Kraken-lich

Coroc

Hero
Ouch, that is a hard one.
Normally a Kraken is some giant octopuss its strength comes from:
Offense: number of attacks (8 arms I grapple! one bite beak), do not forget it could pull things underwater
Defense: its pool of HP which should be very high due to its size, ink for a darkness like effect, nat AC should not be to high eventually 13 to 15 max. Maybe its pool of HP is "distributed" aka not really but say if a player declares to attack 1 arm only and the arm takes 10% of the krakens total hp it is cut off or so. It should regenerate

A Lich is an undead wizard or other caster
A dracolich is an undead dragon.
They normally are freewilled and have a phylactery to contain their lifeforce. The phylactery has to be found and destroyed otherwise the mob will reform after a time when it was slain.

Normally Krakens are pretty dumb; actually they are quite intelligent IRL but not in a way that you would say they are a caster. The thing they could "cast" would be some maelstrom water based attack, so include this for more fun.

Ok, attach a phylactery, eventually some beautifully carved conch or crab shell to stay maritime i ntopic or some giant pearl which is even better. Maybe all three of them, two are false.

So lets start:

CR 24

Str 30 +10 Save with advantage
Dex 10 +0
Con 26 +8 Save +14
Int 14 +2
Wis 12 +1
Cha 6 -2

HP 24x 1d20 +192 for 480 Regenerates 48 HP per turn when below 240 HP.
AC 13 (lets keep that low)

Undead, immune to poison, charm, death effects,
resistant to necrotic
resistant to cold
resistant to nonmagic weapons
resistant to bludgeon (even magic)

#AT 9

To hit +16

8x arm for 3d12 +30 SA grapple save DC 24 Str to break free or be restrained. 50% to be pulled under water next round to receive drowning effects

An arm can be destroyed by inflicting 48 damage, specific target has to be declared by the attacker

1x beak for 4d12 + 40

Legendary actions (3): recharge 1d6(5-6)

floodwave (2 actions) pushes back attackers 100 feet
Maelstroem Pulls up to two attackers under water for drowning damage (1 action)
Ink: like a darkness (1 action)

Lifeforce sealed, means the phylactery has to be destroyed.

Octopus does not have bones except 1 fin in their head so it is consisting only of rotting flesh.

dave2008

Legend
Normally Krakens are pretty dumb; actually they are quite intelligent IRL but not in a way that you would say they are a caster. The thing they could "cast" would be some maelstrom water based attack, so include this for more fun.
It sounds like you are not familiar with the kraken in 5e. It has an intelligence of 22, which is 2 higher than the 5e lich.

dave2008

Legend
Well, if you use the dracolich as a model, you don't have to change much from the kraken stat block. The only differences between an adult blue dragon and and an adult blue dracolich is that the dracolich gets:
  • resistance to necrotic damage
  • immunity to poison
  • magic resistance
Personally, I would change more, but adding those three traits is a good start.

dave2008

Legend
In addition to the traits I listed above, I would maybe give it:
  • innate spell casting trait
  • maybe give it a version of the lich's paralyzing touch (but with tentacles) or...
  • perhaps a necrotic inflicting tentacle attack and...
  • a unique legendary action or two.

Shadowcortax

Dragon fanatic
My campaign setting is a world I created. It has a 25 abominations/monstrosities that are fairly strong as well as a few high level adventurers that could have brought it near death. It is a world rife with undeath

Remove ads