D&D 5E Kobolds are also from the Feywild now?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
9459A4C1-67FB-4192-A204-53AA638A4419.jpeg

This is for ever my image of kobolds, pug nosed, horned and dun coloured, let them be fey as long as there is not a dragon in sight

Last edited:

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I don't like it, but it's not totally wrong if D&D kobolds were morphed to their real-world origins. A kobold is originally a Germanic folklore sprite of the faerie realm, commonly found in woods or mines.

Designers and writers gradually made them into dragonic beings through the AD&D years, complete with a rich history and divine enmity with gnomes. They've just become so canon to D&D as a 1st level character adversary that seeing a change to make them something other than what they've been in the game for the past 40+ years is jarring. But, it's not unsubstantiated, and as WOTC and Burger King seem oft to do: "have it your way." If you want fae kobold, go for it.

Hell, our next campaign is Dragonlance and kobolds have their own origin story there (created by the Graygem of Gargath, no kobold gods or faerie realm needed). We'll be having it "our way" in that setting.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think this is a mistake either a slip by Crawford or an error introduced in editing.

In MotM, the lore on kobolds is pretty clear:

"...kobolds display their draconiuc ancestry in the glint of their scales and in their roars. Legends tell of the first kobolds emerging from the Underdark near the lairs of the earliest dragons."

No mention I can see in the book connecting kobolds with Feywild.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
It is all just getting to be embarrassing.
I don't think melodrama is productive here.

You don't like this idea. You also know precious little about its actual shape...and, regardless of what shape it takes, you've never been beholden to it. People kept making such a huge deal about 5e "empowering DMs." Use your "empowerment" and just....ignore the official text.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think this is a mistake either a slip by Crawford or an error introduced in editing.

In MotM, the lore on kobolds is pretty clear:

"...kobolds display their draconiuc ancestry in the glint of their scales and in their roars. Legends tell of the first kobolds emerging from the Underdark near the lairs of the earliest dragons."

No mention I can see in the book connecting kobolds with Feywild.
Yeah, I mean, confusing Kobolds and Goblins is pretty natural, etymologically speaking.

Remove ads