Hit Dice: 5d8+5 (27 hp)
Initiative: +2 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft, swim 30 ft
AC: 17 (+2 Dex, +5 natural)
Attacks: Slam +5 melee
Damage: Slam grapple
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Charm, improved grab
Special Qualities: Plant, reshape form, amphibious, telepathy, fire resistance 20
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 17
Climate/Terrain: Any aquatic and underground
Organization: Solitary or bed (1-4)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Medium-size); 11-15 HD (Large)

In their true form, kelpies are indistinguishable from normal seaweed. They are found in saltwater and freshwater, swamps, fens, and stagnated underground pools and lakes. Sages and scholars believe the kelpies were created by an evil water elemental goddess.

In her human guise, a kelpie appears as a beautiful female with long flowing dark hair, emerald eyes, and soft, pale skin. She is cloaked in robes of seaweed or wears nothing at all. A kelpie often assumes a semi-human form in which her lower torso is composed entirely of seaweed.

Combat
Kelpies lie in wait for their foes (most often males) and when a target moves within range, the kelpie reshapes her form to appear human (in most cases she takes the form of a drowning woman) so as to lure the target closer. If the ruse is not detected and the opponent moves within 5 feet of the kelpie, she attacks, attempting to drown her victim. Drowned foes are taken back to the kelpie’s lair and devoured.

Charm (Su): Once per day, as charm monster cast by a 9th-level sorcerer (Will save DC 15). If the save fails, the victim believes the kelpie to be a very beautiful and attractive creature. The kelpie can automatically grapple a charmed foe (no grapple check is required). Charmed victims are drowned. Female creatures are immune to the kelpie’s charm ability; only males can be affected.
The charm is negated if the victim dies, the kelpie dies, or dispel magic, greater dispelling, miracle, or wish is cast on the victim.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the kelpie must hit with both slam attacks. If it gets a hold, it drags the foe underwater and attempts to drown him. If the victim is charmed, the kelpie automatically grapples the victim. The kelpie has a grapple bonus of +5.

Plant: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. Not subject to critical hits.

Reshape Form (Su): A kelpie’s natural form is that of a mass of dark green seaweed. It can assume three other forms. The first is a Small or Medium-size female humanoid. The second form is a hippocampus (q.v.). The third form is a Large, green horse. In each form, the kelpie retains all of her special abilities. She doesn’t truly alter her form (like shapechangers do), she simply reshapes her body. In all of her forms, the kelpie’s skin/fur is dark green and her features are grotesque and slightly distorted. The kelpie’s ruse can be detected if an opponent succeeds at a Spot check (DC 5).

Amphibious (Ex): Kelpies can survive out of the water for 1 hour per 2 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules on page 85 in the DMG).

Telepathy (Su): Kelpies can communicate telepathically with any creature she has touched.

Credit
The Kelpie originally appeared in the First Edition Fiend Folio (© TSR/Wizards of the Coast, 1981) and is used by permission.

15. Copyright Notice
Author Scott Greene, based on original material by Lawrence Schick.

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Not too shaby, Grazzt.
Ya know, I just might be able to use this in one of my Realms campaigns. It will fit nicely in the Marsh of Chelimber.:D

Question: Wasn't the kelpie an evil spirit from celtic folklore?

Last edited:

Incubus

First Post
??

I always tought the Kelpie was a green horse that had the power to ONLY charm females! To change into a beautifull unicorn and then take the woman on their back and jump of the cliff drown and eat them..

I like the seaweed change part and I Like the kelpie to be plant! But I dislike the female part,, I think the kelpie needs to lure only females, and I also tought the kelpie is able to change landscapes(With illusions) So he can change the dark swamp into a lovely paradise full of beautifull animals. But this all is just an illusion from the kelpie.

Here's a pic of the kelpie
354125_75490.jpg

But isn't there a picture of the D&D kelpie anywhere?

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
The original kelpie is also called the water horse, and is a Celtic spirit from the wilds of Scotland.

It apepars as a magnificent horse and attempts to lure (both men and women) onto its back to go for a ride. If anyone mounts the horse, they stick fast to its backand it charges into the water. There are several species of water horse. Some are playful, only playing pranks and giving trapped riders a good soaking. Some truly evil and consume the bodies of those they drown. Some can assume human form, where they can be recognized by the water weeds in their hair.

Magus Darkholme

First Post
DnDChick said:
The original kelpie is also called the water horse, and is a Celtic spirit from the wilds of Scotland.

It apepars as a magnificent horse and attempts to lure (both men and women) onto its back to go for a ride. If anyone mounts the horse, they stick fast to its backand it charges into the water. There are several species of water horse. Some are playful, only playing pranks and giving trapped riders a good soaking. Some truly evil and consume the bodies of those they drown. Some can assume human form, where they can be recognized by the water weeds in their hair.

I thought so.
Thanks a heap for the clarification DnDChick!:D

Grazzt

Demon Lord
True enough, but the Kelpie from the 1e FF could shapechange into a female in order to lure her opponents closer.

Remove ads