Pathfinder 1E Kingmaker: Stolen Land

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Deciding the potential threat of the wild boars was too great, the party gives them a wide berth. Eventually their grunts die down and the group breathes a sigh of relief. Luckily, there are no further run-ins with threats and good time is made. Eventually, the horses start to tire. According to the map and following the rough layout of the roads, another half a day or so of travel should see the party to Oleg's Trading Post. You setup camp and allow the horses to rest. The night is chilly but not cold – the dying gasp of winter as it prepares to give ground to spring.

27 Calistril, 4710

You each wake early, eager to be done with your travels and ready to start your journey to fulfilling the charter. Midway through your day's ride, you spot a wooden palisade ahead of you. This must be Oleg's Trading Post! As you get closer, you note that the walls are ten feet high and at each corner are 20-foot square watchtowers. Each are armed with a run-down catapult, likely leftovers from the site's original use as a border fort. Hearing the sound of a hammer, you spur your mounts forward and follow the road as it wraps around the trade post to the south. Entering the fort, you gather the hammering is coming from the roof of the building to your right.

What do you do?

Nagoby

Explorer
Emudre briefly circles her horse slightly toward the building on the right to see if she can determine what is causing the hammering sound.

OOC: Perception d20+6=9

Last edited:

Gafgarionn

First Post
Kuvarious reaches to his light warhorse, Sojourn's neck and feeds her a snack; as he looks around at the wonderful scene before him. While prepping the crossbow, just in case.
OOC: Perception 14 = 10+4

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Adrin rides his horse in a circuit around the fort so see what might be observed.
OOC: Perception: 1d20 + 7: 22

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sarvek directs his horse slowly toward the hammering sound. Like Emudre, he too, is interested in the source of the noise, and the reason for it. His sharp senses tune themselves quickly to his surroundings, his eyes observing everything, his ears listening for the faintest sound that is out-of-place.

[sblock=Sarvek's Perception Roll]
1d20+8 = (Base roll = 19) = 27
[/sblock]

Diarmadhim

Explorer
At Alexas' yell, the hammering pauses for the slightest of moments before it continues. Emudre can only assume that some repair work is being done to the building's roof. Sarvek's accute senses pickup that indeed, repair work is being done – from the sounds of it, shingles are being replaced. Kuvarious notes that the area seems to be free from potential threats, for now. Shillaadrini notes that the overall condition of the fort has been improved recently. You spot several repairs that look somewhat recent, no more than a few months old at the latest.

The main open area (A1) appears to be a market yard, where the majority of trade is likely to take place. The two tables near the fire pit have some wares on display. The building to your right (A2) is fully enclosed but looks like a small barracks for the elderly fort. To your left (A3), you hear the neigh of a horse and can only assume that the building must be a stable. A fenced in area to your north (A4) has a wooden roof and has the look of a recent addition to the area when the timber is compared to that of the other buildings. It is empty though, causing one to wonder what it's used for. Just behind it (A5), you spot some composting pits and middens. The building to your northeast (A6-A11), most likely once acted as the main hall of the fort. Its doors are open, allowing you to see that they may be barred from the inside.

As the hammering continues, a woman inquisitively exits the main hall. Seeing the lot of you, she breathes a notable sigh of relief, smiles and walks toward you all. “Welcome to our trading post! I take it you all are the group sent out with a charter for the area? I bet you all are tired – we weren't expecting your arrival for another day or so. You must have ridden hard. Come, let me lead you to the stables for your horses. From there I'll show you where you all can stay for the time being. After, we'll get you some warm food!” She beckons you to follow her and heads into the stable.

As she walks she continues, “My name is Svetlana Leveton. My husband is the one doing all of the hammering on the guesthouse roof. I'm sure he's just about done up there. It shouldn't be long before he comes to say hi. Normally, we rent out each stall for 2 silver a night. That comes with a day's worth of water and feed, as well as a complimentary rub down for the horse. Since we don't have any visitors right now, we will call the first night free. We're not accustomed to having so many people here at one time, so we will have to board two of your horses in the same stall...” Just then, the gate on one of the stalls shudders and a horse neighs. Svetlana moves to comfort the creature and pulls an apple from her skirt's pocket. “Shhh shh shh, there now Claptrap. No need to be so jittery, these people are nice and I'm sure their horses are too. Be happy for the company.”

After your horses are in their stalls, Svetlana beckons you follow her outside. As you do, a man finishes making his way down a ladder from the guesthouse roof. “Just in time!” Svetlana exclaims. “Everyone, please meet my husband, Oleg.”

Oleg pauses and looks the party over. He grunts under his breath, “Pleasure. I'm gonna clean up, we'll talk over food.” With a nod he dismisses himself and heads into the main hall.

Svetlana beams as he leaves. “He may be a tad surly, but he's a good man. He's quite happy you all are hear, I assure you!” Leading you into the guesthouse, she smiles sheepishly. “Again, sorry – we're not used to having so many people here. I'll go get a cot. Normally we charge 5 silver a bed per night. That covers breakfast and dinner too! I'll let you all get situated while I go grab that cot.” Within a minute she returns with a 4' x 9” cylindrical bag in hand. “Here you go! I'm going to go finish up the food. See you all in a bit!”

Gafgarionn

First Post
During the tour I give the 'ooo's and the ahhh's' as I notice the work that has been done, and at how lovely this place can be once we get it up and going.

"I can't wait to be part of this. Are all of these repairs just from the two of you? You have done well. I cannot wait to see what we all can do together."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Adrin conveys his exterior observations to the others at a convenient time. After circumnavigating the fort. He rides his horse inside, dismounts, then leads the animal to the stables. He collects his back, bedroll, and blanket, leaving the horse unburdened. He takes his sword and affixes it to his back in his non-hostile carrying method. He joins the other for the tour and graciously accepts the offer of a hot meal.

Gafgarionn

First Post
Adrin conveys his exterior observations to the others at a convenient time. After circumnavigating the fort. He rides his horse inside, dismounts, then leads the animal to the stables. He collects his back, bedroll, and blanket, leaving the horse unburdened. He takes his sword and affixes it to his back in his non-hostile carrying method. He joins the other for the tour and graciously accepts the offer of a hot meal.
As we are in the stables, I look your way as I tend to my horse.
"Hey, Adrin, how comfortable were you on the ride? I would have liked a pillow on the saddle, but other than that, I can't complain."

Remove ads