• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Killing a Teammate

Lanliss

Explorer
What is this metagame you speak of. What I am arguing is 100% in character. There is no game world failure chance for restoration, but there is a game world failure chance with raise dead. The PCs know this. Metagame doesn't come into this.

But if it is all in character, the PCs do not know anything about fifth level, or that they have a specific number of days before they reach the next settlement, unless they have a map of the Underdark.

I also seriously think you misjudge how bad it is to be dead in D&D. The only resurrection I can recall in the novels I read was Lwlianna Vrinn in the Lady Penitent series. It doesn't happen often, requires high level, and things could go wrong. You don't go to the happy hunting grounds. You go to the fugue plain until someone comes to pick you up. If someone comes.

D&D novels absolutely do not reflect the D&D system, because the ease of resurrection in D&D is flat out redonkulous per the rules (beginning with revivify as a THIRD level spell!). Novels of the D&D rules would be boring because of how cheap life/death is. DM fiat like Maxperson wants to rely on aside, its stupid easy to get back from the dead per the rules.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But if it is all in character, the PCs do not know anything about fifth level, or that they have a specific number of days before they reach the next settlement, unless they have a map of the Underdark.

5th level doesn't play into it at all. They know that they can get the restoration done at town and that they will be back to town in about 30-60 days. They might have a map. They might have a guide. They might only have that knowledge. However, even without that knowledge they do know that they will eventually be at someplace that they can restore her. In fact, without that knowledge there is even less cause to murder her. They might reach a settlement the next day.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
DM screwover fiat like Maxperson wants to rely on aside, its stupid easy to get back from the dead per the rules.

It's part of the mechanics of the spell. Period. That means that in game the PCs cannot ever know for sure that it will work, even if the players do know for sure because the DM told them it would work.

Lanliss

Explorer
5th level doesn't play into it at all. They know that they can get the restoration done at town and that they will be back to town in about 30-60 days. They might have a map. They might have a guide. They might only have that knowledge. However, even without that knowledge they do know that they will eventually be at someplace that they can restore her. In fact, without that knowledge there is even less cause to murder her. They might reach a settlement the next day.

I should note, I agree with you on the specific actions they should take. Keep the PC alive for as long as possible, and only ditch them in the most dire of circumstances. I just can't resist poking when I see a tiny hole in an argument, even though I know mine is not foolproof by any means.

It's part of the mechanics of the spell. Period. That means that in game the PCs cannot ever know for sure that it will work, even if the players do know for sure because the DM told them it would work.

Sorry man, but you have an overly pedantic interpretation of the text more suited to 3E than 5E, given your fixation on terms like "placed" to mean that it cant also be secured... unless something goes wrong, yeah, you can count on a rez. Hell, by that logic, I could just as easily argue no caster will cast greater restoration on the player's behalf.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sorry man, but you have an overly pedantic interpretation of the text more suited to 3E than 5E,

So you're just in denial of the 5e language. It explicitly says that the soul might not be able to come back. That's known in the game world making the spell unreliable.

ProphetaMors

First Post
I admit, I am a little new to D&D, and even newer to GM'ing. However, I feel that the situation at hand has created a bad experience for all parties involved. There is no reason to let this player be utterly useless because of 1 bad role. However, it should be punishing...but as a GM, you have rule over HOW punishing, even if the rulebook says otherwise.

For example, you have the player roll "Religion" to speak to his or her deity, and then roll an int save to perhaps gain +1 int back. Effectively having their deity grant them consciousness again. Making them, a retard, but still able to fight and be useful. A savage warrior who's mind can only fashion together combat, and basic instincts. Perhaps other PC's have to care for his/her more...basic needs, like eating, as they might not understand the difference between edible and inedible foods.

The DC for them could be relatively low, and even if failed, can be repeated...say...once every long rest aka 8 hours, or once a day?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads