Knowledge God's tests and trials - brainstorm (Fantasy RPG)

I tend to ask the players lore questions. One puzzle I gave my players very recently, was one where the players see a row of statues representing the various gods of my campaign setting. Beneath each statue is a cryptic description of the god or goddess, along with a recess where a copper plate can be placed. I gave the players a pile of names (which I cut from cardboard), and asked them to match the names to the gods.

Clerics were allowed to use their knowledge of religion to identify a god they did not know, which required a roll. But of course as a matter of honor, the players tried to solve the puzzle without using their knowledge roll at all. Since I use my own campaign setting, with my own gods, this was a true test of how well the players knew the setting. I was surprised by how well they knew the answers. Below are the riddles I gave them:

"I am synonymous with the summer month. My light brings life and ends hunger. Who am I?"
(Answer: The summer goddess)

"All will eventually come to meet me. My book holds many names, including yours. Who am I?"
(Answer: The god of death)

"My anger is a deadly torrent. My wrath is a watery grave. Sailors seek to appease me. Who am I?"
(Answer: The storm god)

"I am the salvation of sailors. My domain is a Cathedral of Lights. Who am I?"
(Answer: The goddess of sailors)

"I am a stalward protector against evil. My followers are destroyers of demons. Who am I?"
(Answer: The god of protection)

"I am a revealer of truth. When traveling at night, let my lantern show the way. Who am I?"
(Answer: The moon god)

"Druids seek comfort in me. I am the embodiment of the forest and all that lives in it. Who am I?"
(Answer: The nature goddess)

"Many disapprove of my methods and tricks. One of your friends is my friend. Who am I?"
(Answer: The god of trickery)

"My cloak is a winter blanket. Many shield themselves from my cold embrace. Who am I?"
(Answer: The goddess of winter)

"I am on the breath of soldiers and heroes. My name is synonymous with victory and mercy. Who am I?"
(Answer: The god of war)

Last edited:

Remove ads