Khemet - Epic Egyptian Campaign [IC and intro]

Shayuri

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Illuminati conspirators have stolen a lot of my time over the past couple days, but I don't want to hold the game up any more than I already have. Just roll the Knowledge: Arcana skill from my currently posted build. It should suffice for now. I'll have the rebuilt up ASAP.[/sblock]

Brazeku

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Nac Mac Feegle: I’ll handle the rolling for knowledge checks, no worries. Shayuri: no problem, just fill me in when you get a chance.[/sblock]

Search Check results: As near as you can tell, there are no traps around, just a few shards of broken pottery, eggshell, and some flour. The spirits make no attempt to stop you while you move about, although they seem to watch you constantly. Your search result was high enough to notice that there was recently a large object of some sort in the center of the street, judging by the slight displacement of sand and dirt there. It seems to have been lifted up directly and removed. You can’t tell what it was, aside from the fact that it was likely rigid and fairly heavy.

Knowledge: Religion Check results:

[sblock=religion check] These are ba spirits, one of the components of the soul. After death, they often hover around their former bodies, before eventually leaving for the underworld. It seems very strange that there are so many with no bodies in sight, and equally strange that they have remained here for more than a few days. You’ve never seen or heard of anything like it.

Nac Mac Feegle and Shayuri, both of your knowledge checks were high enough to realize that the tatters being held in the claws of the ba-spirits are the remains of linen strips used in mummification. White is the color most commonly used, neither of you are sure of the significance of the red wrappings.[/sblock]

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Runihuna put his hand on his clean shaven chin. "Someone, or possibly something, very strong was here. It looks like there use to be something large and heavy here, maybe a statue, that was simply picked up and moved." Runihuna smiles as he feels a surge of emotion from his bow. He knew what it wanted, but it would have to wait. Spirits can't just be attacked, it's not as simple as that. Runihuna goes back to the land. Whatever picked it up has to of left tracks, unless they flew. He was dead set on finding them.

Attempt to find tracks (1d20+27=32)

Brazeku

First Post
I've waited a bit, but now I'm going to pick up the pace a little from this point onward.

Runihuna glances about the ground, searching for tracks or traces of passage, but there are none to be found, only the strange disturbance that he noted earlier. However, as he is doing this, coils of wispy black smoke, barely visible at all, begin to twist and writhe out of the shadows and unseen crannies of the alleyway. At first it seems little more than a bizarre extension of the darkness between places where the sun doesn't touch, but after a few moments it becomes very clear that something unusual is going on.

Within moments, there is a dark mass, like a pooling of black liquid, gathering in the center of the alleyway and floating in midair. A nearly subsonic wail accompanies it, and you see the outline of something in the depths, something large. As one, the ba-spirits around you flee, like crows scattered by a shotgun blast. You are all filled with a sense of overwhelming dread as a crocodilian visage edges partway from the darkness.

Shayuri

First Post
Minnefret twists her hand just so...and the Ibis-headed staff appears in her grip as if it had always been there. She then takes a moment to consult the small, elaborately bound tome bound to her belt by a length of chain that seemed as long as necessary for her to read it, but never broke.

(Using Tome of Worldly Knowledge to gain +5 to a Knowledge check. If the check is Knowledge Arcana, total skill mod is +26. If it's Religion, skill mod will be +12. Attempting to identify this creature and determine what it can do, and what will be effective in opposing it. Revised sheet finally posted. Apologies for delay!)

Brazeku

First Post
Any mortal who dwells in Khemet could identify this particular beast - as it surges from the pool of blackness it becomes clear exactly who and what she is. This is Ammut, Great of Death, the Devourer, the Eater of Hearts - that demoness who represents the final destruction of all souls who do not live their lives by the rules of Ma'at. She has a city to her name, and her fury is unknowable. To speak of vanquishing Ammut is to speak of vanquishing the void itself.

[sblock=religion check results]Ammut's purpose is to devour the hearts of those who did wrong in life, but she is supposed to wait by the scales of justice - there is no reason for her to leave her place in the Hall of Double Ma'at. Individuals who lead pure lives should have nothing to fear from her - but even those who did not can protect themselves with specific incantations, which are somewhat outside your knowledge, although there are tomes in most temples which detail them.[/sblock]

Ammut's massive, crocodilian head regards you for only an instant, then quickly twists to follow the motion of the fleeing ba-spirits. In seconds, this imposing beast is freed from the shadowy portal, her lion's body glimmering with motes of light, her powerful hind legs still slick with blood from her macabre wallowing pool in the underworld.

The creature pays you no heed as it snaps up a few slower ba-spirits in a single mouthful, and then looks hungrily towards the few that remain behind Runihuna.

Initiative:
[sblock=initiative]
Ammut's Result: 11 (roll) + 4 (improved initiative) -2 (dexterity penalty), for 13.[/sblock]

Positioning: Runihuna is in the center of the alleyway, previously investigating the disturbances in the sand. The rest of the party is about 10 feet behind him, and there are a few of the ba-spirits lingering between the two, which look as if they are about to take flight. There are no obstructions about, and the alley is roughly 14-15 feet wide at its narrowest point. The buildings on either side are quite high - 3 to 4 stories - and there are various ledges at different heights where windows and balconies open to face you.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Runihuna looks at the spirit, "The gods have ordered your death. Begone!" He swiftly moves forward 10ft, and launches his arrows.
[sblock=OOC]

Okay, I originally intended to attack the thing, which I will still do if needed. :)

*edit* looks like we are attacking, so everything worked out fine lol. ignore all the edits.

Use skirmish which grants +5d6 dmg and +5 AC (raising my AC to 51), with the +1d6 dmg from the flaming aspect of my bow, the dmg goes to 7d6 per attack (right?)

Runihuna's Initiative, then attack rolls. (1d20+19=36, 1d20+31=34, 1d20+26=27, 1d20+21=26)

Runihuna's first attack dmg roll. (7d6=33, 7d6=19, 7d6=22)

Init: 36
Attack rolls: 34,27,26
Dmg Rolls: 33, 19, 22[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Minnefret's eyes widen at seeing the god materializing here...and consuming souls that had not yet been judged!

Eyes flashing, she does something she rarely ever does...she raises her voice.

"Ammut!! You act against the decree of Ra, and the path of Ma'at! These have not yet been weighed by Thoth! You may not have them!"

(Init: 6 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1469035/ )
(Action: Since he goes first, I want to see what he does before I declare. :))

Remove ads