• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Keep on the Shadowfell specifics from Mearls (4e designer) .. new info on Page 2

I don't know what the product even contains....
Amazon.com said:
Product Details
* Hardcover: 96 pages
* Publisher: Wizards of the Coast; 4th edition (May 20, 2008)
ISBN-13: 978-0786948505
WotC said:
Release Date May 2008
Format Trade Paperback
Page Count 64
ISBN 978-0-7869-4850-5
???? hard/soft cover? 64/96 pages? :uhoh:

MaelStorm

First Post
True. What is most bizarre is that two days ago when I checked at Amazon.com KotSf it was 64-pages, and when I looked today it was 96-pages. That is good news to me, this makes the thesis of a 32-page quickstart rules as another poster mentioned more believable.

My theory:

Hardcover
96-pages (a 64-page adventure + a 32-page quickstart rule)

Edit: It includes three double-sided poster maps suitable for use with D&D miniatures, as well as information on the town of Winterhaven and environs.

Last edited:

I might be tempted if it is the 96 page version, slightly better value then; offsetting the stupidity of only 2 weeks early!
So, WotC, what is it?

Gargazon

First Post
Cyronax said:
Quoted from today's reply from WotC_Mearls/Mike Mearls in response to my initial querey:

"Hey Vicarius,

I think between the DDXP characters and the stuff in KotS, you'll be mostly covered. Like I mentioned above, I'm not 100% sure on the characters in the adventure, but I think you'll have most bases covered. I'm not sure there is a warlord in KotS, and I don't know which races we went with.

... snip ...

- Mike"

c.i.d

Surely Mr. Mearls can walk over to the department that made the characters and ASK them what's in the book? If the Core books are in the printer I'm sure KotS is there too, so it can't be that hard to find out in-company.

I reckon they're keeping it a secret so we can be pleasently surprised when we actually get our hands on it. Or I'm just a hopeless optimist :D

Cyronax

Explorer
Gargazon said:
Surely Mr. Mearls can walk over to the department that made the characters and ASK them what's in the book? If the Core books are in the printer I'm sure KotS is there too, so it can't be that hard to find out in-company.

I reckon they're keeping it a secret so we can be pleasently surprised when we actually get our hands on it. Or I'm just a hopeless optimist :D

I look forward to seeing what they've done with shadow magic for one. The Shadar-kai were a woefully underused monster in 3.X. Likewise, some of stuff has been confirmed about KotSF.

WotC_ScottR/Scott Rouse confirmed the following guesswork done by poster in the 4e forums at WotC back in mid-February. I really need to check those boards more often. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=930145)

Quotes:
Originally Posted by dxyn
"It is more likely that the adventure is tied to the Shadowfell. Perhaps the keep in questions sits on a planar boundry and the goal is to keep that junction closed. That could be quite interesting. Low level undead. Cultists. Various evil clerics and wizards and their minions working to open the rift to plunge the material plane into the Shadowfell once and for all."

Originally Posted by Azegoroth
"Indeed, my mind immediately conjures up images of a large, dark castle filled with twisted, old corridors, where strange things move in the shadows... "

C.I.D.

Last edited:

Ahwe Yahzhe

First Post
MaelStorm said:
Then why amazon is not saying so?

From Amazon.com today:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Details

Hardcover: 96 pages
Publisher: Wizards of the Coast; 4th edition (May 20, 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0786948507
ISBN-13: 978-0786948505

The description also mentions 3 double-sided pull-out maps.

BUT Wizards lists H1 as a 64-page trade paperback, so my guess is it's a 96-page tpb with 64 pages of adventure and details on "the town of Winterhaven and environs," plus 32 pages of quick start rules, pregens, etc. I'm betting it's a tpb for the $30 price point with maps (the preview books were $20 for 96-page tpbs of fluff, so...) I'm curious whether the 32 other pages will be bound into the tpb or as a seperate pull-out/insert, like the maps...

The release date is discouraging, but since I've already finished Raiders of Oakhurst and Second Son, I need new critters for my the party members to meet and kill...

Remove ads