OD&D [Korean D&D] Any Korean speakers here? Questions about TSR-licensed Legend of Crystania and other Korean D&D products

If you speak Korean, could help decipher the Korean D&D product info?
Or, if you know any Korean gamers, could you forward this to them?

Would it be feasible to translate the info from these sites? Unfortunately, there's a copy-and-paste lock on some of the text, so not able to enter into Google Translate.

A dual D&D Rules Cyclopedia + Legend of Crystania RPG set? I see the Crystania author's name on the cover: Ryo Mizuno:

I see a Korean version of Karameikos (in the world of Mystara) here:

A combined blue book + red book (Basic + Expert) boxed set, but with "Rules Cyclopedia / Challenger D&D"-era logo!

I see the aqua book + black book (Companion + Master) here. Are those other blue books displayed here ("Rule Book" and "World Guide Book") also D&D?

Korean Forgotten Realms:

TSR Korean product listing:

Is this D&D, or a non-D&D RPG?

Thanks for any help with this!

HippyCraig

Explorer
If you use Microsoft onenote and there browser plug-in you can capture the whole page as an image right click it to extract text. If the article feature doesn’t grab the text for you. There are a couple of option when using the browser extension

GreyLord

Legend
That's a LOT of translation...

Is that what you are wanting?

First link says...
------------------------
"Old PC Games Museum

Blog Home"

----------------------------------
Ummmm...do we have to give you a complete translation, or can we just summarize?

It's referring to an old set, or so it appears.

------------------------------------------
It's showing a limited released edition for the Dungeons and Dragons Advanced (aka Companion/Master) set with Krisania/Cristania.

in the Dungeons and Dragons rules set you have
-Rules for being a ruler with politics and managing lands/manors
- Communicating with other planes/worlds
- Ultimate swordsmanship rules (Aka, the weaponskills found in the Companion set)

Crystania section

-The Crystania setting with Sword World and Rhodes as the background
-A New Beast King

This is actually a BOOK, looks to be the companion set to the Basic and Intermediate Dungeons and Dragons sets.

It even states you need the Basic and Intermediate sets to play this

It also has a picture of the box.

At the bottom it says it was transferred over from the Old Games PC archive on June 18, 2014.

---------------------------------------

I didn't do the translation, I got it from someone else. I'm not sure what you are asking though. Do you really want someone to go through all of these links you posted and translate each one?

To answer your first question though.

NO, this does not appear to be the Rules Cyclopedia.

It appears to be the third box set in the equivalent BECMI line. Instead of Mystara it appears they are using Sword world and specifically Crystania as the background.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
Not sure if this will answer your question...but skipping down your post it appears to be the other question you ask (not sure if you are asking anything else with your post). This is the LAST link with the elf in the back and a guy with the sword at the front.

That last link IS D&D. It's a link to a D&D Scenario called King's Festival.

It also had a large plastic reference card that came with it and was released in 1996, but it was NOT put out by TSR, instead I think it was put out by GM adventure planning Bureau.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, I did not translate, someone else did. I don't think I need to ask for a translation the others, as I think these two posts answer the questions you asked?

For a look at the Basic/intermediate set (which combines Basic and Expert of BECMI) there is also this link...

This also contains basically the same books as the Basic and Expert sets from the BECMI line as well as Mystara information I believe, if it's referring to the set that normally this came from. (not my information, once again, I have to ask others for help on this stuff).

Basic/Intermediate

Last edited:

That's a LOT of translation...

Is that what you are wanting?

First link says...
------------------------
"Old PC Games Museum

Blog Home"

----------------------------------
Ummmm...do we have to give you a complete translation, or can we just summarize?

It's referring to an old set, or so it appears.

------------------------------------------
It's showing a limited released edition for the Dungeons and Dragons Advanced (aka Companion/Master) set with Krisania/Cristania.

in the Dungeons and Dragons rules set you have
-Rules for being a ruler with politics and managing lands/manors
- Communicating with other planes/worlds
- Ultimate swordsmanship rules (Aka, the weaponskills found in the Companion set)

Crystania section

-The Crystania setting with Sword World and Rhodes as the background
-A New Beast King

This is actually a BOOK, looks to be the companion set to the Basic and Intermediate Dungeons and Dragons sets.

It even states you need the Basic and Intermediate sets to play this

It also has a picture of the box.

At the bottom it says it was transferred over from the Old Games PC archive on June 18, 2014.

---------------------------------------

I didn't do the translation, I got it from someone else. I'm not sure what you are asking though. Do you really want someone to go through all of these links you posted and translate each one?

To answer your first question though.

NO, this does not appear to be the Rules Cyclopedia.

It appears to be the third box set in the equivalent BECMI line. Instead of Mystara it appears they are using Sword world and specifically Crystania as the background.
That's so cool!

Right, not a line-by-line translation, just an explanation of what the products are.

I found some more info here: [Crystania] Record of Lodoss War as an official BECMI Setting (split from: JRPGs and Mystara) - Page 2 - The Piazza

Thanks a million GreyLord, and to your Korean-speaking friend!

DonoZen

Explorer
Just a future note. When I opened the links you provided in my chrome browser it asks if I want the pages auto translated. No copy, paste needed.

Everything translated except the images obviously.

If it doesn't automatically ask you, there is the translate page option right under the “three dots” button in the upper right hand side of Chrome.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Good news, I can read that.

Bad news, it's been almost 30 years since I lived in Korea, and I forgot nearly everything, so I don't know what 90% of the words I'm reading means :p

Remove ads