• COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! The standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love!
log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim says, to Oakfirst, continuing the conversation, "We've had quite the run, my lord, chasing down this "Mani," and placing him into cutody. But I fear we are just beginning. We cannot ignore this secret passage; we must see where it leads. Or to whom. Who's to say Phelix is the only sorcerer? There could be a cabal. Who's to say that Mani is the only doppelgänger? There could be a coven. From what I've seen, we need to be ready for anything. Especially ones like Mani, who can cast magicks without even speaking or waving their hands. I've never seen such a talented creature, able to use magic with but a thought. It troubles me, because I wonder if ANY cell is secure enough to hold him?"
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Falen:
Knowledge Arcana Check (per OOC communication) Full post coming later today.
While Lord Max believes the original Palace Construct was sentient, Falen has learned through his own research that the original construct was more like a half-iron, half-stone golem than a warforged. Yes, the design and functionality was inspired by the artificers of Sharn but inner workings didn't have a soul.

The mages that called Bluffside home back then was contracted by Jarman the Wise to help create the Palace Construct. These mages formed a bond during the process and the origins of the Wizard Council come from that camaraderie (and one-up-man-ship). Each of the schools of magic played a part in the design and functionality of the Palace Construct. What role the School of Necromancer took is a mystery that Falen was never able to figure out. Most of the other schools contributions were straightforward. (You can come up with them if you want.)

As for the Great Gate Construct that was built from the bones of the original construct, it is more clockwork creation than magical construct. At its core is steam power. It's fabrication is primarily dwarven but with some human restrictions and design elements. In truth, if The Five let the dwarves redesign it perfectly, it would likely work a bit better but it would cost a lot more to maintain. The current construct can do little more than rise out of the rift, open the gate, and pull the iron door into its chest. Falen is fairly certain it can't put it back!

Thus, when the Iron Gate is open, it is open for a long period of time. It will take either major brute force or powerful spells to move it back. Teleportation or dimensional shifting. Perhaps The Five have it moved back by hired stone giant workers brought in from the southern peaks of the Sundered Mountains. It will be costly to put the Iron Gate back, regardless.[/OOC]
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Falen:
Thinking to himself, "WHAT?! Doppleganger?!" A moment of surprise comes over him, barely noticeable, but there. His eyes dart toward the fighter called Tymbeck for a brief moment. And just as quickly, his confusion clears, "You are Sir Reginald Oakfirst, Lord Commander of the Regulars? My name is Falen; I will make this brief, so long as you do not jump to conclusions before you query me longer. I trade in information, and I have some that you should probably know, as the possession of such appears to be leaving corpses about the city. The handbills that are posted around the city are of Phelix Del Cannitha of Sharn. He leads the Dusk. And they are here. They use the Rising Swords and the Arreptitii, to what end I am exploring. But there is a pattern to be sure in their killings. They do not do so to foment unrest, nor do they do so indiscriminately. I understand there are serial killings; have the authorities, or perhaps you, connected the killings? If not, do you have a list of who they are and what they were in the community?" If pressed, Falen will only share that he trades in information, and he came upon this quite by accident in the course of a mission as a courier. However, he trusts the Lord who put him on this mission, so clearly he is intended to be here and ferret out more about it. He believes that the killings have similar roots as Legatus Avictus' killing. And knowing who these people were to the city, as well as to each other, it might be possible to find the common thread...and pull it. But he's not keen on sharing that sort of detail with Oakfirst just yet. Not before he knows who he is. He studies his visage as well, determined to put it to good use as well in the future. The doppleganger that his new acquaintance refers to might well be that thread; hence, his surprise. It would explain a lot. Especially regarding Scribe Amphion's odd appearance. "I'd like to meet this doppleganger."

"While on the subject, Lord Commander, do you have a Guard-Sergeant who carries the name 'Vonner'? I encountered him upon entering the city. I allowed him to fleece me of an agate such that I could spare his life. He will not be as fortunate if I encounter him again. He commanded a squad of "Regulars" that did not look like your people. Scruffy-looking mercenaries would be a polite description. Armed and armored vagabonds would be more accurate. Given the reputation of the "Rising Swords" as rather unkempt, he certainly looked the part. Thoughts?" This second part is simply a way to give Vonner the proverbial middle digit, even it is possible that Falen's assertion is actually accurate.

"By the way," Falen adds as an afterthought, "you do realize that getting that construct to close the gate is going to be difficult, right? There is a reason that it hasn't opened in decades. Simply put, the Five know it's difficult to close."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim says, to Oakfirst, continuing the conversation, "We've had quite the run, my lord, chasing down this "Mani," and placing him into custody. But I fear we are just beginning. We cannot ignore this secret passage; we must see where it leads. Or to whom. Who's to say Phelix is the only sorcerer? There could be a cabal. Who's to say that Mani is the only doppelgänger? There could be a coven. From what I've seen, we need to be ready for anything. Especially ones like Mani, who can cast magicks without even speaking or waving their hands. I've never seen such a talented creature, able to use magic with but a thought. It troubles me, because I wonder if ANY cell is secure enough to hold him?"
Falen:
Thinking to himself, "WHAT?! Doppleganger?!" A moment of surprise comes over him, barely noticeable, but there. His eyes dart toward the fighter called Tymbeck for a brief moment. And just as quickly, his confusion clears...
"I hope you are wrong about the doppelganger and his ability to escape from his cell," Commander Oakfirst replies. "I don't think transferring him to one of the enhanced cells in the Palace will work any better. Moving him again could bring more attacks. But, if it becomes necessary, it would probably be better to have the Wizard Council lock him away in their district. I know they have special magical cells that can hold almost anything secure. But, again, we'd have to get him there. I'm sure one of the council could teleport the doppelganger to the Wizard District, but it's not up to me. The Five will decide what to do with him."

He pauses, lost in thought. "If Del Cannitha has a cabal of sorcerers on his side, the city is going to be hard pressed even with the help of the Wizard Council. And, so far, Phelix hasn't inflicted any harm in their district. Yes, some of the Regulars tower wizards were hurt in New City when the explosions went off, but it wasn't targeted at them... based on the evidence I've seen. Thus, they aren't as invested as The Five," He looks at Tim. "If you think the passageway will lead to the missing guards or even the sorcerer's Loyalists, then I will let you all take the lead in its exploration. Custodio and Arcanus Noguera will go with you, of course."

Aust Thale said:
"You are Sir Reginald Oakfirst, Lord Commander of the Regulars? My name is Falen; I will make this brief, so long as you do not jump to conclusions before you query me longer. I trade in information, and I have some that you should probably know, as the possession of such appears to be leaving corpses about the city. The handbills that are posted around the city are of Phelix Del Cannitha of Sharn. He leads the Dusk. And they are here. They use the Rising Swords and the Arreptitii, to what end I am exploring. But there is a pattern to be sure in their killings. They do not do so to foment unrest, nor do they do so indiscriminately. I understand there are serial killings; have the authorities, or perhaps you, connected the killings? If not, do you have a list of who they are and what they were in the community?"
Commander Oakfirst listens to Falen's words carefully. Falen can tell the old soldier isn't the sort to jump to conclusions but as the seer continues speaking, Oakfirst's face becomes increasingly grim. He raises an eyebrow when Falen mentions both the the Dusk and the Arreptitii. When Falen pauses for internal reflection, Oakfirst replies.

"That is a lot of information and I would like very much to know where you came by it. Yes, Phelix Del Cannitha is at large in Bluffside and wanted for numerous crimes. That's no secret and easily learned." He pauses and looks a Falen carefully. "However, while I've never heard of these Arreptitii, I have heard of the Dusk. They are a coalition of assassins that are infamous to say the least. They are guided by gold and zealotry and it wouldn't surprise me that the Renegade might have dealings with them since we know he's in league with the Rising Swords." He pauses again. "But, I've never seen any reports of the Dusk working with the Rising Swords. In many ways, the two groups are rivals." He looks towards the guard post where the prisoners are being held. "I wonder..."

He shakes his head. "The leader of the Dusk is a woman who goes by the name Shamiram. The reports I've seen on her is that she is originally from Assylonia, which is near Sharn and the other Dragonmarked Cities. She is believed to be ancient and skills beyond mortal means. A demigoddess if the reports are to be believed. I find it very unlikely that Del Cannitha, as powerful as he is, has managed to take over the Dusk from her. However, if he has hired members of the Dusk, it would be very bad for Bluffside if they are indeed here, as you say."


Aust Thale said:
If pressed, Falen will only share that he trades in information, and he came upon this quite by accident in the course of a mission as a courier. However, he trusts the Lord who put him on this mission, so clearly he is intended to be here and ferret out more about it. He believes that the killings have similar roots as Legatus Avictus' killing. And knowing who these people were to the city, as well as to each other, it might be possible to find the common thread...and pull it. But he's not keen on sharing that sort of detail with Oakfirst just yet. Not before he knows who he is. He studies his visage as well, determined to put it to good use as well in the future. The doppleganger that his new acquaintance refers to might well be that thread; hence, his surprise. It would explain a lot. Especially regarding Scribe Amphion's odd appearance.
"I'd like to meet this doppleganger."
Oakfirst steps closer to Falen. "You really need to tell me where you came across this information. Right now."

Falen can sense the man will brook no deceit on Falen's part. It is not menace but concern that guides the man's insistence. As Falen spins his story about being a courier, he has a gut feeling that his freedom is on the line if the Lord Commander doesn't believe him. Falen pushes the story into the absurd without intending to do so. It's quite the tale once he's done. If he is going to jail, at least it was with a flourish. But, once he finishes and asks to see the doppelganger, Commander Oakfirst's visage shifts to what it was before.

"Amazing, it sounds like you've had quite the week! I'm shocked you were able to get here without being waylaid by pirates. It's too bad you lost that chest overboard. It sounds like it could have netted you a small fortune. Yet, here you are and with valuable information too. I thank you. It might save lives. I'll make sure a writ is made out in your name for, what do you think Custodio, 500 gold? Is that enough?"

"I think we need to find out if the Dusk are actually here in Bluffside first, but if you feel he should be paid up front, it's your decision commander."

"Prudent," Oakfirst muses. "Yes, lets say 100 gold up front and the rest once we're sure the Dusk are here." He looks at Falen. "I'm sorry to say that I can't authorize you being able to see the doppelganger. If you stick around and help these other fine adventurers locate Del Cannitha and bring him to justice, I'm sure you'll have a chance to see the creature." He looks at Vinccenzo and Tim. "From what I understand, he's unconscious right now and likely will be for some time."

Falen - Bluff check: 1D20+1 = [4]+1 = 5
Oakfirst - Sense Motive check: 1D20+1 = [2]+1 = 3 (fails)
:oops: :oops: :oops:

I don't believe it! :ROFLMAO:

You get a bonus of 500 XP for telling the truth but not the whole truth. If any of the other PCs choose to roll a Sense Motive check, I'll let you roll a Bluff check with a +2 luck bonus.

Aust Thale said:
"While on the subject, Lord Commander, do you have a Guard-Sergeant who carries the name 'Vonner'? I encountered him upon entering the city. I allowed him to fleece me of an agate such that I could spare his life. He will not be as fortunate if I encounter him again. He commanded a squad of "Regulars" that did not look like your people. Scruffy-looking mercenaries would be a polite description. Armed and armored vagabonds would be more accurate. Given the reputation of the "Rising Swords" as rather unkempt, he certainly looked the part. Thoughts?" This second part is simply a way to give Vonner the proverbial middle digit, even it is possible that Falen's assertion is actually accurate.
"Sergeant Vonner!" Oakfirst spits on the ground. "I kicked that fool out of the Regulars over a year ago. I would have had him and half his team swinging by a noose if the Lord Mayor hadn't intervened. I doubt he's working for the Rising Swords. They, at least, have some sense of honor." Oakfirst sighs. "I really hope Captain Shantilayla didn't make the mistake of bringing him back into the Regulars of New City." He throws up his hands in disgust. "I know The Five are giving her more freedom than Captain Cowden had as head of the Dungeon and for the protection of New City, but if she's willing to go against my wishes this much, I'm going to have to go have a serious discussion with her!" He shakes his head before looking at Falen. "Where was this? New City, right? He always did like to accost people arriving in the city after coming up from the Undercity on the steam lifts."

Aust Thale said:
"By the way," Falen adds as an afterthought, "you do realize that getting that construct to close the gate is going to be difficult, right? There is a reason that it hasn't opened in decades. Simply put, the Five know it's difficult to close."
Oakfirst is taken aback by Falen's knowledge of the Iron Gate. He looks at Custodio and the Elite guard just shakes his head.

"You are very well versed in our city, Mr. Falen," Oakfirst says. "Is this is your first time in Bluffside or do you trade information here regularly? If so, you're going to want to make sure you have an official permit from one of the local guilds. It's not a big deal and won't cost you very much and you won't have to join... unless you want to broker information about adamantine or other sensitive information. That falls under the strict guidelines set out by the Adamantine Security Council and The Five. Also, I must insists that you don't go around selling information about Bluffside's defenses... even the politically motivated ones." He crosses his arms. "And don't sell any information about The Five even if you can prove it's true. That will get you locked away in a place that even I won't be able to get you out of. Understood?"
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck follows the conversation with interest, rubbing his dog Mutt behind the ear absentmindedly. Then, seeming to remember his manners, he seizes a lull in the conversation and moves up to Falen.

"Name's Tuck," the kobold says, "And this is my friend Mutt. Careful, he's a fierce one!"

In complete contrast to Tuck's words, Mutt moves up to Falen with his tail wagging and his nose pressing against the man's hand, almost begging for a cuddle...

"So," Tuck continues to everyone, "Are we going into the tunnel, or moving straight for the sorcerer's lair? I've got some more things to do, but this is our first priority."
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"We'll take Mr Falen with us. He seems to know much and obviously knows about Loyalists. It is not quite obvious, but Arreptitii in Ticin means 'The fanatics' or with a bit of imagination 'The loyalists'. And he can do his task of uncovering The Dusk with some help. Even if it means he needs to help us follow our own threads."

Turning to Falen
"As I said before, we can help you meet with The Commander. We can exchange info on the way. If you're looking into serial killers or misterious disappearances, we have some leads. Old City Killer is captured and he is just derranged artist, he has nothing to do with those you seek or his own kind."
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"So," Tuck continues to everyone, "Are we going into the tunnel, or moving straight for the sorcerer's lair? I've got some more things to do, but this is our first priority."
"I vote for Waldo's lair," Custodio says. "But I've been absent from the group so I'll let you decide. The crystalline flower, the is back at the Lord Commander's old childhood home. I had it when we left there to go the Gardens yesterday morning, but I dropped it off there for safekeeping before going to check and make sure the Lord Commander and the others were okay."

Custodio turns to Akos. "Did you figure out the correct phrase to use with that flower to get into Waldo's planar hideout? I remember you were working on it." The Elite Guard looks towards the guard post. "Maybe this is another way in... a safer way?"

OOC: Copied and expanded from previous post...
By going over the phrases, Akos is fairly certain (lets say 98%) that illumination is the trigger that will open the portal to Phelix's Enclave, but it won't be a light in the dark but, instead, be "An Intense Flame under a Dark Moon." Most likely something to do with flames touching the bloom and madness around the eyes (either literal insanity or a successful Perform check [DC 20]).

Custodio's previous stated information about Evocation magic makes Akos think of the Dancing Lights cantrip but that won't be powerful enough. the 1st-level spell, Burning Hands, might be a better choice, but Akos thinks any low-level fire spell will do to ignite the bloom and open the portal. He has a sense that the more powerful the spell chosen the longer the portal will remain open (likely 1 to 4 minutes per spell level [roll 1d4]).

However, if the flames are too hot, the bloom will be consumed (requires a Spellcraft check [DC 25]) and the group will have to find another way to get back from the demiplane. If the Spellcraft check fails by 5 or more, the bloom will be used up. If the check succeed by more than 5 but less than 10, add 1 minute for the portal being opened. If it succeeds by 10 to 15, add 2 minutes, etc. Any spell that enhances a character's skill check can be used to make the portal stay open longer. (Relgar was fairly certain that it wouldn't stay open for longer than 20 minutes.)

(Akos is 100% certain it is a demiplane in the Ethereal Plane. It might be possible to get back through the Ethereal Plane or even the Shadowstar Sea but the Loremaster isn't 100% sure. He is sure that the group can't get there through the Ethereal Plane.)

The group has learned from the research that both Relgar and Akos did that there is another bloom in the Museum of Sem La Vah (located in Old City), and while the bloom does grow out in the wilds of the ruins, it is very rare and tends to attract earth-based monsters (and deadly plants) to it due to its crystalline nature and magical properties. The blooms grow individually not in clusters. As far as the Tenders know, the flower doesn't exist in the Gardens.

"I did not come under attack from the sorcerer's Loyalists," Oakfirst notes. "Neither did Lady Pomander. Del Cannitha likely didn't have the men to spare after you lopped off some of his hydra's heads." He pauses. "That reminds me. Custodio told me that you suspect Barclay Winton, the owner of The Crossed Candles, of being in league with the Renegade."

"His real name is Kelik and he runs a thieves guild out of that building," Vincenzzo says. "At least, that's what the doppelganger told us."

That name makes Tuck remember the three assassins that wanted to kill Relgar. They'd followed him, Akos, and Relgar through the streets of New City and then attacked them in the Silverbow Inn. There had been a woman named Teresa and a human named Shylock. The other assassin died nameless. A group of Elites had arrived after the fight was won and Shylock was taken into custody. The woman got away but vowed to seek vengeance against Akos in the future. Teresa had bragged that her guild would kill all of Relgar's friends and allies including Tim, Custodio, Lady Émilienne, Sir Oakfirst, and Lady Pomander. Émilienne had come under attack on the road between Old City and the Wizard District but she managed to fight off her attackers with a handful of Sectarians. Loyalists tried to ambush Breva, Tim, and Custodio in the streets of Old city, but it didn't go well for the attackers. Tuck isn't sure what happened to those foes. Were they all killed? He tries to remember what Shylock and Teresa said.

"I wish I could say that is a surprise," Oakfirst says. "Barclay seemingly came out of nowhere several years ago and set up his candle and wax shop with great fanfare. His wares have become a favorite of the nobles of Old City." He pauses. "I've always suspected there is more to that man than a simple shop owner. He loves to spin a story and seems to know of things happening in the district before they become public knowledge. Not criminal things, mind you." He rubs his chin thoughtfully. "I've had his shop under surveillance for almost six months now but we've never been able to catch him at anything illegal. If he is running a thieves guild, my watchers haven't found any signs of it."

"Or they are being paid off," Custodio suggests.

"Not every member of the Bluffside Regulars are on the take, young man!" Oakfirst snaps. "Besides, the Elites watching the shop are being helped by the Dark Lanterns."

"Terger?"

"No, he's still fighting the Graythorns alongside the Bluffside Mountain Rangers out near Rockgrave Keep. That death cult is causing all sorts of trouble in the Aarzen Valley. The elves of Ravensilath have gotten involved and their help has kept the Graythorns at bay. My latest reports note that Rhodes is still out there too, even though Terger let him go. He and Terger have become quite the fighting team."

"We'll take Mr Falen with us. He seems to know much and obviously knows about Loyalists. It is not quite obvious, but Arreptitii in Ticin means 'The fanatics' or with a bit of imagination 'The loyalists'. And he can do his task of uncovering The Dusk with some help. Even if it means he needs to help us follow our own threads."
"So these Arreptitii are the Loyalists. That's good to know," Oakfirst says. "We don't need any more new evil bastards running around Bluffside. Let's hope The Dusk are not here but be prepared in case they come out from shadows. My reports on their organization have always indicated that they never attack in the day and that they never attack en masse like the Rising Swords. They are subtle yet deadly."

"Maybe they killed the Lord Mayor," Custodio suggests.

"That is a possibility," Oakfirst agrees. "Something to let The Five know. I've already told them that Phel-, excuse me, Waldo might be targeting them all for death. They're bolstering they personal guards, although they are going to have fewer options with the Bluffside Militia now activated."

"When did that happen?" Roland asks.

"Right after learning the Lord Mayor was killed. Lady Pomander made the suggestion and all but Lord Blander agreed. Lord Commander Simonis cast the vote for the deceased Lord Mayor." He sighs. "It takes a bit of time to get the militia ready to go into service. You won't see them on the streets likely until tomorrow evening." Oakfirst notes the disgruntled looks on the faces of the Regulars. "I expect you all to work with them and help them when required. Yes, they won't have the same ranks as you all but don't go lording over them."

"Yes sir," Herleva says. Akos notes a lack of enthusiasm in her voice.

Neurotic said:
Turning to Falen
"As I said before, we can help you meet with The Commander. We can exchange info on the way. If you're looking into serial killers or mysterious disappearances, we have some leads. Old City Killer is captured and he is just deranged artist, he has nothing to do with those you seek or his own kind."
"Hmm, from what Tim told me, Del Cannitha might have doppelgangers in his employ. Are you sure they aren't in league with this Mani?" Oakfirst asks. "Tim said he knows of them and they might know of him."
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Might know OF Mani . While I cannot be perfectly aboslutely sure, I believe he is derranged even for their standards. And too much public exposure is bad for all of them."
Akos answers the question about opening of the portal and part of his words are directed at the Lord Commander.
"I believe I know how to open the portal, but it won't last long. So it would be quick in and out. Or we get trapped in the plane with the sorcerer and hope it survives his death. It would be great if we could get access to Plane Shift scroll or two just in case. And if someone could cast powerful fire spell at the portal, I'll do the rest."

Looking back toward the guardhouse.
"I think we should explore the tunnel first. It may be leading us into the thieves guild and have nothing to do with our target. But given the resources he put into causing chaos...it may be an alternate entrance...or exit."
 



Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Might know OF Mani . While I cannot be perfectly absolutely sure, I believe he is deranged even for their standards. And too much public exposure is bad for all of them."
"Hmm, yes, doppelgangers are a secretive bunch," Oakfirst muses. "I came across one out in the wilds of the valley once over 25 years ago, but he wasn't a vicious killer... just a hunter after stag. He didn't like being questioned though and once my patrol decided he wasn't a threat, weo let him go and he ran off as quickly as he appeared. We never saw him again, well, not that we know of."

"I don't believe they are inherently evil," Custodio suggests. "Well, I'm not an expert, so whose to say if all doppelgangers are alike. Mani is certainly deranged and I think he's evil to the core. If there are doppelgangers working for Waldo, I doubt they're good or sane."

Akos answers the question about opening of the portal and part of his words are directed at the Lord Commander.
"I believe I know how to open the portal, but it won't last long. So it would be quick in and out. Or we get trapped in the plane with the sorcerer and hope it survives his death. It would be great if we could get access to Plane Shift scroll or two just in case. And if someone could cast powerful fire spell at the portal, I'll do the rest."
"Let's try not to get trapped," Custodio says. "I'm sure the Wizard Council would have such scrolls and they could be... encouraged to donate them to the cause." He looks at his commander.

Oakfirst nods. "I will ask Lady Pomander to get you the scrolls. She has some magical ability herself, so she might have something in her home in case the council gets their feathers all ruffled and refuse to help." He looks casually at Vinnny. "It seems they are holding back a bit. They are concerned about Del Cannitha, of course, but they seem to think the Renegade is best left to the Regulars and this team."

Looking back toward the guardhouse.
"I think we should explore the tunnel first. It may be leading us into the thieves guild and have nothing to do with our target. But given the resources he put into causing chaos...it may be an alternate entrance...or exit."
"The tunnel is a potential source of further trouble. we should at least see where, or to whom , it goes to" Vinny chimes in with his opinion.
Tim nods in agreement, "Agreed, we cannot let this go uninvestigated; even if it doesn't lead us to Waldo, it might lead us to some of his cronies."
"I'll leave you to it then," Oakfirst says. He shakes hands and pats backs before leaving the post under the supervision of the Regulars and your group of heroes. Before he leaves, he scratches Mutt on the top of the dog's head and says to Falen. "If you have any more information for me, look for me at the Palace or the Tribunal." He pauses and looks at each of you before continuing to speak. "I do have to head to the Military District for a few days, but if you have something urgent, just send Custodio. Paperwork is piling up and I need to attend to some security matters for the entire valley. Good luck!"

"Thank you, sir," Custodio says.

Oakfirst nods.

"So, I looked at the hole in the floor and dropped a torch down there," Arcanus Noguera says. "I didn't get a good look before the Lord Commander shooed me out, but it doesn't look too deep." She pauses. "I have to tell you, I'm not much of a fighter. Almost all my spells are divinations and a few protection spells. If there is danger, I won't be able to do much fighting."

The young arcanus leads the way into the guard post and enters the cell with the hole cut out of it. Solomon glares at her and then at Tim. Mambru stands in the other cell with his back against one wall. Narzissa lies on the cell's old cot with her face towards the wall. She doesn't even flinch when the group enters the guard post. The guard Daithí has been watching them while the group was speaking to Oakfirst.

"We have Tim for the really dangerous foes," Custodio replies. "He can handle it, and I'm a decent fighter. Don't worry about it. Stick with the Loremaster and the Sectarian..." He turns to Vinccenzo. "You said your name was Vinn, right?"

"Uhm, is the dog coming with us?" She says as Mutt comes up next to her and growls at Solomon. She pats the dog on the head and he wags his tale.

The evil cleric steps back from the bars and the dog's teeth. Roland takes a shift watching the prisoners and Daithí heads outside to start dealing with a few peddlers passing through the gate. Sergeant Herleva starting going through the post's incomplete and shoddy paperwork.

"I wouldn't even try to separate him from Tuck," Custodio says with a laugh. He looks back to see the kobold urban ranger enter the post alongside the newcomer, Falen. The two of them seem to be getting along well, or, at least, there isn't any friction between them. Custodio takes a look down the opening to the passageway below. "Hmm, no footholds." He notes Breva's rope tied to the bars of the cell. "I see you were already planning on heading down before Oakfirst and I arrived." He looks at Tim through the bars. "It's going to be a tight squeeze for you, my friend." He smiles at the big knight.

"So, who is going first?" The Elite guard asks.
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Oh, but consider the beast closed in with the cleric in a small cell...until he breaks...or the dog goes hungry."
Akos shows a bit of imagination and a disturbing little smile as his fey side asserts itself for a moment...
OOC: <craft disturbing mental image> ranks 10 :p


before he shakes it off, glaring at Solomon.
"Of course, that's something Unseelie would do, not I. Lucky you, cleric...but I can still Plane Shift you there if you don't behave."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"I'll go first," Tuck says definitively. "I know tunnels."

He does not need to refer to his race, and that kobolds are more comfortable in narrow underground tunnels than any other race except, perhaps, dwarves. And as a kobold, Tuck knows that any tunnel that hides something or someone, is bound to have traps.

His own tunnel has. Many, many traps.

Before moving down, he thoroughly checks the tunnel entrance and everything he can see. When satisfied, he takes a pebble and tosses it down first, before calling over Mutt to see and smell if there's anything he missed.

OOC: Search for traps: 1D20+15 = [20]+15 = 35

Darn, being thorough is right! If there are any traps, Tuck finds them. :)
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim allows Tuck to go first; as soon as the landing area is pronounced safe, Tim grabs the rope and squeezes his big form into the hole, climbing down to the confines of the tunnel; he fits, but there's not a lot of wiggle room.

Tim says, in a quiet tone, "I'm right behind you, the whole way. I'll never be more than 10 feet behind you. If you see enemies, get behind me and let me face the assault. That's what I do."
 
Last edited:


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Down into the Unknown:
"Oh, but consider the beast closed in with the cleric in a small cell...until he breaks...or the dog goes hungry."
Akos shows a bit of imagination and a disturbing little smile as his fey side asserts itself for a moment...
OOC: <craft disturbing mental image> ranks 10 :p
The arcanus's face blanches as she considers what Akos suggests. Sergeant Herleva looks up from her paperwork and glares at the Loremaster. She wags her finger at him disapprovingly.

Neurotic said:
before he shakes it off, glaring at Solomon.
"Of course, that's something Unseelie would do, not I. Lucky you, cleric...but I can still Plane Shift you there if you don't behave."
Solomon's unbending glare quickly turns into one of uncertainty. He looks at Akos and then at Mutt. The big dog grows at him and the cleric's eyes betray his internal worries.


"I'll go first," Tuck says definitively. "I know tunnels."

He does not need to refer to his race, and that kobolds are more comfortable in narrow underground tunnels than any other race except, perhaps, dwarves. And as a kobold, Tuck knows that any tunnel that hides something or someone, is bound to have traps.

His own tunnel has. Many, many traps.

Before moving down, he thoroughly checks the tunnel entrance and everything he can see. When satisfied, he takes a pebble and tosses it down first, before calling over Mutt to see and smell if there's anything he missed.
The entrance isn't trapped. Tuck is certain of that. He can see the arcanus's torch down below, but it likely won't stay lit long. He can see that the floor is damp and the pebble he tosses down doesn't bounce very high, maybe a half-a-foot off the floor of the tunnel. He can smell mold wafting up from down below even before Mutt comes up next to him. The dog sticks his nose into the hole. Mutt doesn't seem to smell anything dangerous, but he is quite interested in exploring down below. He lifts his head and barks at Tuck once with his tongue hanging out.

It's an easy climb for Tuck and he is soon down in the tunnel. No, it's actually a small chamber that is 10 feet wide and 15 feet long. There are four sets of doors. A set of double doors stand partially open to the north. The doors open outward into what looks like a 15-ft-long choke point that is only 8 feet wide. The other three exits from the room are all single doors on each wall.

Mutt whines from up above and barks twice. The big dog jumps down from above and almost lands on top of Tuck. While the dog's jump isn't graceful, Mutt doesn't hurt himself. He comes up off the floor a big damp. The floor isn't slick but it could be tricky to run on if a fight breaks out. Mutt shakes himself and then puts his nose to the floor and begins going through the room. He stops near the open double doors but doesn't rush away. Instead, he moves towards the western door and sniffs at the crack under the door. He begins to growl.

OOC: @JustinCase, have Tuck make a Listen check.

JustinCase said:
OOC: Search for traps: 1D20+15 = [20]+15 = 35
Darn, being thorough is right! If there are any traps, Tuck finds them. :)
OOC: That's considered a 45, so yeah, if there had been traps, he'd have found them. I'm going to extend that Search check to the first room Tuck finds himself in. Tuck can tell that none of the doors are trapped and that there aren't any traps in the floor or on the walls. None of the doors are locked but the western door appears to be stuck.


Tim allows Tuck to go first; as soon as the landing area is pronounced safe, Tim grabs the rope and squeezes his big form into the hole, climbing down to the confines of the tunnel; he fits, but there's not a lot of wiggle room.
Tim finds the way down to be tight and tedious. Without the rope, he'd have fallen for sure. As it is, his fingers slip on the rope and nearly faceplants on top of Mutt. The dog barks at him and then goes back to growling at the door he's standing in front of. Tuck is standing next to big dog and trying to pull him away from the door, so Tim a place to come down safely. Tim is soon standing over Mutt. The room is damp, yet Tim has to be careful to not step on the arcanus's torch.

Tellerian Hawke said:
Tim says, in a quiet tone, "I'm right behind you, the whole way. I'll never be more than 10 feet behind you. If you see enemies, get behind me and let me face the assault. That's what I do."
Vinccenzo takes his turn going down the hole without much fanfare, though it is mainly to get his guard up
"Is there any room for us down there?" Custodio says. His voice resounds through the chamber, but it isn't overtly loud. The small room seems to act as an echoing chamber.

Vinccenzo doesn't wait for the answer. He slides down the rope and comes to land right next to Tuck near the open double doors. There is very little light, as the torch has become damp and is only embers now. Then Tim accidentally steps on the torch and crushes it under his foot. The light goes out and Vinny can no longer see.

OOC: While I should make you guys roll Climb checks (DC 5) to climb down successfully with the rope without falling, I'm not going to worry about it. Too much dice rolling.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Both Tuck and Tim can see that there are two statues against the walls flanking the center of the room. The statues are 20 feet into the room and they look like winged beasts. Neither one of them appears to be moving but the two adventurers are sure if they are just statues or something... else.

OOC: I forgot to put the statues on the map. Just a sec.
 
Last edited:


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
With a weary sigh, the priest of the Seelie queen gets down, slowly, carefully, and with lots of quiet cursing and too tight clinging on the rope.

Once down, he looks at the dirt floor and with another sigh, the armor unfolds around him as he hitches his robes higher in hopes of keeping them clean for at least moments more.
 


Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top