Blog (A5E) Keeping it Classy: Updated Core Classes in Level Up

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Maybe it was me, not totally sure though.
Interesting in this context for me means "unique", meaning that the class has some specific features that others do not have, and that have a defining and lasting impact on some aspects of the game.
Despite my initial perplexities on the a5e fighter, it is by far a huge improvement to the o5e version.
For me the best way one could evoke "the best at combat" would be for them to flexibly and without much specialization do all the tactical/strategic roles. And the option of trading out of burst damage action surge and even extra attacks for selectable choices (which if you choose the right ones duplicate those too) is definitely a sound way of making that possible. It was actually a paradigm I was coming up with around an enhancement of the battlemaster but they sure seem in LU to be doing something like it very elegantly.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Based on my read, I would consider allowing the LU fighter to learn new maneuvers beyond class granted in down time it would feel right and enable as much versatility as desired.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Based on my read, I would consider allowing the LU fighter to learn new maneuvers beyond class granted in down time it would feel right and enable as much versatility as desired.
Tasha's has training at 10 - Int mod weeks. Would you use that? Because I think training in maneuvers is a great ability.

In one of the games I'm in, my duelist (swashbuckler rogue) was training some other people (including the party's cleric) in the rapier because we had a lot of downtime on a sea voyage. I think this would have given the cleric proficiency in the rapier (we haven't finished the training), but it would be cool if I also was able to train him in a maneuver.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Tasha's has training at 10 - Int mod weeks. Would you use that? Because I think training in maneuvers is a great ability.
I would add an or Wis mod (discipline really could contribute to learning)
In one of the games I'm in, my duelist (swashbuckler rogue) was training some other people (including the party's cleric) in the rapier because we had a lot of downtime on a sea voyage. I think this would have given the cleric proficiency in the rapier (we haven't finished the training), but it would be cool if I also was able to train him in a maneuver.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
That probably wouldn't break anything, but at that point it'd probably be wise to impose some limit on how many maneuvers the character can have "prepared" at once. It's also noteworthy that fighters get a lot of maneuvers compared to everyone else; 17, vs. 11 or 8.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That probably wouldn't break anything, but at that point it'd probably be wise to impose some limit on how many maneuvers the character can have "prepared" at once. It's also noteworthy that fighters get a lot of maneuvers compared to everyone else; 17, vs. 11 or 8.
At 10th level the fighter knows 7 maneuvers ... which is as high as I had seen.

Remove ads