Keep your filthy points of light away from me!

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Wolfspider said:
Well, for one, by making very radical changes to the Forgotten Realms so that it more closely fits that model. For many FR fans, that's pretty gag-inducing.
Yet funnily enough, other FR fans think it could just be quite a good idea. Personal opinions and all that. YMMV. IMO etc etc.....

On the other hand, we could all just totally over react and panic. OMG. The sky is falling....

Rechan

Adventurer
You know, I am not fully up to snuff on my Realmslore, but I thought that at least Greenwood's realms was pretty Points of Light. That it was a dark place and it was very dangerous, and there was crap that lurked around every corner.

Problem is with the Chosen and the Harpers and etc etc etc running around sprinkling spot lights between the points of light.

Zurai

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Well, for one, by making very radical changes to the Forgotten Realms so that it more closely fits that model. For many FR fans, that's pretty gag-inducing.

That's not what the OP was saying, though. He made the very specific claim that they're setting it up in such a way that they're presenting it as, and I quote, "the only way to set up a world".

So I ask, again: how are they doing this, exactly?

Wolfspider

Explorer
crazy_cat said:
Yet funnily enough, other FR fans think it could just be quite a good idea. Personal opinions and all that. YMMV. IMO etc etc.....

On the other hand, we could all just totally over react and panic. OMG. The sky is falling....

That's why, funnily enough, I used the qualifier "many."

Wolfspider

Explorer
Zurai said:
That's not what the OP was saying, though. He made the very specific claim that they're setting it up in such a way that they're presenting it as, and I quote, "the only way to set up a world".

I see.

I don't have enough information to tell if the "points of light" philosophy will impact the rules or will simply be "easily" removed fluff.

BlackMoria

First Post

In a nutshell, they are allegedly advancing the time line 100 years and introducing a event called the Spellplague that happened 100 years earlier, which based on info from GHotR, results in the destruction of gods, planes of existence, magic and changing the fabric of reality (implying the geography is changing somewhat as well).

The sample chapter from The Orc King jmplies a world changed and largely still in chaos and it is hinted that civilizations largely collapsed during the spellplague and are still trying to recover 100 years later.

Points of Light....

Zurai

First Post
BlackMoria said:
In a nutshell, they are allegedly advancing the time line 100 years and introducing a event called the Spellplague that happened 100 years earlier, which based on info from GHotR, results in the destruction of gods, planes of existence, magic and changing the fabric of reality (implying the geography is changing somewhat as well).

The sample chapter from The Orc King jmplies a world changed and largely still in chaos and it is hinted that civilizations largely collapsed during the spellplague and are still trying to recover 100 years later.

Points of Light....

That only applies to FR (and it's not all proven, either - that's conjecture from a single book which has only ever been tangentally related to official FR mechanics).

The OP said that WotC is ramming this down EVERY player's throat and that they're marketing it as "the only way to set up a world".

BlackMoria

First Post
How is this new? After the Time of Troubles, I would think Realms fans' throats would be like big old subway tunnels anyway.

It is the scale. If you play the Realms, getting stuff rammed down the throat is somewhat of a given.

The net sum of the Time of Troubles (which didn't turn everyone's crank, I agree), the changes amounted to killing three gods off, promoting replacements, and put limits on some magic. Easy enough to retcon if you didn't like.

This time, they are killing off a whole whack of gods, destroying planes, and changing the game world (geographically, magically, politically, economically, etc) on a very large scale way which will be very hard to retcon short of totally ignoring the whole affair.

BlackMoria said:
This time, they are killing off a whole whack of gods, destroying planes, and changing the game world (geographically, magically, politically, economically, etc) on a very large scale way which will be very hard to retcon short of totally ignoring the whole affair.
And that's... difficult to do, somehow?

Remove ads