D&D 5E [Kobold Press] Scarlet Citadel Kickstarter

From the kobolds who brought you Empire of the Ghouls, Deep Magic, Creature Codex, Tome of Beasts, and Tome of Beasts 2 comes a brand-new dungeon-delving adventure, Scarlet Citadel for 5th Edition, now on Kickstarter! Written by tabletop RPG luminary Steve Winter, Scarlet Citadel includes a sprawling adventure for 5th Edition in the classic style for 10 levels of play, fully compatible with...

Scarlet Citadel Hero image.jpg

From the kobolds who brought you Empire of the Ghouls, Deep Magic, Creature Codex, Tome of Beasts, and Tome of Beasts 2 comes a brand-new dungeon-delving adventure, Scarlet Citadel for 5th Edition, now on Kickstarter!

Written by tabletop RPG luminary Steve Winter, Scarlet Citadel includes a sprawling adventure for 5th Edition in the classic style for 10 levels of play, fully compatible with the fifth edition of the world's oldest roleplaying game.

Original traps and new monsters lurk in the citadel's depths, as do magical mysteries and nefarious plots. Malevolent creatures spin shadowy webs, enchant foul magics, and summon forth dark gods. In Scarlet Citadel for 5th Edition, players will face harrowing foes, meet curious allies, and unearth the ancient treasures and secrets that lie scattered everywhere!

Along with this massive adventure, this Kickstarter project includes the Scarlet Citadel Map Folio. These ten beautiful, full-color, fold-out battle maps by cartographer Jon Pintar depict all levels of the dungeon and are perfect for tabletop RPG miniatures. Plus, the folio includes several smaller overlay maps that allow Game Masters to easily depict traps, hazards, and other unique features in the dungeon!

Check it out today!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deepmagic/the-scarlet-citadel-a-5th-edition-dungeon-of-secrets/description

Zaukrie

New Publisher
More than 1,000 backers in the first few days!

Here's a very cool aspect of the Kickstarter: The Scarlet Citadel Map Folio contains (at least!) 10 exquisite, full-color battle maps measuring 24 inches by 36 inches when unfolded, each overlaid with a grid of 1-inch squares perfect for miniatures!

In addition to the battle maps, we’re producing several 8-inch-by-10-inch overlay maps that can be placed atop the battle maps to depict unique traps, hazards, or other features of the dungeon. Take a look at the graphic below to see how they’ll work.

Check out the link below to learn more:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deepmagic/the-scarlet-citadel-a-5th-edition-dungeon-of-secrets/posts/2954607

View attachment 126328

Do we get get maps for using on VTTs with the PDF version?

Because I might not want roll20 or FG versions, but I might want the maps.......what about monster tokens?

Retreater

Legend
Any new monsters in the adventure will have full stat blocks etc. included. Having other Kobold Press books (Tome of Beasts 1, Tome of Beasts 2, Creature Codex, etc) will not be required to run this, but they're great books, so you should get them anyway!
I've got the physical books, just not the assets on VTT. So if the new monsters are included in the VTT release without me having to add them in Roll20, that's a big help.
Thanks for the response. Sounds cool.

Marc Radle

Legend
I've been eyeing this too. I normally like Kobold Press's adventures, but a megadungeon is not really my group's speed...

Fair enough. However, I should point out that the Scarlet Citadel isn't really a megadungeon in the strict sense. Normally when you say 'megadungeon' it brings to mind many, many, many dungeon levels. Scarlet Citadel has 6 dungeon levels (BIG levels to be sure) plus a number of 'side' levels, so it's absolutely a BIG, multi level, old school dungeon, offering tons of adventure potential, but it's not SO big that it isn't manageable.

Does that help?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
a BIG, multi level, old school dungeon, offering tons of adventure potential, but it's not SO big that it isn't manageable.

Does that help?
Somewhat--but it's more that my players like a more structured storyline than "go as far as you can on five torches and bring back as much loot as you can carry." Does the adventure have any of that, or is it mostly just kick-in-the-door? (Note: I'm not running down that style of play! It can be tons of fun. It's just not this particular group's taste.)

Also, when there aren't other story constraints, they tend to abuse the 5-minute workday.

Last edited:

Marc Radle

Legend
More than 1,600 backers and over $103,000 with 16 days still to go!!

Scarlet Citadel Wednesdays on Kobold Press’s Twitch channel!

https://www.twitch.tv/koboldpress

Tune in every Wednesday at 4 p.m. PDT - the kobolds will chat, answer your questions, and tell generally wild stories live and on the air about the Scarlet Citadel Kickstarter project. If you miss them on Twitch, they will show up soon on the Kobold Press YouTube channel

Scarlet Citadel Wednesdays - Kobold in Chief!

Scarlet Citadel Wednesdays - All About the Art and Maps!

Scarlet Citadel Wednesdays - Steve Winter on the creation of the dungeon!

On Oct. 7, we’ll talk all about this project’s Frequently Asked Questions, and on Oct. 14, we’ll host a Q&A, where you can ask us anything you like!

Last edited:

Marc Radle

Legend
Scarlet Citadel Image.gif

More than $110,000, and over 1700 backers so far, and still 10 days to go!

Check out a few of the most recent Updates:
Stretch Goal Preview: The Clacking Caverns side level

Player handouts unlocked!

Check out the Scarlet Citadel Today!

Remove ads

Remove ads