• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) "Kingmaker"-alikes

Stone Dog

Adventurer
Hello, everybody
I was wondering what might be good for A5E for pioneers and settlement creation games?

Kind of want to do a fantasy version of the video game Banished, but I'm not sure what resources would be key for such a project.

It would want to be something with seasonal changes, settlement building/expansion/etc, and the like.

Is there much out there for that sort of thing?

xiphumor

Legend
I would place a heavy emphasis on crafting and downtime activities, and perhaps consider modifying some of the stronghold and follower rules to simulate building a town. However, I think A5e is going to be a game best suited to describing the adventures of the town’s heroes while the construction of the town itself serves as more of a minigame.

You might also consider using the Exploration Challenges and adapting them to impact a whole town.

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
I've been running a Westmarches-ish Kingmaker-style campaign for about six-months now. Not to suck up but the core a5e books have pretty much everything needed. I was going to use some of 'Strongholds & Followers but it's high fantasy is increasingly not suiting the tone of the campaign. Pretty much the only outside resources i've used have been Monty Cook's safety tools for on-boarding new players. Consent in Gaming - Monte Cook Games And this blog for creature body parts Creature Loot: Intro and index

For season changes, google a real world location in roughly the same place as your campaign. Note the temperature range and precipitation % for each month. Apply that to your setting.

What @xiphumor said for settlement building/expansion/et cetera... Unless the the players are really into urban design, let the PCs make broad policy decisions, while the NPCs do the implementation. Like with any character arc, make notes of player idle comments, then incorporate them into the end product.

Last edited:

Remove ads