Pathfinder 1E Knowledge Religion vs Undead

Sarac

First Post
I'm currently running an undead uprising campaign for my group. Broad strokes a vampire necromancer is trying to gather up components to raise her crazed wizard patron from a realm between life and death that he's trapped in and the players are in a race to get the components before her to stop that. To help her get the components and to weaken the country for his return, she's been going around raising graveyards and old battlefields to supply her army.

My issue, before I get too deep into describing my world, is that the players are to the level now where I can stop using only skeletons and zombies. Zombies and skeletons are still there obviously, but now I can add ghouls and wights and in a level or two maybe some ghosts and wraiths. My question is when the cleric character is using knowledge religion to identify what kind of undead they're facing, specifically what their strengths and weaknesses are, what should the DC be and how high should it get before I just link them the Beastiary page?

cmad1977

Hero
So in terms of the low level undead I'd actually say a lot of their strengths/weaknesses would be known even by level 1 characters. Taverns and travelers have a wealth of information about their experiences and tales they've heard.

Above skeletons and zombies though... Maybe set the DC's based upon what they want to know?

What is this slavering creature? DC 10 to identify the ghoul.
One, maybe two facts about its abilities? DC: 15.
Everything? DC:20

delericho

Legend
The standard DC is 10 + the monster's CR. For particularly common monsters (which probably includes skeletons, zombies, ghouls, ghosts, and vampires, but probably not too many other undead), it's 5 + the monster's CR. And for particular obscure creatures (probably including lichs and death knights, as these are generally unique undead), it's 15 + the monster's CR.

A simple pass gives one useful piece of information about the creature; every 5 points by which the DC is beaten gives one more useful piece of information. (You may want to give some stuff out for free, representing stuff that everyone knows. Though that could include things that everyone "knows" but which aren't actually true, such as the vampire's "need" to sleep in its coffin every day.)

I'd probably just give the full link if they beat the DC by 10 or more, but that's not strictly by the book.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
There was a project in wotc forum, "monster lore compendium". You can find a public google document if you Google it.
The base DC is 10+cr. But it is up to you how much info you give to the players. The project Im speaking is a bounch of DC s and the info you get.
They took the idea from the 3.5 monster manual iv & v.
Each monster have a starting DC equal to 10+ CR which gives you some information, and an extra for every +5 over the starting DC. The info there has lot of flavor which is amazing.
You should check that.
I'm at work. When I be at home I'll give you the link.

Edit: here it is:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nz3NeC2w51jBHXsnilLbbWF3zvu52OXz-NSZShhEVao/edit#gid=0

Last edited:

I'd say that any undead that the cleric has encountered before, is known to him, and requires no check. Common undead could be identified at a DC 10, and less common could be identified at a DC 15. Rare undead would be a DC 20.

Remove ads