• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Knowledge (Tactics)

nonamazing

Explorer
One of my players is currently running a very tactically minded character, and I've come up with some house rules for a new(ish) skill that I think would work very well for him. I'd like to hear what you guys might have to say about it. So, without further ado:

Alternative Rules for Knowledge: Tactics checks

New Use: Tactical Assessment

By quickly scanning the battlefield and apraising himself of the situation, a character can gain a useful advantage: the ability to predict his opponent's plans and act before them. With a simple check against DC 10, a character can gain a +1 circumstance bonus to his Initiative check for the current encounter. This is a free action, which must be taken at the start of the combat, before the first round (but after the surprise round, if any--characters truly caught off guard are unable to make effective tactical assessments). For every 5 points by which the character's check is higher than the DC, he gains an additional +1 bonus to his Initiative (a total check of 15 would grant the character a +2 to Initiative, a 20 would grant +3, and so forth).
Circumstance modifiers: Opponents previously fought (+2); Opponents' strengths and weaknesses well-known to character (+4); Battlefield familiar (+2); One minute spent beforehand preparing an ambush (+2); One minute spent observing opponents before battle (+2) Type of opponents never before encountered (-2); Misleading information (-2); Severely misleading information (-4); Opponents strange, alien, or otherwise very unpredictable (-4); Unfamiliar battlefield (-2)
Special: By spending at least five minutes before the battle planning his tactics alongside a group of allies, a character can share some of the initiative bonus granted by his Knowledge (Tactics) check. He may freely divide up the bonus however he sees fit between any number of allies, provided all were able to take part in the plan's preperation.

Synergy Bonus: +2 for having 5 ranks in Knowledge (History)
Synergy Bonus: +2 for having 5 ranks in Sense Motive

Archimedes314

First Post
nonamazing said:
One of my players is currently running a very tactically minded character, and I've come up with some house rules for a new(ish) skill that I think would work very well for him. I'd like to hear what you guys might have to say about it. So, without further ado:

Alternative Rules for Knowledge: Tactics checks

New Use: Tactical Assessment

By quickly scanning the battlefield and apraising himself of the situation, a character can gain a useful advantage: the ability to predict his opponent's plans and act before them. With a simple check against DC 10, a character can gain a +1 circumstance bonus to his Initiative check for the current encounter. This is a free action, which must be taken at the start of the combat, before the first round (but after the surprise round, if any--characters truly caught off guard are unable to make effective tactical assessments). For every 5 points by which the character's check is higher than the DC, he gains an additional +1 bonus to his Initiative (a total check of 15 would grant the character a +2 to Initiative, a 20 would grant +3, and so forth).
Circumstance modifiers: Opponents previously fought (+2); Opponents' strengths and weaknesses well-known to character (+4); Battlefield familiar (+2); One minute spent beforehand preparing an ambush (+2); One minute spent observing opponents before battle (+2) Type of opponents never before encountered (-2); Misleading information (-2); Severely misleading information (-4); Opponents strange, alien, or otherwise very unpredictable (-4); Unfamiliar battlefield (-2)
Special: By spending at least five minutes before the battle planning his tactics alongside a group of allies, a character can share some of the initiative bonus granted by his Knowledge (Tactics) check. He may freely divide up the bonus however he sees fit between any number of allies, provided all were able to take part in the plan's preperation.

Synergy Bonus: +2 for having 5 ranks in Knowledge (History)
Synergy Bonus: +2 for having 5 ranks in Sense Motive

Seems fine, a little weak even. Maybe add one or two more minor uses (a check against opponents AC for a +1-2 bonus on AoOs, part of being a good tactician is flexibility and pressing your advantage).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads