D&D 5E Keith Baker: Exploring Eberron

Eberron creator Keith Baker has been busy recently! He has unveiled the cover to his new book, to be released in July on DMs Guild in PDF and Print on Demand hardcover. It will dive into parts of Eberron that have received little attention in prior books, including the undersea civilizations and the planes.

Eberron creator Keith Baker has been busy recently! He has unveiled the cover to his new book, to be released in July on DMs Guild in PDF and Print on Demand hardcover. It will dive into parts of Eberron that have received little attention in prior books, including the undersea civilizations and the planes.

1574272975183.png

Keith sent Sly Flourish a PDF copy of the book, which Sly flipped through

Also, check out the KB Presents Twitter for past previews

ChaosOS

Legend
New (short) Keith post

Also, someone on the discord pointed out that the Malenti are mentioned under the backgrounds header, for what that's worth.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
New (short) Keith post

Also, someone on the discord pointed out that the Malenti are mentioned under the backgrounds header, for what that's worth.

Ah, good point. That actually makes a lot more sense. Malenti must be a background exclusive to Sea Elves - you're not a Sea Elf, you just look and act and have the powers of one. You're actually a Sahuagin agent in disguise. ;)

And that makes sense for Goblinoids too. Not much room for subraces/racial substitute abilities, there. But it makes sense for a Goblinoid background. And Changelings don't have much room for alt racial features, either. Backgrounds makes a lot of sense. I should have seen it.

Races include Gnolls we know. I wonder what else. Maybe he'll reprint the expanded Shifters, Tieflings, & Halfling, subraces from Morgrave Miscellany?

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I can't wait for the subclasses.
Any idea what they might be? I think he's played the cards close to the chest, but maybe I missed something in the blog (and/or he posted exclusively to his Patreons about it). I was a little disappointed by Morgrave reusing some subclasses from Xanathar's Lost Notes…

Weiley31

Legend
Any idea what they might be? I think he's played the cards close to the chest, but maybe I missed something in the blog (and/or he posted exclusively to his Patreons about it). I was a little disappointed by Morgrave reusing some subclasses from Xanathar's Lost Notes…
Well Gentle, the Kalashtar character from the book, has a whole new Monk subclass that pretty much gives ya Eldritch/Mind Blade Claws so there's that. She is seen wounding an Aberration with em on the cover of the book. So I have no idea if its Baker's take on the Way of the Soulknife monk subclass that Mearls made or something else entirely.

ChaosOS

Legend
The back cover of the book mentions a darkblood dwarf subrace which seems to be a dwarf specific Daelkyr Half Blood.

Re:morgraves misc. Keith got a new mechanics designer after what happened with that book, so there's not going to be any subclass overlap. From what I've heard on the discord all the mechanics are brand new (to 5e - apparently at least a few things, not sure in what categories, will be conversions of 3.5 mechanics)

ChaosOS

Legend
Small update from the Discord - Editing and layout are in the final stages, they're just trying to catch as many errors as possible before POD submission.

The Editor/Layout said:
Which is why I had the final chapter of the book in a state I thought was ready to publish 2 days ago, but went ahead and followed my plan to work through it one more time, just in case. And I I'm very very glad I did. Print-on-demand is brutal. You can't make mistakes and fix them later.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The back cover of the book mentions a darkblood dwarf subrace which seems to be a dwarf specific Daelkyr Half Blood.

Re:morgraves misc. Keith got a new mechanics designer after what happened with that book, so there's not going to be any subclass overlap. From what I've heard on the discord all the mechanics are brand new (to 5e - apparently at least a few things, not sure in what categories, will be conversions of 3.5 mechanics)
Good, I was less than impressed with the mechanics in Morgraves.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Good, I was less than impressed with the mechanics in Morgraves.
It was hit or miss for me (much like Xanathar's Lost Notes, and that's Guild Adepts!), but I hope that he steer's clear of the flavor from Morgrave Miscellany to avoid having some of us pay twice for the same concept, but with different mechanics. Sure, update the mechanics through playtest (like with the Wayfinder's Guide), but don't make us shell out twice for two alternative takes on the Greater & Siberys Dragonmarks, Child of Khyber, Bone Knight, etc).

I'd rather he either reprint the content from Morgrave if it HAS to be in Exploring Eberron or else publish an update to Morgrave with the revised version from Exploring. Of course, most of all I'd rather the two books have no overlap whatsoever, so that I can use Rising From the Last War, Exploring Eberron, and Morgrave Miscellany as a three-book set to review different Eberron mechanics and areas of interest.

Remove ads

Remove ads