Kickstarter dumpster fire?

pogre

Legend
The creator has a long history of unusual activity:
He allegedly created a shadow company that sold bitcoin mining hardware that used Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking. He apparently did not deliver to several customers - bilking them out of thousands of dollars.

He allegedly tried to sell a revision of Bobby Fischer's famous chess book that he wrote. He is quite infamous in chess circles and something of a joke.

He even has a Snopes article on him from a story he concocted about his actions to get a standardized test changed by complaining to a local school principal - something you cannot do.

He made all sorts of claims about developing AI programs that have been routinely dismissed by experts in the field.

In short, the guy is a human meltdown and his behavior in this Kickstarter is not a cry for help - it is who he is.

I recognized his name from chess circles, and thought 'nah, that cannot be the same guy' - yep, it is.

The creator has a long history of unusual activity:
He allegedly created a shadow company that sold bitcoin mining hardware that used Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking. He apparently did not deliver to several customers - bilking them out of thousands of dollars.

He allegedly tried to sell a revision of Bobby Fischer's famous chess book that he wrote. He is quite infamous in chess circles and something of a joke.

He even has a Snopes article on him from a story he concocted about his actions to get a standardized test changed by complaining to a local school principal - something you cannot do.

He made all sorts of claims about developing AI programs that have been routinely dismissed by experts in the field.

In short, the guy is a human meltdown and his behavior in this Kickstarter is not a cry for help - it is who he is.

I recognized his name from chess circles, and thought 'nah, that cannot be the same guy' - yep, it is.
is this guy some kind of alternate universe version of forest gump where instead of his movie timeline hes a con man with a long track list? Because thats what popped into my brain when i read your post. That and him not owning a company called the bubbagump shrimp company but instead one called the tomogump shrimp factory and going on a long list of the ways you can use shrimp in combinations with drugs like cocaine. What a weird con man.

Dioltach

Legend
"Cancelled by the project creator." 35 backers, 30 dollars raised, and most of them seemed to have pledged a dollar just to post a comment. Well, I suppose that's one way to research the market.

I think I can say this:

If you really want to convince other people about your point of view in some matter, respect and don't offend. This is not only for the good manners, but rudeness is a bad strategy. You need diplomacy and social skills to get and keep their trust and attention, or they will not listen you any more. Don't try to talk as if you were the sergeant Tom Highway (played by Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge) fussing Gomer Pyle (from the movie Full Metal Jacket). If you are an unknown person then you haven't got authority to admonish.

I read in a book about how to convince is never be contrary.

If in a debate somebody start to humiliate and trample then he has lost. Who really knows more thing tries to share her knowledge (sometimes looking like smarty repellent), not a strategy of psychologically mistreat against the discrepant.

Please, don't behave like toxic people, and be fast to recognize these when they start to talk and say horrible things about others.

If you want to help for the end of racism, machism ( = male chauvinism) or homophobia you have to defend the respect of the human dignity, the base of our rights. Without this the former oppressed may become a ne oppressor. Promote this values: good sense (against prejudices), trust (against fear), mercy (against hate), humility (against pride) , patiente (against resentment), understanding (empathy, to notice about the point of view by the rest). Don't trust who appeals to feelings (fear, pride, wish, resentment, shame and envy) because he is a manipulator. The saying "listen your heart" is cool in the fiction but in the real life you have to use your brain.

And we have to make an important difference between the right satire and the toxic humor. This can be really dangerous because people "from the wrong side" lose dignity and then later is easier from teasing and psychological abuse to physical violence.

Nietzsche said: "Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster". This happen when the rebels against the authority forget the respect of the human dignity and then as when madam Roland, before being executed by the guillotine (for the French Terror), said "OH LIBERTY, HOW MANY CRIMES IN YOUR NAME!"

(Sorry if anytime I didn't find the right word but English isn't my native language).

Worst managed Kickstarter in history? In this Kickstarter, things go from bad to worse. The creator has not only threatened to kill people in the comments section, he’s now spamming it with his own self-written biography to drown out negative commentary.

So far he has about 30 backers, all at $1, just backing to be able to make comments.

(please keep politics out of this despite the game’s topic)

Well, Morrus, you said it all. Really no need to click the link.

Zardnaar

Legend
My Kickstarter is an inflatable dartboard with a giant orange turnip on it.

$1 Thanks for your donation
$5 can't promise anything
$10 I'll try (maybe)
$20 photo of my cat (if I can be bothered)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Seperately: there is no one of which it is inherently wrong to make fun.

Making fun of someone for something that is not under their own control is cruel. Being willfully cruel is... not generally considered morally upstanding in most of the cultures on the planet today.

Making fun of someone for saying something boneheaded may be acceptable. Making fun of that same person for having a neurological condition that gives them tremors and make them stagger when they walk is not acceptable.

The person may not be inviolate overall, but there are manners of mockery that are wrong.

Remove ads