Khemet - Epic Egyptian Campaign [IC and intro]

Brazeku

First Post
Introduction

Since the earliest times, the Great River ran through the land of Khemet - each day and night, sweet waters graced the sons of men with divine nourishment. Years came and passed, but the waters never faltered - even as Re in the sky rose and conquered the night, so did the river rise and fall. Cities gathered up on its banks, and Khemet lived and breathed as a nation of men.

But that’s an old story, and one day, its stele was broken. There was a great clamor in the south, and a terrible brightness in the sky. As the river of water stretched across the earth, so did a new river – a river of fire – stretch across the heavens. Destruction rained down, a punishment from the Gods: and so the cities fell, one by one. First Amut, then Batepshet, and finally Meptah; white stone and tall palm tumbled to the ground, bathed in divine fire.

And what of the temples? Their brick was left pristine, but the scribes were struck blind to a man, the temple maidens scarred and their harps broken. All the priests lamented, for the voices of their lords were no longer to be heard: only the silence of soft wind and darkness met the ear of the priesthood. Why had the Gods chosen this trial for the people of Khemet? For a full turn of the seasons the question remained unanswered.

But soon there were those who knew - raised from all stations in life, filled with divine power. They called themselves Djeret-Netjer and they were here to finish the work of the Gods on earth. In wake of the flames, only three groups remain: the devout, the Djeret-Netjer, and those who have yet to be destroyed.

Ground Rules

We'll be moving along at a fairly active clip, but I won't enforce posting. I would prefer one post a day from each of you, but that isn't a requirement - if you move more slowly, all that means is that you will miss out on decision making.

Fights will be played out as quickly as is dramatically appropriate. The emphasis is more on problem solving and strategies/ability use in battle, but of course I will be taking into account how viable your characters are in a violent confrontation (ie their damage output, choice of actions, and versatility of their arsenal). I may request rolls or not, depending on the situation and player preference. Skill checks, again I'll be looking at your character's raw stats, and possibly requesting (or making) an actual roll.

Cleverness and good character development will be rewarded, as will a person's ability to make the game better for everyone else - teamwork and problem-solving, again, will come in very handy. Although you are epic and can easily destroy many, many threats, keep in mind that the serious opponents you are facing will also be epic, likely moreso than you. Once a battle is concluded I will post up the stats if requested.

You may choose a color to post in if you wish. I will be using blue and red for various different spiritual entities. I will be starting an OOC thread for you to use for general discussion and any questions you may have.

Brazeku

First Post
Chapter 1 – The High Priest of Meres

This is from the perspective of all of the players, who have been called to the same location by the connection to their God.

The city of Meptah was once a wonderful place to behold. Tales were told of glittering fountains, white limestone walls, and grand palaces lined with pomegranate trees and papyrus pools. Well no longer. You stand before an empty husk of a place, the cast away cocoon of a people that has fled on spirit wings to a darker destination. Little remains; once proud pillars lay scattered across the ground like broken pottery, scorched patches of earth strewn with glowing red fibers – the telltale mark of the destruction – cover the roads and pathways. What was once the city of a thousand temples, the most pious in all of Khemet, was the first to fall, with only the holiest places left untouched. Few people remain, and those that do speak in hushed tones of the hordes of ghosts and ba-spirits which crowd around the ruin of the temple of Osiris by the great river.

You have only begun to gather your bearings and seek out one of the remaining temples when a group of bedraggled men, backs darkened by sun and bowed by toil, approaches you. They glance at each other uncertainly, before one is almost pushed forward, stuttering:

“Strangers, please leave this place. There is nothing here for you to take, and even if you were to brave the inner city, you would only meet your deaths. Please go in peace.”

Only now do you notice that the men are all carrying makeshift weapons – farm implements mostly, plus the occasional battered spear. Some have recent wounds. You catch sight of a woman carrying a bundled child ducking away in a makeshift lean-to, and then realize that there are probably dozens of people living in this ruin. The men form a weary line before you, obviously unready for any serious assault but willing to give their blood and breath if they must.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Runihuna shakes his head slightly, "I shall not leave, nor shall I fight you. You hold marks of battle, against who?" Runihuna feels his bow's urges, the instinct to reward the holy and punish the unjust. He just couldn't tell which one the bow was urging. "I will come to understand you fully Arm of Set. We will be one." He feels pity overwhelm him, and nearly breaks into tears. "I have not food to give you, but perhaps I can help. Do you need water? He reaches for his waterskin (decanter of endless water), "A gift from Set himself. The water will never run dry. While I cannot give it to you, I can promise that as long as I am here, you will not go thirsty." He holds his hands open, the waterskin hanging from his left hand, his bow balancing on his right. He stands like that and waits, unwilling to force these poor men to either attack or be afraid of him.

ooc: I might as well say it before someone comes along and is rude about it. The IC stuff is (I guess) suppose to go into the Playing the Game thread. No worries though, you aren't the first one to post the IC stuff in the Talking the Talk thread. :)

Nephtys

First Post
Atseret watches the ruined city with sadness. Mortal men had been given so much by the Gods, skill and power enough to make them arrogant and turn their backs on their blessings. And the Gods themselves had allowed the world of men to fall from their grace to make an example of its punishment. Though the fall of the mortals had perhaps been inevitable, their punishment was natural and just. For the crime of forgetting ones place in existance destiny was not a mitigating defense.
Atseret watches the righteous few, bent and bedraggled, punished for the crimes of their brethren and he feels some tiny spark of pity. They too had been punished and so they too had been guilty. If only for the crime of not redeeming their fellow men. The Gods could be harsh in their judgements, but that was not for him or any mortal to question. Atseret, a withered old man in the humble black robes of a priest of Osiris, watches them and speaks. "Death is not to be feared, not for ones who follow the will of the Gods. Your enemies can never truly harm you, nor can hunger or thirst, only your own deeds and thoughts can. So fear nothing but your own impurity and be at ease if you have nothing to fear. The Gods have spared you for a reason and sent us to cleanse the taint they have deigned to leave for lesser beings to purge. So aid us, good men, and tell us what awaits us in the inner city."

Brazeku

First Post
The speaker steps back slightly, head bowed in thought. He looks back and forth between Runihuna and Atseret, as if in contemplation.

“My head tells me that I should be wary of armed strangers offering gifts, but my heart is calm – you seem pious and good. Regardless of your intentions, we need what you offer; we haven’t been able to reach the river for days now, with the banks so shrouded in spirits.” With this, he glances over his shoulder, and the other men seem to visibly soften their stances. “And no raider would have offered us anything, aside from an arrow to the leg and a blade for the throat.”

The sense of tension that had lingered in the air is washed away, and several men walk past you, intent to guard what you suppose is the edge of their territory. The speaker glances downward wearily, accepting a swig of water from Runihuna's decanter.

“You wonder at our wounds, well, the city – what remains of it – is beset by robbers and opportunists. They have attacked us since the walls fell; it’s been a slow war over the course of months. We fight, but there are always more. We hold strong, but it is difficult.”
“And death. Yes, we fear it. Because death is something to be feared in this city, now.” A few men nod in agreement. “The Gods have left us. You wish to know what lays in the city center? The spirits of our dead, denied a place in the afterlife. Pious, impious, cruel or kind, it matters not – we see their faces in the mist regardless of their place and nature in life."

He looks to the sky almost scornfully, frowning at the molten river arcing through the noonday sun.

"At first, we provided offerings, gold and incense, left as near to the temple as we could reach,”
“But then,” he spits, “the raiders stole our offerings. There is nothing in the great temple but destruction, now. Hateful spirits lash out at any men who enter. The only reason we don’t flee the city is that the desert is an even harsher mistress, and our children would never survive.”

“Strangers, our thanks for your kindness, but this is a tragedy that you had best leave behind. If you have survived the desert, then there is nothing stopping you from leaving before misfortune finds you.”

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"Mortal, I cannot leave this behind even if it was my will. I am Runihuna, a warrior of long before your time, brought back to this world by Set himself. Indeed, all of us were chosen by the gods." Runihuna turns to the others in his group, "Perhaps we should be started."

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
The presence of Asar is like a blast from a furnace, and the dry heat that surrounds him is enough to steal the breath of the mortals around him. All that is visible of him under the heavy robes he wears despite the heat are his hands, withered and dry. That hand gestured slowly as a wave of soothing light spreads from him, alighting on those injured, and he speaks in a raspy voice. "The jackal has not claimed you yet, mortals, do not throw yourself to him, it is unseemly."

[sblock=OOC]Dropping Revivify to cast a Mass Cure Light Wounds to heal them for 1d8+18 points of damage.[/sblock]

Nephtys

First Post
"Undeath doesn't last." Atseret glances at Asar, but speaks still to the mortals before him. "Only death is eternal, and once this time of trials is past Osiris will once again open his gates to the faithful and unfaithful alike. Your perseverance will be rewarded, and ours is mandated by the Gods. We cannot turn back, for our salvation lies beyond those walls. Be faithful, and yours will follow."
"Yes, Runihuna. Let us proceed."

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Runihuna nods and sprints 20ft toward the townsmen. He leaps suddenly, sailing over the men's heads and landing gracefully on the other side of the stunned men. "So be it, it has begun." He turns his head toward his companions, "I shall be ahead." Runihuna speeds off into the direction the men originally came from. Attempting to discern the tracks of these men from any others in the area.

Runihuna's attempt to leap over the townsmen. (1d20+20=33)

Roll for looking for tracks. (1d20+27=42)

Okay, I admit it, that was purely for show. Just wanted to see what he could do. :)
I forgot to add the modifiers for the running start +12, and for my boots +5. So my roll was actually a 50.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases