• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobold Quarterly #2 Arrives (contents listed)

Man-thing

First Post
Kobold Quarterly #2 arrived today. Inside we have the following articles:

Editorial - Shared Worlds by Wolfgang Baur
From the Mines - Kobold Letters
Princes of Hell - Belphegor, the Prince of Laziness by Tim and Eileen Connors
On the Street Where Heroes Live by Ed Greenwood
Industry Interview - Wayne Reynolds
The Assassin by Robert J. Schwalb
Ask the Kobold by Skip Williams
Ecology of the Barghest by Nicolas Logue
From the Inside Out, Creating Vibrant Characters by Sigfried Trent
A Kingdom For My Horse - Alternate Paladin Class Abilities by John E. Ling, Jr.
Joining the Noble Classes - Using Aristocrat Levels as PC Rewards by Jeff Grub
The Avatar of Hunger - Hidden Origins of the Ghoul Empire by Wolfgang Baur
(Empire of Ghouls Preview)
The Free City of Zobeck - Griffon Towers of the Margreve by Wolfgang Baur

45 pages

Man-thing

First Post
Absolutely.

From the Kobold Quarterly Website:

"Kobold Quarterly is the scrappy little magazine of Open Design, a tiny journal that covers the world's premiere roleplaying game. Each issue is written and illustrated by the industry's best.

Because Kobold Quarterly is not associated with any particular company, we can run what gamers want, instead of what the marketing department wants. We talk shop, interview RPG luminaries, do character optimization, and offer you the finest worldbuilding techniques to tested tactical crunch."

http://wolfgangbaur.com/kobold_quarterly/

Available in PDF and Print & PDF format.

Monkey King

Explorer
danbuter1 said:
I'm assuming this is some kind of Dragon-replacement magazine?

Sure, that's a fair description. The focus is on Open content rather than supporting WotC marketing initiatives, though. The support from well-known freelancers to date has been nothing short of incredible.

Glyfair

Explorer
Monkey King said:
Sure, that's a fair description. The focus is on Open content rather than supporting WotC marketing initiatives, though. The support from well-known freelancers to date has been nothing short of incredible.

Of course, KQ does have some series that are similar to Dragon. We have the Demonomicon-like Princes of Hell series. We have "Ecology of the ..." articles. We also have Skip Williams handling the "Ask the Kobold" column.

Also, Stan! has restarted his "Bolt & Quiver" comic.

Last edited:

Cincinnatus

First Post
The first issue was pretty good; much better than expected. If KQ came out with a print version, I'd subscribe for a nominal cost.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
It is a great read and well worth the money IMHO. It reminds me of The Dragon Mag from the mid 80's in some ways in its general feel.

Glyfair

Explorer
Cincinnatus said:
The first issue was pretty good; much better than expected. If KQ came out with a print version, I'd subscribe for a nominal cost.

There is a print version, but the difference isn't "nominal" (but you get the PDF as well). That's just the reality of printing without the amount of advertising as Dragon and without the economies of scale.

A 4 issue PDF subscription is $16. A paper/PDF subscription is $36 (in the U.S., rates vary elsewhere).

tenkar

Old School Blogger
I'm happy with the PDF... I am tempted to dig out my Dell Axium so I can read it in the usual places tho ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads