log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
”What is it?” Tuck whispers to Mutt, then moves closer to that door and listens intently.

Tuck can definitely hear something moving on the other side of the door but it isn't right next to the door. The sound echoes slightly but then it stops and all Tuck hears is silence. Whatever it is either stopped moving or has gone beyond what the kobold urban ranger can hear. Tuck is certain it was footsteps he heard. His scales itch. The equivalent of hairs standing up on a human's neck.

Mutt sits in front of the door and continues to growl, low and menacing at the door.

With a weary sigh, the priest of the Seelie queen gets down, slowly, carefully, and with lots of quiet cursing and too tight clinging on the rope.

Once down, he looks at the dirt floor and with another sigh, the armor unfolds around him as he hitches his robes higher in hopes of keeping them clean for at least moments more.
Akos soon finds himself stuffed in a small room barely big enough for Tim, Tuck, and Vinccenzo let alone him and Tuck's big dog. There is a door directly to the Loremaster's right, opposite the door on the western wall. Akos can't tell if it is locked or not and he's not sure Tuck has checked all the closed doors yet. He stands under the shadow of Big Tim, who helped him down the last part of the rope. There isn't room for anyone else in the room without bumping into each other.

Custodio digs into his pack and pulls out a sunrod. He gives the alchemical device a good smack against one of the cell's metal bars and light billows out from it. He holds it over the open hole and yells, "Sunrod, coming down! Watch your heads!" He drops the device and it lands in between Big Tim and Tuck. The light fills the entire room and beyond up to 30 feet. Shadows dance in the gloom 30 feet beyond that into the second room to the north.

The light passes under the door that Tuck is investigating and he hears something skitter more loudly this time. Tuck knows that sound. He's faced off against such beasts before on the edges of the Undercity. A giant spider most likely. With the moisture on the floor, it likely won't be a giant scorpion.

"Good luck with that." says Vinny, glancing around the room
At first, Vinny can't see anything in the dark room, except the looming shadow of Tim above him and the light coming in from the hole in the guard post's floor above. Then, Custodio drops the sunrod and it is as bright as daylight in the room. Room isn't the right word for it. It's more like a closet but it smells like a privy.

He can soon see past the two open doors and the choke point beyond, which spans 15 feet before opening up into a larger room. roughly 30 feet beyond the choke point is the outline of a statue sitting along the other room's western wall. It appears to be of some sort of winged beast but its features are clear from Vinccenzo's current position.

"I'm next," Breva insists. He doesn't want to be the last one down.

"I think we should wait until there is more room," Custodio suggests. "It's way too tight down there."

"Not for me," Arcanus Noguera says.

"Arcanus, you should wait until we've secured the immediate area," Custodio replies.

The young diviner looks down into the hole. "It looks pretty secure to me."

"Arcanus, I must insist..."

"Castellana," she interrupts. "That is my name. If we're going to work together, you should use it instead of my title." She grabs the rope and easily slides down it into the room below. Almost as easily as Tuck did. She comes out next to the kobold urban ranger who is still studying the door with Mutt standing next to him. She can see that he is listening intently so she stays quiet and distracts Mutt by patting him on the head.

"Well, I guess she's more than a diviner," Custodio says with a smile. He takes a hold of the rope and hands it Breva. "After you, but let's wait a moment." Then, he looks at Falen. "Then you're next. I'll go last."
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"We need to move, this is too risky." Akos says as he tries the door next to him.

OOC: action: try the door, no opening yet, just to chech if it is locked.
 


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Breva stands ready sword in hand for whatever might be revealed by the door.
Custodio and Falen wait for Breva to descend the rope into the room below. By the time he reaches the bottom, the group is packed together like sardines in a metal tin. Tuck is forced to get on top of Mutt and the big dog bumps his butt into Tim's knee. Breva watches as Akos tries the door in front of him and Tuck tries to sooth Mutt's discomfort. Vinccenzo has put himself against the wall opposite of where Breva lands in the room.

The arcanus, Castellana, is forced to move into open doorway, after she scoops up the sunrod, to make room for the paladin's descent into the room. She hold it up high and studies the room beyond. "There are definitely two statues in the next room," she says softly to the others. "I can't tell if they're just statues. They appear bestial with what looks like wings."

"We need to move, this is too risky." Akos says as he tries the door next to him.

OOC: action: try the door, no opening yet, just to check if it is locked.
Akos risks checking the knob of the door and he finds that it is unlocked. The door isn't stuck either. No trap springs and no audible magical alarm goes off. With one hand on the door knob, his robe is soon brushing against the slickness of the floor. Dampness seeps into the garment's fringes.

"This place certainly does smell evil," Castellana says. The young arcanus covers her face with a cloth and tries not to gag.

The small room was warm and damp initially but now with so many bodies in it, the perceived temperature begins to rise. Everyone is soon sweating and the smell of the previous fight against the Rising Swords begins to fill the small space.

The heat reminds Big Tim of the steam baths in the capital city of Vrocia, Ilfrey, on his home world, although the smell is less man sweat and more open sewer grate. The Imperial Valleys of Almagra are often bitterly cold, so the heat of the city's steam baths were always welcome after a long day.

For Tuck, the heat and smell isn't any worse for him than the Undercity on a busy day in the Cavern Harbor during high summer, and the tight quarters are no different than the Coach & Six Market during its weekly night markets.

Custodio stands ready to help Falen descend into the room, but the half-hobgoblin insists on waiting until the group spreads out beyond the first room, as he doesn't want to become a sardine in a can. Being packed together is risky.

'How did I get here?' Falen thinks.

He's found himself roped into a band of adventurers headed into danger. Normally that's not a problem for Falen as he's adventurered before, but he didn't really have time to prepare for a dungeon crawl. Still, if there are answers to his questions down below, or, at least, clues about how to get into and out of this Phelix's Del Cannitha's demiplane safely, it will be worth it. At the very least, The Dusk won't be looking for him underground, he hopes.
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Giant spider," Tuck whispers, motioning to the door Mutt was growling at. "Let's leave it be for now."

The kobold briefly listens at the other doors, seeming unconcerned with the lack of space with all these people. His race is used to even more packing together. Then he shrugs and faces the corridor, with the two statues.

OOC: Is the door Akos tried, the same Tuck and Mutt were inspecting?

Listen checks for the other two doors:
1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11
1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim ponders the matter briefly, before making a suggestion: "Tuck, check the narrow corridor, to see if it's trapped. If not, why don't you all move into it, and leave me here. I can fight well in this space, if I don't have people crowding me. Then I can open whichever door you guys want me to. I'll take the brunt of whatever we face, and you guys can provide backup. I'm good at holding off foes with Rizvan. Although, a protective spell or two before we start would also be welcome."

Tim smiles happily.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Giant spider," Tuck whispers, motioning to the door Mutt was growling at. "Let's leave it be for now."

The kobold briefly listens at the other doors, seeming unconcerned with the lack of space with all these people. His race is used to even more packing together. Then he shrugs and faces the corridor, with the two statues.

OOC: Is the door Akos tried, the same Tuck and Mutt were inspecting?

Listen checks for the other two doors:
1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11
1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13
Tuck easily gets to the door behind Tim and presses his ear to it. Mutt moves with him but his instincts to stay quiet kick in as Tuck tries to hear if there is any movement behind the door. There is only silence. He rechecks the door to make sure it is indeed unlocked. It isn't. He then moves to the door that Akos tried. He repeat his process while Mutt stays behind Tim. Again, there is only silence, although he senses a slight breeze coming from under the door. He inspects the door's knob and it isn't locked either.

Breva moves to where Tuck had been originally and the young arcanus steps back into the small room to where the paladin moved from. There is more than enough room for Castellana to stand in Tim's shadow alongside Akos. Tuck takes her position while Mutt moves to his pack mate, passing through Tim's legs.

Looking down the corridor, he sees the two statues that the arcanus pointed out. They look like statues of... gargoyles? The center section of room's floor is made of a dark metal. While it doesn't look like it is has been blackened, it has been put to either shield against something or enhance some sort of magical effect.

Tuck's scales continue to itch.

Tuck senses that the hallway is a trap or an ambush. More than likely the statues are either gargoyles holding very still, are animated objects that will attack once the group reaches a certain point in the room, or there is a trap somewhere built into the statues. There could be a pressure panel on the floor somewhere that will set something off. If there is a lever to disable a trap, it's likely closer to the room's entry point.

Tuck - Sense Motive - Hunch (DC 20): 1D20+7 = [15]+7 = 22 (success)

Tim ponders the matter briefly, before making a suggestion: "Tuck, check the narrow corridor, to see if it's trapped. If not, why don't you all move into it, and leave me here. I can fight well in this space, if I don't have people crowding me. Then I can open whichever door you guys want me to. I'll take the brunt of whatever we face, and you guys can provide backup. I'm good at holding off foes with Rizvan. Although, a protective spell or two before we start would also be welcome."

Tim smiles happily.
"I can make you more resistant to a form of magical energy," Castellana offers. "Fire, cold, or the like. It would only be against one form of magical energy, but I can guarantee to will protect you against most lesser spells and that it will last just over an hour."
 


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"It's a trap," Tuck mutters, indicating the hallway and motioning for Tim to not move yet.

First the kobold looks at the statues from afar. "Gargoyles? Something seems off. Maybe a trap within the statues."

Then he inspects the floor, ceiling and walls, looking for any odd bits, increments or different materials and surfaces.

He picks up the pebble he threw down before, weighing it in his clawed hand to judge how best to throw it down the hallway to trigger any traps.

OOC: Search for traps in the corridor:
Search: 1D20+15 = [12]+15 = 27

If Tuck finds any and can reasonably assume it is triggered safely by the pebble, he throws it. If he finds no traps, he will throw it, too, just to make sure.
 

Scotley

Adventurer
Breva shuffles around in the tight space to enact Tims suggestion and can't help smiling as he is reminded of a country dance popular back in his mountain home. He breaks his revere and responds to Tuck. "A trap you say? There must be some way to disarm it or whatever villans use this place could not get in. If it is a secret phrase or some magic we may not be able to disarm it, but if there is some device perhaps you can find it?" He begins to look about. "Perhaps we could all help?"

OOC: Spot Check [url=CoyoteCode Dice Roller: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21
[/url]
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Knowing that Waldo loves to use fire spells, Tim will graciously accept protection vs. fire.
Castellana nods and incants her spell and a field of blue energy encompasses Tim for several seconds. He can momentarily see his breath as the magic settles on his skin and armor. Then the sensation passes.

OOC: Resist Energy (Fire): Fire Resistance 10 for 70 minutes.

"It's a trap," Tuck mutters, indicating the hallway and motioning for Tim to not move yet.

First the kobold looks at the statues from afar. "Gargoyles? Something seems off. Maybe a trap within the statues."
Breva shuffles around in the tight space to enact Tim's suggestion and can't help smiling as he is reminded of a country dance popular back in his mountain home. He breaks his revere and responds to Tuck. "A trap you say? There must be some way to disarm it or whatever villains use this place could not get in. If it is a secret phrase or some magic we may not be able to disarm it, but if there is some device perhaps you can find it?"
Castellana turns to Tuck and raises an eyebrow. "I didn't sense anything near the doors. Of course, I rarely practice my old stealth skills anymore." She looks like she's going to say more but then decides against it.

She watches as Falen makes his way down from above. The half-hobgoblin makes the descent look routine. Once down he takes a look at the cramped quarters of the room. Suddenly, he feels like he's back in the cramped interior of the ship that brought him to Bluffside. All that's missing is the smell of the sea.

Custodio waits for his turn up above.

JustinCase said:
Then (Tuck) inspects the floor, ceiling and walls, looking for any odd bits, increments or different materials and surfaces.

He picks up the pebble he threw down before, weighing it in his clawed hand to judge how best to throw it down the hallway to trigger any traps.

OOC: Search for traps in the corridor:
Search: 1D20+15 = [12]+15 = 27

If Tuck finds any and can reasonably assume it is triggered safely by the pebble, he throws it. If he finds no traps, he will throw it, too, just to make sure.
Castellana hands the sunrod to Akos before moving to help Tuck.

Tuck goes over every inch of the choke point before heading into the room itself. The two pillars are soon flanking him with Mutt sitting 10 feet behind him. The dog seems to be guarding Tuck's back. Castellana and Breva try to help him search the pillars, walls, and floors without anyone moving too far into the room. Castellana is of help but Breva seems more intent in spotting an enemy foe and examining the statues for any movement. No one steps on the central metal section of the room's floor.

The urban ranger finds no triggering mechanism that sets off a trap or a hidden switch or lever that would disarm a trap. The pebble he throws bounces on the metal floor, which he can now see is made of iron. (The metal looks like it would be smooth to the touch.) The pebble bounces several times like if it was skipping on water. Nothing happens. No trap goes off and the two gargoyles don't move.

Yet, Tuck's scales continue to itch.

He knows there is something wrong with the room. He can see all the way down to the other side of the room. 20 feet beyond the statues, the room narrows back into a 10 foot corridor that continues on beyond the range of the light and his darkvision. Two more columns sit in the room's other corners and flank the opening into the far corridor.

"I didn't find anything," the diviner whispers to Tuck. "Did you?"

OOC: Castellana - Search (Aid Another) (DC 10): 1D20+6 = [6]+6 = 12 (success)[/OOC] (+2 to Tuck Search check)

Scotley said:
He begins to look about. "Perhaps we could all help?"

OOC: Spot Check [url=CoyoteCode Dice Roller: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21[/url]
Custodio begins his descent after Breva moves forward to help the kobold urban ranger. By the time he makes it down, the paladin has had a chance to study the room in front of him in detail. He doesn't move beyond where Tuck says it is safe.

Breva looks into the room as far as his vision allows. The room is fairly plain. There are no markings on the walls or any signs of scorch marks. that would be from a fire spell. The gargoyles look like they are just statues. If they are true gargoyles they are holding so still that he cannot see them breathe. Do gargoyles breathe? He isn't sure. His fields of knowledge is religion and nobility not the natural world.

Castellana watches Breva intently. She goes back to Akos and retrieves the sunrod. She brings the light forward, so she and the paladin can view the two gargoyles under full light. She can now see the other two columns. Again, the two stony figures don't move.

"I don't think those are true gargoyles," she whispers to Tuck. "Hmm," she holds the light up higher and moves it left and right. "That one looks strange." She points to the eastern statue. "I don't think it's alive but thing it might be magical. If we go near it, it will likely animate and attack." She looks at Breva. "I don't think it is undead. It could be some sort of construct. I'm not sure."

The figure still doesn't move, even with Tuck only 15 feet away from it. The kobold urban ranger knows that the arcanus is probably right. He'd have to get a lot closer for anything to happen. Perhaps the spot right in front of it. In the full light, he can see that the other gargoyle is definitely only a statue, but it could still be an animated object. He is fairly sure that there isn't a trap attached to the metal floor or to the other statue, but he's not sure about beyond the end of the metal floor.

His scales continue to itch but the sensation isn't as strong as was originally.

Castellana moves back to the others. She motions to Akos. "Loremaster, I think one of the statues is actually a construct of some kind, but I can't really tell what it might be. It looks like a gargoyle but it looks... disjointed."

 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck nods, agreeing with Castellanas assessment of the statues. To be fair, his expertise is in mundane traps, not magical ones or animated objects, but it seems logical enough.

"Don't touch the metal," he says, pointing to the floor surface between the statues. Not that the kobold is sure there is a trap there, but better safe than sorry.

Then, on instinct, Tuck starts looking around the hallway. First with his eyes, then he closes them and, using his other senses, almost preternaturally feels what his eyes aren't telling him.

OOC: Casting the ranger spell Detect Secret Doors.

Almost forgot I had it prepared. :)
 


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tuck nods, agreeing with Castellanas assessment of the statues. To be fair, his expertise is in mundane traps, not magical ones or animated objects, but it seems logical enough.

"Don't touch the metal," he says, pointing to the floor surface between the statues. Not that the kobold is sure there is a trap there, but better safe than sorry.

Then, on instinct, Tuck starts looking around the hallway. First with his eyes, then he closes them and, using his other senses, almost preternaturally feels what his eyes aren't telling him.

OOC: Casting the ranger spell Detect Secret Doors.

Almost forgot I had it prepared. :)
Tuck moves as far down the hallway as he dares without touching the metal floor or touching the two statues. He senses that he can get closer to the statue along the western wall without anything happening. He gets a better vantage of the other 'statue' and can tell just by looking at it that it is not the same as the statue in front of him. The overall look is more fragmented than the mundane statue. He can see what appears to be... stitching on the construct's face. It is definitely a guardian of some kind.

Mutt whines softly, as he doesn't like Tuck being so far away, but he sits and waits.

Looking at the mundane statue, he's certain he could slip by it to the other side of the room without too much difficulty, but as he reaches out with his enhanced senses, he immediately detects danger up ahead. Just beyond the metal floor, is a hidden compartment -- a trapdoor in the floor designed to be hidden until someone steps on it. It is 10 feet by 10 feet and completely blocks the path into the hallway that leads north.

Tuck's scales stop itching.

He knows that if he can get past the statue and to the trap door, he can probably disarm it. The question is, if he goes past the mundane statue, will the guardian attack him?

OOC: Tuck can make a Climb check (DC 12) to climb over the statue to the other side or he can make a Balance check (DC 15). Getting past the statue without touching the metal floor is a bit awkward, which is why the Balance check is harder. On a Natural 1, Tuck falls onto the metal floor unless he makes a successful Dexterity check (DC 20).

Akos follows to the entrance, but doesn't walk between the statues.
Attuning himself to emanations of magic, he scans the room, slowly and carefully, focusing on any aura found to analyze it.
Castellana stays back near Mutt to let Akos have a full field of vision. Breva stands next to the Loremaster. Tuck tells Akos and the others to stay off the metal section of the floor in the rectangular room's center. Akos is forced to step away from the young paladin and around the column towards the so-called construct to avoid being distracted by the aura emanating from Breva's armor.

The Loremaster knows that his innate knowledge of auras won't reveal the construct's true nature. Constructs are not magical items, but if there is a magical trigger that will cause it to attack, Akos should be able to sense it. Once he's able to focus on just the statue in front of him, he immediately sees an aura from a strange bone collar around the thing's neck. The aura is faint and it is based on Transmutation magic. Perhaps it is what is keeping the thing from attacking or what will activate if Akos and the others get too close. The Loremaster doesn't see any auras on the floor or any lingering auras beyond the statue and construct.

Is it a construct though? Akos wonders.

Akos - Knowledge (arcana) check: 1D20+13 = [16]+13 = 29 (success)

Akos suddenly knows what is standing in front of him. It is unique type of flesh golem known as a gargoyle golem. The collar around its neck likely enhances its fighting abilities and the golem has been encased in armor that looks like it could have come from the skin of a real gargoyle. The construct is smaller than a normal flesh golem but is it is still dangerous. Akos looks up to see that the ceiling is the same height as that of the first room... 20 feet. If it gets airborne...

Akos knows that its creator likely gave it a pass phrase that will allow people to pass unchallenged. The Loremaster senses that if anyone goes past it without speaking the correct phrase, it will attack. The metal floor likely doesn't matter.

OOC: Akos knows its magical immunities and that it can go berserk (as per the Flesh Golem entry in the MM pp. 135-136). Unlike a normal flesh golem, a gargoyle golem can fly 60 feet, although it is considered a poor flier. The extra gargoyle armor and collar are external enhancements that someone has made to the construct to make it tougher.
 


Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Loremaster enters his lecture mode.
"The right one is called Gargoyle construct. The difference between it and normal flesh golem is the armor it wears, made of stone...actual gargoyle skin. And it can fly. It is slow and clumsy, but it can get aerial.

It is highly resistant to magic, fire and ice will slow it down somewhat, lighting will heal it so don't hit it with lightning. That collar around its neck is magical and likely some kind of enhancement of the golem, maybe to make it resistant to fire or to make it stronger. If you can remove it somehow, it would be ideal.

It is also resistant somewhat to physical damage, but given our team fighters it shouldn't be too much of a hindrance. I essentially cannot harm it, but I can help you in the battle by healing and enhancing."


He motions toward the plate and the other construct
"I don't see anything on the plate or the statue. Doesn't mean it is safe, just that it is not magical."

Turning back toward the golem.
"I have a spell that creates a force, not a creature so it may bypass the activation depending on how it was worded. I would like to try and remove the necklace before we enter. Tuck, you may want to come back for that one. And we may want to clear out the rooms first, just in case."

OOC: Knightfall, do I use your roll for Knowledge devotion or should I roll new one?
The force thingy I'm thinking of is Unseen Servant - it is not a creature, it will not attack...and may remove the necklace...maybe :)
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck curses to himself, then with the new information he hesitates.

"There's a trap right behind the metal," he states for his allies to hear. "I think I can disarm it, but are we sure the golem will not attack me if I try?"

Then he turns to Vinny and grins his strange reptilian grin. "That would certainly help, thanks!"

Once he is levitated, Tuck decides to hover over the metal instead. He looks at where the trap is, then turns to the golem.

"I am going to take the necklace," he warns the others, "Prepare yourselves!"

OOC: Tuck will wait until Akos casts the Unseen Servant spell before actually taking the necklace.
 


JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: Oh, I misunderstood. But before I change my action (probably to land beyond the metal floor), I'll wait to see what the others think.
 


An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top