D&D 4E Keep on the Shadowfell specifics from Mearls (4e designer) .. new info on Page 2

Cyronax

Explorer
I don't think anyone posted this yet. Quotes from WotC Mearls of the design team regarding Keep on the Shadowfell, as well as my follow up question:

"There will be leveling in the adventure, you just don't have options as you go up. It isn't the best situation, but we had to work with the page count of the adventure.

I'm not sure of the race/class breakdown. I co-wrote the adventure, and then a second team created the characters and the fast play rules.

There are a few ways you can look at it:

1. If your group wants to play 4e but hasn't followed the boards or still has a 3e game to wrap up, this is a fast, easy way to start playing.

2. If you want to get a jump start on learning 4e before the core rulebooks come out, the module is a good "first run" of the game. You play KotS, learn the rules, get everyone up to speed, then start in on the full game.

3. If you just want an adventure and don't care about the fast play stuff, KotS goes from level 1 to 3. The quick start materials will be handy as a reference for players who don't yet have a PH. If you want the full options of the PH, you might want to wait for the PH or let the players re-do their characters.

4. If you're not crazy about published modules and you can wait for the PH, KotS isn't for you.

So, basically, how much do you want an adventure, and how long can you wait to see the 4e rules? Those two questions determine if H1 is going to make you happy."

My questions:

While you're here Mr. Mearls,

I've already pre-bought the KotSF and the corebooks (with skeptical optimism). I also was at DDXP (love the eladrin ranger).

Can you tell us about any pregen character in KotSF? I want to know if I can use that source and the pregen DDXP characters (despite their draft status), as well as some of the great resources EN World has put together to actually start my 4e campaign early. I want to give the players a full range of options, and with the DDXP pregen characters, and the warlord and rogue Dragon articles, I feel like I'm nearly there.

Will KotSF complete the circle, or should I wait another month before trying to start an intensive new campaign (with a cool POL setting in the works?)

Vicarius

(Cyronax @ ENWorld)

Link to 4e messageboard thread http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=15443755&posted=1#post15443755

c.i.d.

Last edited:

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Hrm, surely they could provide preset level advancements for the pregen characters?

I think it's a bit silly to expect people to buy a module that doesn't even have the basic requirements needed to play it.

Cyronax

Explorer
Greir said:
The way I understood it, that's exactly what they're doing :)

its not an exact PHB level excerpt. They leave a lot out from two other quotes on that thread.

Overall, I'm not unhappy with the product, merely disappointed that its not coming out earlier (as initially advertised).

c.i.d.

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
Greir said:
The way I understood it, that's exactly what they're doing :)
That is what I understood as well. Each character can progress up to level 3, but at each level gain the powers, feats, etc are already spelled out.

I completely understand why they are doing it this way, but I have to admit I was hoping for at least some level of customization. I still plan on keeping my preorder, though.

Saishu_Heiki said:
That is what I understood as well. Each character can progress up to level 3, but at each level gain the powers, feats, etc are already spelled out.

I completely understand why they are doing it this way, but I have to admit I was hoping for at least some level of customization. I still plan on keeping my preorder, though.
It's only two weeks in advance, by the time you get to third level you'll probably have the full rules in front of you anyway.

Cyronax

Explorer
small pumpkin man said:
It's only two weeks in advance, by the time you get to third level you'll probably have the full rules in front of you anyway.

Hadn't thought of it like that. Great point.

c.i.d.

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
small pumpkin man said:
That is very likely, good point. Based on how much real time Burning Plague and Raiders took to resolve encounters 3rd level is probably not happening in two weeks. :)

Frankly, I am not preordering it to try to run my players through 2 weeks early at the cost of being able to make their *own* characters. I am preordering it because I want the information inside and Amazon will sell it to me incredibly cheap.

Remove ads