D&D 3E/3.5 [Kulan] House Rules Thread (Updated: Mar 13/24)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Got Your Back [General]
You are a keen opportunist, making opportunity of the opportunism of others.
Prerequisites: Base Attack Bonus +4, Combat Reflexes.
Benefit: Whenever an opponent that you threaten attempts an attack of opportunity against one of your allies, you may immediately make an attack of opportunity against that opponent. If your attack of opportunity would hit your opponent, you have the option of inflicting normal damage against the opponent or causing no damage but instead interrupting their attack of opportunity and preventing them from making their attack of opportunity against your ally.
Special: A fighter may select Got Your Back as one of his fighter bonus feats (see page 38, D&D PHB v.3.5).
DM’s Note: This feat was created online with the input of various members of EN World including “gamecat”, “DarkKestral”, “Michael Silverbane”, “maggot”, “Hawken”, and myself.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Mature Beyond Your Years [General]
You are more mature than others of your age.
Prerequisites: Int 13, Iron Will.
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma, but also suffer a -1 penalty to Strength, Dexterity, and Charisma. Also, by sacrificing the physical world for the mental world, you gain a +1 insight bonus towards all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma-based skill checks.
Special: Any character that takes this feat doesn’t suffer the effects of Middle Age on Table 6-5: Aging Effects when their age matches their race’s listed age (i.e. 35 years for a human).

Old Before Your Time [General]
You eyes show an inherent insight and acumen, for your age.
Prerequisites: Int 15, Iron Will, Mature Beyond Your Years.
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma, but also suffer a -2 penalty to Strength, Dexterity, and Charisma. Also, by sacrificing the physical world for the mental world, you gain a +3 insight bonus towards all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma-based skill checks. This bonus doesn’t stack with the insight bonus gained through Mature beyond your Years.
Special: Any character that takes this feat doesn’t suffer the effects of Old Age on Table 6-5: Aging Effects when their age matches their race’s listed age (i.e. 53 years for a human).

Last edited:

Mordane76

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:

As long as you know what I'm going for. ;)

I was going to include Spelljammer Trader or Sky Trader to it as well but thought that would be going overboard. (Besides, I'm planning on using Bastion Press's Airship in my campaign which includes several airship prestige class.)

Wasn't trying to sound omniscient... :D

It would have been better for me to say, I think I know what you're aiming for. I'm really thinking about using this class in my homebrew; that's where my suggestions come from, though -- there really isn't going to be too many opportunities for sailing, and there is a very hospitable planar environment.

Knightfall1972 said:

I considered making the plane shift ability seperate but decided that for my purpose I wanted it and the bonus skill ranks combined into one ability.

If you want to create a more generic version then instead of Sea Trader and Planar Trader, simply put Bonus Skills at 5th and 17th level where the trader gains 5 ranks in any one Craft or Profession skill.

Have fun with it and let me know if you use it.

That's what I'm think I might do... :D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Sacred Healing (variant)
Created by Brian M. *; Renamed by Robert Blezard

Deities: Apollo, Issek, Jalivier

Granted Power: The cleric receives a +2 Sacred bonus to Healing skill checks and may use the skill upon any living creature; animal, humanoid and monstrous. Spontaneous metamagic heals cast by the cleric take only a standard action instead of a full-round action like other clerics.

Sacred Healing Domain Spells:
1. Cure Light Wounds
2. Cure Moderate Wounds
3. Cure Serious Wounds
4. Cure Critical Wounds
5. Revivify
6. Heal
7. Regenerate
8. Heal, Mass
9. Miracle

* Brian was one of my players for the Order of the Silver Hand campaign. He played a cleric/radiant servant of Jalivier named Argo Flameheart.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Mountain
Created by Brian M.
Granted Power: The cleric that accepts this spiritual calling gains a physical manifestation of mountain hardiness [character actually grows 5% taller and 8% heavier, gains a Natural Armor bonus of +1.]

Mountain Domain Spells:
1. Foundation of Stone SC
2. Bear’s Endurance
3. Unfailing Endurance SC
4. Wall of Stone
5. Boreal Wind FB
6. Wind Walk
7. Earthquake
8. Obedient Avalanche FB
9. Imprisonment
_________________________________________________​
FB A spell from D&D Frostburn
SC A spell from D&D Spell Compendium

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
New Feats (cont.)

Reduce Level Adjustment [Metagame]
You are exceptional for a creature of your kind.
Prerequisites: Two ability scores of 18, character level 6th, must have a level adjustment of +2 or higher, XP cost (see below).
Benefit: Your character's level adjustment is considered to be 1 less than normal. This reduces the character's total effective character level (ECL) by one for the purpose of all game rule benefits and restrictions.
The character must pay an amount of XP equal to (his current ECL – 1) x 1000, as per the rules given in D&D Unearthed Arcana (pgs. 18-19). This amount is immediately deducted from the character's XP total. The deduction should reduce the character's effective character level (ECL) by 1. (If this deduction would not reduce the character's ECL by 1, the character's XP total is set at the maximum of the level below his current ECL instead.)
This XP cost can't be reversed in any way, and the payment must be voluntary on the part of the character. The payment must be made immediately upon the selection of this feat.
You cannot use this feat with Monster Classes.
Normal: You must apply a character's entire level adjustment to determine its total effective character level (ECL).
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Each time it is selected, your' character's level adjustment is reduced by 1. You can never reduce your character's level adjustment to less than one-half of its original number (rounded down).
For example, if the character is a doppelganger (LA +4), then its level adjustment can only be reduced to a minimum of +2, by selecting the feat twice. A bralani eladrid (LA +5) character could also be reduced to +2 (rounded down from 2.5), but it would have to take the feat 3 times.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
See the Music [General]
Prerequisites: Cha 13, Bardic Music ability, must have blindsight but not have normal sight.
Benefit: When the character performs any bardic music abilities, you gain the ability to see as if you had normal vision at the same range as your blindsight ability.

Spirit Walk [General]
Prerequisites: Anaema, spontaneous casting of arcane or divine spells.
Benefit: The character may transfer herself from her current location to any other spot within 60 feet, as per the arcane spell dimension door. This is a spell-like ability, which can normally be used once per day (see below).
Special: A character may gain this feat multiple times. Each time it is taken, the character can choose to either increase the range by 30 feet or use the feat one additional time per day.

Wings of Magic [General]
Your wings act as somatic components.
Prerequisites: Any race with wings, arcane caster level 3rd, Eschew Materials.
Benefit: You gain the benefits of Eschew Materials towards somatic components while in flight.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Sea in the Veins [General, Regional]
You were raised to respect and learn from the sea, being descended from an aquatic race.
Prerequisites: 1st level, native of the City of Freeport or the Islands of Merria; or 1st level, Xanth.
Benefit: You receive a +2 bonus on all Profession (sailor) checks, as well as a +2 bonus to Fortitude saves when at sea.

Tanglewalker [General, Regional]
You know the tangle maze of the City-state of Onaway like the back of your hand.
Prerequisites: 1st-level, native of the city of Onaway.
Benefit: You gain a -2 Survival DC modifier when tracking creature through the tangle maze. You also gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge (local), which is always a class skill for you.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Theurgic Feats

Theurgic Mastery [Special]
You may select divine spells for use with Spell Mastery; gain extra mastery spells.
Prerequisites: Int 15, Wis 15, Cha 15, Wizard level 5th, Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (religion or nature) 6 ranks, ability to cast both arcane and divine spells, Mystic Insight * or Insight into the Green *, Theurgic Adept *, Spell Mastery.
Benefit: You may choose divine spells instead of arcane spells for purposes of the Spell Mastery feat, and may cast them without having any divine foci (i.e. holy symbol) normally required, on hand. You gain 1 extra mastery spell for each time you have taken the Spell Mastery feat (retroactively), and these extra spells may be either arcane or divine. You cannot change any mastery spells already selected before this feat was taken, however.
Normal: Without this feat, you must use a divine spell focus to cast most divine spells (read magic is one exception), and you can only use the Spell Mastery feat for wizard spells.
Special: Note that you still only gain a number of spells equal to your Intelligence modifier (+1 for this feat). Only theurgic spellcasters with at least 5 levels of wizard can take this feat.

Theurgic Savant [General]
You gain a bonus on your theurgic arcane and divine spells' save DCs.
Prerequisites: Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 17, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (religion or nature) 8 ranks, ability to cast both arcane and divine spells, Mystic Insight * or Insight into the Green *, Theurgic Adept *.
Benefit: You gain a +2 insight bonus on all save DCs for your chosen theurgic arcane and divine classes' spells.
_________________________________________________​
* A feat designed by Cheiromancer, which is detailed on another thread on EN World. If Cheiromancer doesn't mind, then I can post them here.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Epic Feats

Improved Reduce Level Adjustment [Epic, Metagame]
You are considered supreme for a creature of your kind.
Prerequisites: Reduce Level Adjustment, two ability scores of 25, character level 21st, must have a level adjustment of +1 or higher, XP cost (see below).
Benefit: Your character's level adjustment is considered to be 1 less than normal. This reduces the character's total effective character level (ECL) by one for the purpose of all game rule benefits and restrictions.
The character must pay an amount of XP equal to (his current ECL – 1) x 1000, as per the rules given in D&D Unearthed Arcana (pgs. 18-19). This amount is immediately deducted from the character's XP total. The deduction should reduce the character's effective character level (ECL) by 1. (If this deduction would not reduce the character's ECL by 1, the character's XP total is set at the maximum of the level below his current ECL instead.)
This XP cost can't be reversed in any way, and the payment must be voluntary on the part of the character. The payment must be made immediately upon the selection of this feat.
You cannot use this feat with Monster Classes.
Normal: You must apply a character's entire level adjustment to determine its total effective character level (ECL).
Special: You can take this feat more than once. Each time it is selected, your' character's level adjustment is reduced by 1. You can reduce your character's level adjustment to zero with this feat.

True Theurgist [Epic]
Your arcane and divine caster levels stack when determining number of spells.
Prerequisites: Int 19, Wis 19, Cha 19, Knowledge (arcana) 20 ranks, Knowledge (religion or nature) 20 ranks, ability to cast both 5th-level arcane and 5th-level divine spells, Mystic Insight or Insight into the Green, Theurgic Adept, Theurgic Savant.
Benefit: Your arcane and divine class levels stack (to a maximum of your character level) for the purpose of determining your normal spells known and your normal spells per day, but not for any epic spells.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases