• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kevin Smith (Ares from Xena) dead

Skullfyre

First Post
*hanging head low*
A moment of silence please
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Thank you..
*raises sword to the sky*

Safe journey kevin smith safe journey

Henry@home

First Post
Psionicist,

As unfairly as the human psyche works, familiarity of a deceased individual brings felings of loss. Those to whom he is familiar and who have admired his work will feel a loss in the relatively young and untimely end of such a person. It doesn't make him any more valuable, just more well-known.

I admired his work, and am sorry that such a potential rising star has fallen. He will be missed.

TBoarder

Explorer
Psionicist said:
Too bad.

I don't know that guy. I don't even know who he is. People die every day - every minute. Why oh why does they only mention "celebrities" in the news? On the websites? In the radio? Are they important? Of course they are! Are they better than everyone else - no way! They are no better humans than you, me or that poor kid who died in some exotic fever far far away. Why aren't he in the news? Are this Kevin dude better and more worthy sa a human than this particular kid?

No way.

It's not a question of importance, it's the fact that those of us who watched Hercules and Xena KNEW him. Not personally, but he was a familiar face for us. It's the same situation in a way as the World Trade Center attack. 3,000 people died, and SO many of them are nameless and faceless to us. There were some who were recognizable though due to their contributions to the entertainment industry; The producer of Frasier and Barbara Olson spring to mind immediately. There's no WAY anyone is saying their deaths are more of a "loss" than the other 3,000 people who lost their lives. There's not a single person who would "rank" them as more important than the hundreds of firefighters who lost their lives or the thousands of innocent people who died simply by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We remember them because we KNEW them. Millions of people watch Frasier every week, millions of people read Barbara Olson's books. They're the recognizable faces in the tragedy. My posting of the announcement of Kevin Smith's death wasn't an announcement of "The death of the most important person in the world", it was an announcement of the death of someone we recognized and knew, of someone who may have influenced many of us in our D&D adventures.

Jamdin said:
He was a good actor but too bad he will be remember for mostly Ares who was good guy to hate.

He'll be remembered for entertaining us. I don't think this is a bad thing at all. :)

Bonedagger

First Post
Psionicist said:
Too bad.

I don't know that guy. I don't even know who he is. People die every day - every minute. Why oh why does they only mention "celebrities" in the news? On the websites? In the radio? Are they important? Of course they are! Are they better than everyone else - no way! They are no better humans than you, me or that poor kid who died in some exotic fever far far away. Why aren't he in the news? Are this Kevin dude better and more worthy sa a human than this particular kid?

No way.

It's about losing something. In this case about losing something somebody on this board had as a fun element in their life. Somebody might have felt something uniq gone lost. Don't think they are patronizing none-celebs deaths as being not as important. Don't assume the worst.

mmadsen

First Post
Why oh why does they only mention "celebrities" in the news?

Because we all know celebrities -- that's why they're celebrities, after all -- and people care more about people they know than people they don't know. It doesn't have to be a measure of human worth.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Li Hao, a spokeswoman for one of the companies involved in Warriors of Virtue II, said Smith, who had completed his film contract the day before the fall, had made a big impression.

Just how far did he fall?

Wulf

Dahak

Explorer
Henry@home said:
Wulf, that was rude, crass, and uncalled for!

...and I can't even type that with a straight face, darn you!

The irony is, Kevin Smith probably would have found that article's poor choice of words amusing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads