D&D 5E Keith Baker: Exploring Eberron

Eberron creator Keith Baker has been busy recently! He has unveiled the cover to his new book, to be released in July on DMs Guild in PDF and Print on Demand hardcover. It will dive into parts of Eberron that have received little attention in prior books, including the undersea civilizations and the planes.

1574272975183.png

Keith sent Sly Flourish a PDF copy of the book, which Sly flipped through

Also, check out the KB Presents Twitter for past previews

Last edited:

ChaosOS

Legend
Also wonder what else is in this that isn’t in the wayfarers guide pdf....unless I overlooked it somewhere.

Are you confusing Exploring Eberron with the book that came out this week, Rising from the Last War? Exploring Eberron is all new content tackling topics like the undersea civilizations, the planes, and the new dwarf-daelkyr connection, as opposed to the setting-intro material of Wayfinder's/Rising.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Are you confusing Exploring Eberron with the book that came out this week, Rising from the Last War? Exploring Eberron is all new content tackling topics like the undersea civilizations, the planes, and the new dwarf-daelkyr connection, as opposed to the setting-intro material of Wayfinder's/Rising.

not confusing the 2, but your explanation did tell me the difference between this Exploringbook and the previous 2....so thanks for the info!

Dr. Bull

Adventurer
I'm very grateful that Eberron is back! Keith Baker's work is always imaginative, consistent, and cool. As far as I'm concerned, I don't need additional rules on psionics... I'll just take the magic rules and change the descriptors. (Those of you who love Savage Worlds know how powerful this approach is.)

By that logic, you could easily convert the Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, or even Wizard and then add another "school," "patron," or "origin". Call them "psi-warrior" or "mental guardian". Use monks, but describe their chi powers as psi powers? The eldritch knight and arcane trickster sub-classes also fit easily into this approach.

After all, Vicious Mockery, Dissonant Whispers, and a host of other spells already exist. In my new Eberron campaign, the spell Flaming Sphere will also be called "Rolling Pyrokinesis".

To paraphrase Greywulf (an old-school gaming genius), D&D 5e is an "effect-based" system that can elegantly incorporate description to provide uniqueness. The artificer class is all about creativity and unique specialties. If it doesn't break the game, why worry?

A lot of us worry a lot about "official" rules and content. Yet the PHB and DMG encourage the utilization of house rules. Let's play some games and have some fun, eh?

FYI: The new Eberron book is amazing. In my humble opinion, it's the best book EVAR! When I go camping, I will read this book. When I am feeling depressed, I will read this book. When I am happy, I will read this book...

- Dr. Bull

Last edited:

Dr. Bull

Adventurer
I'm very grateful that Eberron is back! Keith Baker's work is always imaginative, consistent, and cool. As far as I'm concerned, I don't need additional rules on psionics... I'll just take the magic rules and change the descriptors. (Those of you who love Savage Worlds know how powerful this approach is.)

By that logic, you could easily convert the Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, or even Wizard and then add another "school," "patron," or "origin". Call them "psi-warrior" or "mental guardian". Use monks, but describe their chi powers as psi powers? The eldritch knight and arcane trickster sub-classes also fit easily into this approach.

After all, Vicious Mockery, Dissonant Whispers, and a host of other spells already exist. In my new Eberron campaign, the spell Flaming Sphere will also be called "Rolling Pyrokinesis".

To paraphrase Greywulf (an old-school gaming genius), D&D 5e is an "effect-based" system that can elegantly incorporate description to provide uniqueness. The artificer class is all about creativity and unique specialties. If it doesn't break the game, why worry?

A lot of us worry a lot about "official" rules and content. Yet the PHB and DMG encourage the utilization of house rules. Let's play some games and have some fun, eh?

FYI: The new Eberron book is amazing. In my humble opinion, it's the best book EVAR.

- Dr. Bull

Dr. Bull is obviously full of bull.

- Dr. Bull

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Eberron has several unique materials(metals, wood varieties, many sorts of crystals, etc), one of them is a purple metal called byeshk. :D

Given that byeshk is A) from an entirely different continent than Reidra, B) is, iirc, a particularly dense material best used for blunt weaponry, and C) has properties that make it especially effective against abberations, as in, the things that are possessing the Inspired, I highly doubt that that's the connection.

I still think it's psicrowns. :unsure:

ChaosOS

Legend
not confusing the 2, but your explanation did tell me the difference between this Exploringbook and the previous 2....so thanks for the info!

I'll edit the OP for clarity

Given that byeshk is A) from an entirely different continent than Reidra, B) is, iirc, a particularly dense material best used for blunt weaponry, and C) has properties that make it especially effective against abberations, as in, the things that are possessing the Inspired, I highly doubt that that's the connection.

Quori have been fiends in past editions and will be fiends again in ExE - they're nightmare spirits and thus fundamentally comprehensible, plus this makes sure stuff like Divine Sense and Dispel Evil and Good work. But yes it's definitely a psionic metal and not Byeshk.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

could be, but also ;D
Byeshk: Mined in the Byeshkand graywall mountains bordering droaam. This rare metal is prized by smiths for making Jewelry and weapons. It has a lustrous purple sheen and is hard and dense. a bludgeoning weapons ... 3.5 stuff
I think a lot of 3.5 stuff just used that purple for lots of stuff. It doesn't really matter what substance it is though, eberron has lots of them & that was my point.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases