D&D 5E Keith Baker announces Project Raptor!

collin

Explorer
Keith said on his blog post "To be absolutely clear: Project Raptor is NOT an official sourcebook. Unlike the Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron, this is being produced by KB Presents alone and will not be supported by Wizards of the Coast. This is your glimpse into my Eberron; it will be released on the DM’s Guild, and available in print on demand."

As far as I am concerned, it will be much welcomed source material at my table, WotC official or not.

NiClerigo

Adventurer
I don't especially think not will happen this weekend...but, Mearls did say in January that he was going to talk to Like Gygax about a Greyhawk product idea, so it is at least in the realm of "things Mike Mearls has bandied about in public that he plans to do."
Maybe. That being said, both Satine and Ruty will participate, and both have had Eberron-related stuff (in maze Arcana or Morgrave’s Miscellany). I hope we get an official WotC hardcover announcement soon! -Keith’s material will always be official Eberron material at my table too

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe. That being said, both Satine and Ruty will participate, and both have had Eberron-related stuff (in maze Arcana or Morgrave’s Miscellany). I hope we get an official WotC hardcover announcement soon! -Keith’s material will always be official Eberron material at my table too

Since 2015, the November books have been announced in June or July (June for Volo's Guide and Xanathar's Guide, last week of July for SCAG and Ravnica). I reckon we will hear soon in some capacity.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
This is great news. The more stuff published by Keith, the fewer chances WotC has to "do a Realms" and emasculate a great setting.

I don't especially think not will happen this weekend...but, Mearls did say in January that he was going to talk to Like Gygax about a Greyhawk product idea, so it is at least in the realm of "things Mike Mearls has bandied about in public that he plans to do."

Mearls says lots of things, all the time. They generally mean nothing until they are confirmed by someone else at WotC without a tendency towards verbal diarrhoea.

I also wonder if WotC might want to hold back on anything Greyhawk related until a certain woman in need of help, um, stops saying and doing "certain things". Did I make a successful Diplomacy check?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is great news. The more stuff published by Keith, the fewer chances WotC has to "do a Realms" and emasculate a great setting.

Mearls says lots of things, all the time. They generally mean nothing until they are confirmed by someone else at WotC without a tendency towards verbal diarrhoea.

I also wonder if WotC might want to hold back on anything Greyhawk related until a certain woman in need of help, um, stops saying and doing "certain things". Did I make a successful Diplomacy check?

They already put out a Greyhawk book this year, with extensive setting material, with the ability to use limited amounts of Greyhawk material in DMsGuild products (as long as they relate to Saltmarsh). They have already begun the process, in some form or another. They own Greyhawk, lock, stock and smoking barrel: outside drama need not apply.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
They already put out a Greyhawk book this year, with extensive setting material, with the ability to use limited amounts of Greyhawk material in DMsGuild products (as long as they relate to Saltmarsh). They have already begun the process, in some form or another. They own Greyhawk, lock, stock and smoking barrel: outside drama need not apply.

True, there is no dispute about the ownership of Greyhawk in those with rational minds. My point was simply that caution might be warranted about a major release until someone truly pulls her head in because who wants to be part of the drama?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
True, there is no dispute about the ownership of Greyhawk in those with rational minds. My point was simply that caution might be warranted about a major release until someone truly pulls her head in because who wants to be part of the drama?

I severely doubt that is of any concern to WotC.

gyor

Legend
Doesn't really feel like the right venue for an Eberron announcement. And it's really Luke Gygax's thing, so I kind of doubt it.

Once upon a time, I would have assumed they were saving it for a Gen Con announcement, but obviously they've moved away from Gen Con being an important date in recent years.

I don't really have a clue. It'll probably just come out of the blue. Felt like that last year. Kind of interested to see if there's a surprise something else that comes with it (like with the Ravnica+Eberron last year).

AD

I hope so. And I hope they make Project Raptor official.

dave2008

Legend

Keith already stated that it is not official, not part of WotC. He is producing it himself and it is his version of Eberron. However, he is avoiding stepping on official content (like Wayfinder's and I would assume the upcoming hardback).

Last edited:

lkj

Hero

It seems like Keith is very much in the loop with WotC. Crawford even mentioned going over Artificer subclasses with him when he was working on that UA. My thinking is that Keith is likely involved enough to just have his company producing material that WotC is unlikely to cover officially-- creating a more in depth setting for those who want it. I don't think they really need to make it 'official'. In fact that might be counterproductive for them, since they seem to have a policy of not making the lore of any given setting too large to be accessible for a general audience.

It's sort of the perfect scenario for them. They put out the framework. Then they have the Father of Eberron filling in the gaps on DM's Guild for those of their fans that are into it. The rest of the consumers just get the 'easy to use and not to overwhelming' version, without making people feel like they need every last supplement to be playing Eberron.

AD

Remove ads