D&D 5E Keith Baker: Exploring Eberron

Eberron creator Keith Baker has been busy recently! He has unveiled the cover to his new book, to be released in July on DMs Guild in PDF and Print on Demand hardcover. It will dive into parts of Eberron that have received little attention in prior books, including the undersea civilizations and the planes.

Eberron creator Keith Baker has been busy recently! He has unveiled the cover to his new book, to be released in July on DMs Guild in PDF and Print on Demand hardcover. It will dive into parts of Eberron that have received little attention in prior books, including the undersea civilizations and the planes.

1574272975183.png

Keith sent Sly Flourish a PDF copy of the book, which Sly flipped through

Also, check out the KB Presents Twitter for past previews

Staffan

Legend
I'm very grateful that Eberron is back! Keith Baker's work is always imaginative, consistent, and cool. As far as I'm concerned, I don't need additional rules on psionics... I'll just take the magic rules and change the descriptors. (Those of you who love Savage Worlds know how powerful this approach is.)
The way I see it, if you wanted to make a psionic monster, or a single psionic character (particularly if it's going to be a short-term character), reskinning a sorcerer and maybe adding some spells from other classes would work. But that approach doesn't really have much depth to it - there isn't much room for having many different types of psionic characters that way. So for a campaign where psionics is a big deal, you'd need more.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
So for a campaign where psionics is a big deal, you'd need more.

Exactly.

I've already done the former just to get some of the psionics flavors in games. Taking a sorcerer and having them use spellpoints while everyone else was on the standard spell slots (even regular sorcerers).

Giving them Subtle spell as a bonus metamagic, etc.

But it's not the same...

Given that byeshk is A) from an entirely different continent than Reidra, B) is, iirc, a particularly dense material best used for blunt weaponry, and C) has properties that make it especially effective against abberations, as in, the things that are possessing the Inspired, I highly doubt that that's the connection.

I still think it's psicrowns. :unsure:

The kalashtar headdresses are called "pela." They are "pela" made from a psionicially cultured crystal substance called "sentira."

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The kalashtar headdresses are called "pela." They are "pela" made from a psionicially cultured crystal substance called "sentira."

Keith Baker said:
Just what are those headdresses/crests the kalashtar wear?
The odd accoutrements worn by both kalashtar and Inspired are crafted from a substance called sentira. This is a psiactive material that is essentially solidified emotion. It is shaped by thought and has a texture similar to horn or shell. Sentira objects possess a psychic resonance that Inspired and kalashtar find comforting, and the material also serves as an ideal foundation for many psionic items.

Do they have a name?
The horned sentira headdresses often seen on quori-influenced characters are called pela, as in "sentira pela".

Are there magical versions with plusses to something or other?
While you could enchant them, you're more likely to find them with embedded psionic abilities. You remember psicrowns from the Expanded Psionic Handbook? Bingo. At the DM's discretion, a pela could also serve the same function as a crystal mask, even though it doesn't fully cover the face. And there are others with lesser embedded effects.

I learned something new but also feel like... 25% vindicated. I consider that a win/win! :cool:

I really want daelkyr half-blood to come back in an official, or at least Keith Baker prescribed, capacity. Ideally, I'd like them to get a more authentic sounding name and let "half-blood" be an epithet.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I really want daelkyr half-blood to come back in an official, or at least Keith Baker prescribed, capacity. Ideally, I'd like them to get a more authentic sounding name and let "half-blood" be an epithet.
Judging by Keith's comments in the Dwarves post, I don't think that's going to happen. "I didn't work on that book, and we chose not to carry that concept forward" is pretty much polite code for "I don't like it."

Remove ads

Remove ads