Kensai Weapons, and Monk Weapons In General

Al2O3

Explorer
Rogues can already pick up a whip, tbf. I’m just proposing letting them have a 2hand option that is 1 die step higher.

And yeah, the polearm isn’t a big deal for Monks, one on one. It does let them have more targets with their many attacks, though, which is fun.
I didn't realise that the whip could be used like that. Still, it feels wrong to me. That is not the same as it being overpowered or that anyone else ought to share those feelings.

If the character seems like Indiana Jones I would even be fine with a rogue using the whip as a primary weapon.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I didn't realise that the whip could be used like that. Still, it feels wrong to me. That is not the same as it being overpowered or that anyone else ought to share those feelings.

If the character seems like Indiana Jones I would even be fine with a rogue using the whip as a primary weapon.

Fair enough. I am curious as to why, though?

Speaking of rogue weapons, why the butt aren’t clubs and handaxes available for sneak attacking?

Al2O3

Explorer
Fair enough. I am curious as to why, though?

Speaking of rogue weapons, why the butt aren’t clubs and handaxes available for sneak attacking?
For me it's all about the irrational dislike for the mental image I get. If convincing me to change my mind was relevant (it probably isn't), it would probably be a good idea to show pictures of obviously badass rogues using a whip or whatever other weapon I'm against.

I even had to find inspiring pictures to feel fine making my High Elf Eldritch Knight use a greatsword instead of using a longsword with two hands. In that case it was all about the mental image.

TL;DR:
Irrational dislike for the mental image.

G

Guest 6801328

Way of the Glaive

3rd level: Spears are quarterstaves are considered Reach weapons when wielded by you.

6th level: When an opponent enters your reach you may use your reaction to make a single weapon attack against that opponent.

11th level: You can spend an Action putting on a fearsome display of martial prowess with your equipped weapon or weapons. Enemies within 30' who can see you must make a Wisdom save or be frightened of you for 1 minute. They may make an another saving throw at the end of each of their turns, and any creature who saves is immune to this effect from you for 24 hours. Only works against enemies of 3 Int or higher. 1/short rest.

17th level: When using your Stunning Strike with a weapon you are wielding with two hands, expend 3 Ki to impose Disadvantage on the Saving Throw.

Not to toot my own horn (TOOT! TOOT!) but although I was writing this mostly to say, "See...easy to get what you want with a sub-class!" now that I've written it I kind of want to play it.

The capstone is a little weak. I'll work on that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I just flat removed the Finesse requirement for sneak attack. Solves this and a couple of other mental image issues in one go.

That’s fair, although I do think that pretty much all the smallish Weapons should be finesse even without considering Sneak Attack, but I also don’t care about protecting strength characters

G

Guest 6801328

How's this for a capstone?

"When making a melee attack with Advantage using a weapon you wield with both hands, your range for critical hits is reduced by your Wisdom modifier."

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Not to toot my own horn (TOOT! TOOT!) but although I was writing this mostly to say, "See...easy to get what you want with a sub-class!" now that I've written it I kind of want to play it.

The capstone is a little weak. I'll work on that.
Unless I'm missing something, isn't the Way of the Glaive monk not proficient with... Glaives? :)

I'd probably add something like "You becomes proficient with all martial weapons with the Reach property, and can treat them as monk weapons for all monk class features. Additionally, the spear and the quarterstaff are considered Reach weapons when wielded by you."

Remove ads