D&D 5E Keith Baker Presents Closing Doors On Eberron

There's one more Eberron book coming

315887.png

Keith Baker has announced that his Eberron-based publishing company will be ending production after 4 years. The company, led by Eberron creator Keith Baker, produced four incredibly popular books on the Dungeon Master's Guild--Exploring Eberron, Chronicles of Eberron, Dread Metrol, and Eberron Confidential. There is one more book planned--Frontiers of Eberron: Quickstone will be released by Visionary Production and Design who will also be continuing publication of the four existing books.

Eberron is an official D&D world, and was introduced to 5E with Eberron: Rising form the Last War in 2019.

We appreciate all the support and enthusiasm that our fans brought these past four years, and it is with a heavy heart that we must inform you that on June 30, 2023 KB Presents will be closing its doors. It has been a joy and honor to bring you our version of Eberron and we are incredibly proud of what we have created.

As we pursue new challenges and opportunities, we leave the existing works under the stewardship of Visionary Production and Design (https://twitter.com/visionarypnd). This includes the following Dungeon Masters Guild titles:

Exploring Eberron: Exploring Eberron - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild
Chronicles of Eberron: Chronicles of Eberron - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild
Dread Metrol: Dread Metrol: Into the Mists - An Eberron / Ravenloft Crossover - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild
Eberron Confidential: Eberron Confidential - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

If you would like to continue supporting the former KB Presents production team, you can find us at:

Laura Hirsbrunner, Editor: Laura Hirsbrunner
Imogen Gingell, Designer: Imogen Gingell
Wayne Chang, Producer: Adventuring Zone
Keith Baker, Lead Designer: Twogether Studios

Our final book, Frontiers of Eberron: Quickstone, is slated for release in the latter half of 2023 and will be published under Visionary. We appreciate your taking this journey with us and we look forward to our paths crossing once again.

Thank you!

It’s his world, his vision for it is the clearest, so to my mind his opinions carry more weight. You can add other stuff if it works for you of course.
How do you tell where his vision stops and another starts. Many of the books had more than one author (I assume). Do we know what is his vision and what is someone else’s?

I know his blog is all his - and it is a great read, but I’m talking official books here. Heck.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
How do you tell where his vision stops and another starts. Many of the books had more than one author (I assume). Do we know what is his vision and what is someone else’s?

I know his blog is all his - and it is a great read, but I’m talking official books here. Heck.
Official is not an important distinction to me personally, as long as the content is there. That's why I always pipe up at news about WotC's legally closed settings.

WoTC doesn't care about those who actually fork out the money for content.
I disagree and more so when we talk about the actual D&D group.
Hence the drive to make it impossible to go anywhere else ( it since then blowing up in their face and then trying to pass it off as a 1000 different things other than what it was. And yes, they DO try to spin stuff in this fashion at an increasingly alarming rate.)
I think we are talking about 2 different things. I was talking about that the don’t spin about how their products do or don’t do well. Which you seemed to be imply they do.
As you said DMs buy the bulk of the content and those are exactly the people who care about this stuff.
Some do sure. We came ina homebrew world and we all care about it. But I don’t think my DM cares much about any official setting.
As for other settings being received well.... There is a reason all the top selling books in the GM guild are from a single setting.
Actually, that could be an argument for just the opposite. If people didn’t like what WotC produced you would expect fans to but a lot of it on DMsGuild. The fact that they don’t suggest that people do like what WotC has made for those settings.

Now, I don’t believe that is true, but I don’t believe your argument either. The are just both pretty groundless arguments/ opinions.

Official is not an important distinction to me personally, as long as the content is there. That's why I always pipe up at news about WotC's legally closed settings.
Nor me. So the content is important - not who makes the content? Is that your argument? I thought you were supporting the KB only argument?

For me, I don’t care about the author as much as I care about the content. Thought they often go hand in hand.

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, honestly. As I noted in one of my other posts. Take the content he's released, and thats it, you have a complete setting and canon. Very simple, very clean lines of 'is or is not'.
Do we know what is his and what is not? For example, there are three authors listed on the 3e Eberron Campaign Setting Guide: Keith Baker, Bill Slavicsek, James Wyatt. So do we discard this book because there are other authors?

dave2008

Legend
This is based on the fact that it's been the only setting that was reintroduced that was well received by the people who already were invested in the setting.
Actually, right now both Van Ricthen's Guide to Ravenloft and The Swordcoast Adventurer's Guide are outselling Eberron on Amazon. So is Dragonlance, but that is not a setting guide really.
1683489488757.png

1683489516955.png

1683489535240.png

1683489556297.png

Actually, right now both Van Ricthen's Guide to Ravenloft and The Swordcoast Adventurer's Guide are outselling Eberron on Amazon. So is Dragonlance, but that is not a setting guide really.
View attachment 284098
View attachment 284099
View attachment 284100
View attachment 284101
Selling books total isn't the same form retaining fans from the past.
View attachment 284098
View attachment 284099
View attachment 284100
View attachment 284101
This is a useless star regarding retention and books sold....on a different site

Scribe

Legend
Thanks for the clarification!

However, why stop at what KB worked on? That is less clear and less easy to source than just saying “official” (WotC) content? What about writers you worked on the same books KB worked on? How do you separate why they did and what KB did? Did other writers do a poor job and so they shouldn’t be considered canon?

In the current time, I have no reason to trust companies in regards to sticking to existing canon. I do not like the direction of either 5e WoTC, or PF2 Paizo. Its not so much about having other authors, as I know KB didnt write all these things solo, but it gives me a simple benchmark. Call it an appeal to authority, or a specific vision, but its essentially 'done'.

Rising from the Last War
Exploring Eberron
Chronicles of Eberron.
KB Blog if needed.

Thats it for me. If he's stepping away, I'm not interested in anything else.

Do we know what is his and what is not? For example, there are three authors listed on the 3e Eberron Campaign Setting Guide: Keith Baker, Bill Slavicsek, James Wyatt. So do we discard this book because there are other authors?

As noted above here, its just the 3 books. I'm not interested in another 'modern sensibilities' take from Wizards after 5 years.

Remove ads

Remove ads