• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Keep on the Shadowfell specifics from Mearls (4e designer) .. new info on Page 2

malraux

First Post
Well, i perordered it along with the core gift set, and opted for free shipping, so amazon will be sending it to me June 10th regardless. But that's ok, because I'm moving to AR almost immediately thereafter so I just want the books to start gaming in July.

Cyronax

Explorer
Saishu_Heiki said:
Frankly, I am not preordering it to try to run my players through 2 weeks early at the cost of being able to make their *own* characters. I am preordering it because I want the information inside and Amazon will sell it to me incredibly cheap.

Nor am I. I purchased KotSF thinking it'd be more advanced in release than it is. I am a sorry customer.

That said, its sounds cool nonetheless. It will at least give me a few weeks' advance into the real system. Weekends are precious and my group only meets sporadically, so it might pan out.

c.i.d.

AZRogue

First Post
Well, that's one pre-order canceled, heh. They should have planned it a bit better. The benefit of the product was getting access to some of the rules and 4E play early. The way it looks now, though, it's not early enough to outweigh the fact that you can't make your own characters and don't have any options when it comes to leveling. Oh well.

MaelStorm

First Post
WotC made some poor decisions on this one:

• When you compare the page count, you have 64 pages for H1 and 96 pages for H2!?!?!
  • H1 has rules, which is making it even worst. Because the people that want it for the adventure will get a very very small one.
  • If H1 would have had 96 pages instead, there would have been space for choosing powers, instead you are going to have a rehash of DDXP with maybe a little bit more info, big deal! The only thing going for it is that you can progress up to 3rd level instead of being stuck to 1st level. So the people that buy it for the rules are going to be disappointed too.
  • Only a bit more than two weeks in advance of the Core Book release instead of the four weeks previously announced.
  • You pay a little bit more because it is hard covered, when it could have been cheaper with a soft cover.

They could have made it a killer if it would have been 96 pages and four week in advance with powers to choose for the pre-generated characters.

I'm sure the adventure is going to be interesting, but that is a very small boon.

Last edited:

Gundark

Explorer
AZRogue said:
Well, that's one pre-order canceled, heh. They should have planned it a bit better. The benefit of the product was getting access to some of the rules and 4E play early. The way it looks now, though, it's not early enough to outweigh the fact that you can't make your own characters and don't have any options when it comes to leveling. Oh well.

Well you're free to do whatever. You still get the adventure, and the preview rules you get will make you ready to begining playing at the get go.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
All I want is a good low-level adventure out of it; I won't be using 4e to run it in any case. Which is another way of saying I hope the adventure content in the 64 pages isn't drowned by all the 4e rules stuff.

Lanefan

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Lanefan said:
All I want is a good low-level adventure out of it; I won't be using 4e to run it in any case. Which is another way of saying I hope the adventure content in the 64 pages isn't drowned by all the 4e rules stuff.

Well... Considering how it is the preview for the 4e rule-system I think you will be swiming through a lot of 4e rules.

I agree, if I was lanefan I wouldn't pre-order it cos you'll get a good idea here what the rules/adventure mix is, then decide to buy.

I cancelled my Amazon pre-order. Was very excited about it and booked the international priority mailing which cost as much as the book itself. A whole month to go over play and generally get the hang of the 4E rules before release...Oh hang on it is now 2 weeks :\ pre order cancelled, I can wait 2 weeks for the gift set thank you very much!
Tempted to put up a poll to see how many other people have dropped the pre order because of the delay. Although I admit if I could get it at release here in NZ I might still be tempted..... :p

vagabundo

Adventurer
Lanefan said:

Lanefan

I'm guessing it will be a showcase for 4e rules. So moving it to something else will end up gutting it, possibly fatally.

Lots of enworlders are getting it, me included, you could start a thread after launch to get more details on it's content.

Remove ads