 here on EN World, would you kindly point out the specific part of this article I have made up:

Hell, I didn't even offer an opinion. But please, do, tell me which part is made up.

As a followup, and I know you guys have been asked this time and time again and ignored it or insulted those asking, but I'll ask once more, for the record:

What is the stance of your company on trans rights?
Let's hope they answer! It all seems like people shadowboxing at phantoms (not you, Morrus). I think I must be disconnected from some of the trends that this TSR group does not like and is shadowboxing against. I think Wizards of the Coast has done such a marvelous job shepherding the legacy of D&D.

Now, bring on Spelljammer! :)

Hatmatter

Yes.

That said, I pronounce it "N-world" because I'm difficult. Or lazy.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.
Thank you for posting that link, Snarf! I am still a bit surprised. After saying and thinking one pronunciation for so long (I think fourteen years), it is surprising. It's good to know the correct way, though.

Kind of like hearing some people from Wizards pronounce Asmodeus AZ-moe-DAY-us (rhymes with Amadeus, as in the Wolfgang A. Mozart) when all of my friends and I have only pronounced it AZ-moe-dee-us for like 35 years! Or, hearing how President Obama pronounced "divisive," which I first thought, "hmmm, I have been pronouncing it wrong all along?!? Then I learned he has his own unique pronunciation of it!" Takes some getting used.

Cheers, all!

Hatmatter

I loved the part where they ask what would they do if the ever acquired the D&D license. Never happen. But they immediately proceed to say re-develop/continue with 1E & 2E completely disregarding the last 22-23 years of D&Ds evolution.
Yikes! Right? Now there is the anti-notion of shepherding the legacy in-action.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was hoping for something more exciting. But he does call EN World a “very big company”, which is funny. I might put that quote in the site header.
“A very big company” - Justin LaNasa, TSR 9.651(c)

Oh, that's rich. I expect nuTSR has more actual employees than you do. It is more than a bit ironic that they didn't determine the truth before speaking that tidbit. We can only hope that they look at the mismatch there, and learn something.

Maybe Mr. Hovermale will wander in and look at this thread - we can lay out several honest questions:

For Ernie Gygax:
1) Does Ernie Gygax recognize that he said harmful things?
1a) Can he state how those statements were harmful (to demonstrate his understanding of the issues)?
2) Can Ernie say he's genuinely sorry for causing that harm?
3) What concrete actions, going forward, does Ernie plan to do take make it right?

Appropriate answers to the above questions comprise a real apology, and might be a great first step in repairing the damage done.

We can add for Mr. LaNasa:
4) Does Mr. LaNasa understand that EN World is not, in fact, a large business?
5) Does Mr. LaNasa recognize that there's public knowledge of a stack of statements and actions in his past that look inappropriate, in either a business partner, or a custodian of a beloved brand?
5a) What concrete actions, if any, does Mr. LaNasa intend to take to improve this perception among folks who are skeptical of his leadership and intentions?

And, for Michael himself:
6) Do you realize that the statement that TSR social media accounts were compromised, without supporting evidence, is difficult to trust?
7) Do you realize that Ernie's failure to offer a real apology works against people accepting this otherwise unsupported statement?

There are no traps intended in those questions. I, personally, would much prefer to have a positive image of TSR. But their own actions and responses to criticism make that difficult.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
I might say the same for the point between the difference between a player and a character. I do not understand what they are speaking against. Around the 1:17 remark, one of the speakers (the one on the left with the goatee) goes into detail about how the character might knife somebody between the ribs, but the player is not doing that. That distinction seems like role-playing 101 to me. I think I might be out-of-touch from the demographic with whom they are attempting to have a conversation. Interesting that at around 1:18:30, Justin LaNasa (if that is the person in the middle) then seems to contradict this point by (if I am following correctly) saying that he was ruing that he was not able to kill another player's character at GaryCon because of his feelings about the player. I may have not followed that conversation strand correctly.
I don't know specifically what they are referring to, but there have been conversations here and probably elsewhere around whether or not fantasy worlds should reflect real-world values, to what degree (and which values). Some feel that fantasy is fantasy, and "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." Others feel that the fantasy worlds should better reflect certain values in the real world. And, of course, there is "orcgate" and "drowgate" and other variations around to what degree they are representative of real-world peoples, whether consciously intended or not.

Hatmatter

I don't know specifically what they are referring to, but there have been conversations here and probably elsewhere around whether or not fantasy worlds should reflect real-world values, to what degree (and which values). Some feel that fantasy is fantasy, and "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." Others feel that the fantasy worlds should better reflect certain values in the real world. And, of course, there is "orcgate" and "drowgate" and other variations around to what degree they are representative of real-world peoples, whether consciously intended or not.
Thank you very much Mercurius. I have noticed some of those conversations; I guess I did not understand what they were talking about in this video in such a context. I appreciate you clearing it up for me. (y)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases