Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim introduces himself, "I am Sir Tymbeck Valencia, Knight of the Scarlet Cross, of the city of Kalchith, loyal servant and proxy of the King of Vrocia, Lieutenant Junior Grade in the King's Army, in the 3rd Infantry Regiment under the command of Duke Sir Grigory Polzin. I realize that these names mean nothing to you; I hail from a different world, brought here by the winds of fate, at the whim of the powers that be. For now, I serve Commander Oakfirst, and seek to help him quell the troubles that now plague Bluffside."
"Ah, you are the one the people refer to as the Knight from the Stars. You should know that you arrival in Bluffside is becoming quite the tale being told and retold," the dragori notes. "Gias, the Great Mother, has a strong connection to the natural world and, thus, The World Goddess, Mirella. While the two are not the same being, I feel they are divine Sisters. Gias showed the High Sister the truth of your origins soon after the rumors began spreading. She has told me some of it, privately, since we didn't want to add more rumors to the wind. You are fortunate to have The World Goddess's eyes on you, Sir Valencia."

Relgar quietly seethes at the description of delCannitha's mystic proclivities. The Far Realm, seriously? Maniacs like that are why people don't trust arcanists. Thank the Archmage of the Deities that abjurations exist, even if there aren't nearly enough of them (the limited efficacy of Dispel Magic and similar spells ultimately settled a younger version of Relgar on specializing in Evocation magic instead; Lightning Bolt might not be the strongest of spells, but it is relatively predictable, just as the former draftsman prefers).
The intelligent tome Relgar carries whispers a Prayer of Intercession to the Archmage as it listens to the draftwizard's internal musings. Then Eclipso speaks to him telepathically. 'Relgar, the dragori in front of you is a formidable soul. It is unlikely that he is simply sick. It could be possible that someone powerful has cursed him, but I doubt the renegade. This seems to be beyond the will of a mad sorcerer. His evil patron, perhaps'.

Tuck bows slightly at Sylemis while patting Mutt absentmindedly.

"Thank you, Sylemis," the kobold says as if talking to an old friend. "How do you feel today? Better, I hope?"

Gesturing at the dog, he continues, "Mutt here wanted to go for a walk, and went straight here. Well, when I say 'straight', I mean by way of the Sublime Bazaar, and I cannot help but wonder about the tales people will tell in the days to come about the fierce canine called Big Mutt, barely kept in check by poor old me."
"I am feeling as Fate decrees. My meditations do allow me to keep my strength from fading but that will not last forever," Sylemis replies. "Huverel and the others worry too much about my health and not enough about their duties."

"But with good reason," the half-elven druid insists.

"Whatever Fate has planned for me cannot be stopped by worry. The Great Mother will watch over my soul. That is enough for me."

JustinCase said:
He yaps in a way that makes it obvious the little reptilian is laughing to himself, while Mutt moves over to the dragori expecting to be petted. "Watch him, he can be ferocious," Tuck says earnestly, even though Mutt has not shown any sign of ferocity in his life.
The dragori smirks before his look becomes serious as the big dog wags its tail. Mutt seems wary, until Sylemis laughs. He motions for the dog to sit without a word and Mutt complies. The dragori druid uses his staff to scratch under the big dog's chin. Then he motions for Mutt to lie down and pets the canine gently. The dog barks several times

"You brother tells me he is quite fond of the Gardens," Sylemis says to Tuck.

JustinCase said:
After introducing his companions to Sylemis, the kobold continues in hushed tones, "We suspect some Loyalists may have a hideout somewhere in the Gardens. What do you think are some places we could start looking?"
"Yes, I have heard the rumors of false guards in the Gardens. If I was stronger, i would find out the truth myself. The Regulars and Elites assigned here tend become distracted by their surroundings. Their work is often stressful and sometimes I think Oakfirst and the other leaders assign those that need a break here."

"I have looked for signs of these fake guards without much luck," Huverel adds. "Of course, I'm no investigator, so I might have missed something obvious."

"I'm sure Tuck and his friends here can determine the truth," Sylemis says to his subordinate before looking back at the kobold. "You might want to start by speaking to tower wizard, Lady Émilienne. She's currently investigating a strange sighting near one of the Garden's outer towers." He looks back at Huverel.

"She is at the Northeast Garden Tower interviewing a young guard named Kaleb Raupach," the half-elf druid adds. "Raupach is new to the Elites and his post, but he's still been working in Gardens for more than six months."

"Hmm, I haven't heard of him," Custodio notes. "But, I cannot know the names of every Elite."

"Lady Émilienne knows the boy," Sylemis says. "Rumor has it he saw something... strange on the Garden Wall just last evening."

Akos waits politely until friendly banter subsides before stepping forward.

He bows to the old warrior.
"Greetings, Sylemis of the dragori. I am Akos, a Loremaster of the Order of the Teacher. We're here to check on recent disturbances in the Garden. Along the investigation we learned about your...challenge. With your permission, I...we...would like to examine you for traces of radiation poisoning. As you know, various portals lead to other places, not all of them safe to the living. And this one was opened right here in The Garden."
Akos bows and waits for the answer.
"I am happy for your help, Loremaster Akos," the dragori replies while scratching behind Mutt's left ear. The dog is happy, content. "But I should tell you that the High Sister couldn't even cure me and she is the most powerful Sister of the Grove in Bluffside. I am certain that I have been cursed beyond what mere mortal magic can cure. I suspect that the spirit of one of my ancestors has cursed me for what transpired in my homeland all those years ago. I failed to protect my charge, and he died. To lift the curse, I would likely have to travel there and beg my ancestor's forgiveness. As an exile, that is not an option for me."

He pauses and lets out a long sigh. Mutt notes the dragori's discomfort and nuzzles close to the dragon-kin. Sylemis leans on his staff and then sits down next to the big dog. He looks quite tired.

"You should rest," Huverel insists.

"Nonsense, I will not sleep on such a beautiful day. I must go to the Western Gardens and tend to the plants and the people. I do not want them to worry about me."
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

Adventurer
"I am happy for your help, Loremaster Akos," the dragori replies while scratching behind Mutt's left ear. The dog is happy, content. "But I should tell you that the High Sister couldn't even cure me and she is the most powerful Sister of the Grove in Bluffside. I am certain that I have been cursed beyond what mere mortal magic can cure. I suspect that the spirit of one of my ancestors has cursed me for what transpired in my homeland all those years ago. I failed to protect my charge, and he died. To lift the curse, I would likely have to travel there and beg my ancestor's forgiveness. As an exile, that is not an option for me."
"With all due respect, master Sylemis, but all I hear are lots of suppositions."
"You're letting your fears of failure color your thinking - you have absolutely nothing that proves your ancestors are disatisfied with you. With everything we know since you came here, you are worthy and powerful guardian, steadfast and honorable. But you need to accept one thing: you cannot save them all. Sometimes, things happen as the Gods will and you may be here not because you failed, but because Fate needed you here."
"Please let me examine you. I am not trying to cure you, there are more powerful casters that could do it. But I could maybe determine what the problem is. That way, one can seek correct solution."
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Lady Émilienne," Tuck repeats softly, "Tower wizard. Strange things on the Garden Wall."

It looks like the kobold is memorizing the information, and then when he is done, nods at Sylemis.

"Thank you very much, friend. I hope our investigation will prove fruitful, and I hope that your affliction can be remedied soon."

Tuck eyes Akos, having understood nothing of what the Loremaster spoke in that ancient language, but he seems to detect a certain tone. His little reptilian face turns insecure, maybe even fearful; his natural inclination to avoid larger folk's anger means he does nothing but observe the interaction between one he respects quite a bit, and one who he believes talks too much.

OOC: Tuck will suggest going to Lady Émilienne right away, as soon as he is convinced the conversation between Akos and Sylemis is done.

Edit: Adjusted my post after @Neurotic informed me it wasn't Draconic Akos spoke, but Ticin.
 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"With all due respect, master Sylemis, but all I hear are lots of suppositions."
"You're letting your fears of failure color your thinking - you have absolutely nothing that proves your ancestors are disatisfied with you. With everything we know since you came here, you are worthy and powerful guardian, steadfast and honorable. But you need to accept one thing: you cannot save them all. Sometimes, things happen as the Gods will and you may be here not because you failed, but because Fate needed you here."
Sylemis cocks his head as if he doesn't understand what you are saying.

Neurotic said:
"Please let me examine you. I am not trying to cure you, there are more powerful casters that could do it. But I could maybe determine what the problem is. That way, one can seek correct solution."
"If you can discover something that others haven't, I'm happy to let you examine me. I am not so proud that I won't accept your help, Loremaster."

"Lady Émilienne," Tuck repeats softly, "Tower wizard. Strange things on the Garden Wall."

It looks like the kobold is memorizing the information, and then when he is done, nods at Sylemis.

"Thank you very much, friend. I hope our investigation will prove fruitful, and I hope that your affliction can be remedied soon."

Tuck eyes Akos, having understood nothing of what the Loremaster spoke in that ancient language, but he seems to detect a certain tone. His little reptilian face turns insecure, maybe even fearful; his natural inclination to avoid larger folk's anger means he does nothing but observe the interaction between one he respects quite a bit, and one who he believes talks too much.
"As do I," Sylemis replies. "But if my dreams and visions are correct, I doubt simple spells will cure this curse." The dragori taps Mutt on the back and the big dog moves over to Tuck and sit's next to his pack mate. The reptilian druid remains seated in a state of repose and motions Akos forward. "I am ready. Perform your examinations, Loremaster Akos. I will remain in repose." The dragori calms his breathing and waits.

"If you need me to cast one of my detection spells, I am ready," Custodio whispers to Akos. "If there is some sort of evil spirit attached to him, detect undead might locate it."
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
To Custodio: "I'm afraid it's more likely that effect needs to detect outsiders, but cast your spell anyhow. Detect evil too, if you have it."

To Sylemis: "Please tell me of your symptoms. When they started and how? What are the manifestations now? Please leave nothing out. Don't underplay them, we know you're strong, nothing to prove to us. Just tell them clearly. Especially things that cannot be seen, such as any strange thoughts, impulses you need to control, dreams and other internal things. I will cast protection from evil and ask you to drink this holy water just as a way to rule out simple possesion. I'm sure others did that already, but I like to be thorough."
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Big Tim watches with interest as these events unfold; knowing nothing of magicks, he is content to stand by, in hopes of learning through observation. While he watches, he muses to himself: ~Why live in ignorance forever? When one ceases to learn, one ceases to grow. I am content with being unable to cast spells; but having a rudimentary knowledge of their diverse forms, purpose, and practicality, would serve me well.~
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck pats Mutt on the flank distractedly as he observes Akos during his examination of the dragori. The kobold feels glad he knows Sylemis, appreciating the sincere interest the druid takes in him and Mutt.

Then he looks at his current companions. They, too, seem to have accepted him into their midst, despite his heritage. The kobold feels proud that one such as he is accepted, perhaps even respected by these big folk.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
To Custodio: "I'm afraid it's more likely that effect needs to detect outsiders, but cast your spell anyhow. Detect evil too, if you have it."
"I can also cast a protection from evil spell on you while you examine him in addition to detecting undead," Custodio says. He says a prayer to the Purifier and light fills his eyes for a moment as the detect undead spell comes into effect. He looks around the temple for any signs of an undead presence. He turns and scans the entire area around the dragori druid. When he is finished, he turns to Akos and shakes his head. "I cannot detect any undead auras although the spells range is limited to 60 feet."

"Well, that's good news," Huverel notes.

"But not unexpected," Sylemis adds. "A dragori ancestor spirit probably wouldn't be revealed by such a spell. But, it spell I cannot cast, so it was worth the effort." He nods to Custodio. "I would save your protection spell young soldier, for now."

Neurotic said:
To Sylemis: "Please tell me of your symptoms. When they started and how? What are the manifestations now? Please leave nothing out. Don't underplay them, we know you're strong, nothing to prove to us. Just tell them clearly. Especially things that cannot be seen, such as any strange thoughts, impulses you need to control, dreams and other internal things. I will cast protection from evil and ask you to drink this holy water just as a way to rule out simple possesion. I'm sure others did that already, but I like to be thorough."
"Hmm, symptoms. I guess the most obvious thing is that I have trouble standing or doing my daily exercises. I lose my breath with little effort. I cannot run with the wind nor dance with the leaves. The sun usually brings me joy, but now it just hurts my eyes and the unending sound of the city hurts my ears. I rarely leave the Gardens, as Old City is a frantic place." He looks at his fellow Tender. "Huverel and the others think I should take a break from the city and travel to Lake Aarz for some solace." He pauses. "I've considered it, but I doubt it would cure me of this affliction."

He looks at Akos. "I have not had any strange thoughts or impulses, unless you think wanting to sleep all day is a strange impulse. My dreams are of my homeland and my failure as a bodyguard all those years ago. I'm not prone to nightmares, as humans would call such bad dreams, but I have revisited my patron's death over and over in my dreams." He turns and shows Akos the stub of of what was once his tail. "For my failure, my tail was cut off and the stub was cursed so that it could never be regrown. This is known as the Dock and Block among my people. Without my tail, I have no honor and other dragori do not see me as one of them."

"Not even a regenerate spell will grow it back," Huverel adds.

"I had grown content with my dishonor. Bluffside is my home now," the dragori druid says. "While I miss the desert, I have no desire to return to the empire."

Big Tim watches with interest as these events unfold; knowing nothing of magicks, he is content to stand by, in hopes of learning through observation. While he watches, he muses to himself: ~Why live in ignorance forever? When one ceases to learn, one ceases to grow. I am content with being unable to cast spells; but having a rudimentary knowledge of their diverse forms, purpose, and practicality, would serve me well.~
Big Tim once witnessed a regenerate spell being used to regrow the lost leg on a child that fell off a cliff. The magick had been quite potent. For such a spell to not work on the dragori's tail, is, troubling.

"You should tell them about how you must reclaim your honor," an older human druid says to Sylemis. "The Loremaster will need to know that too."

"Yes, thank you, Brother Athan," he nods glumly. "While the Dock and Block cannot be reversed without the blessing of the Diamond Throne, I can regain honor for me and my family by killing myself."

"It is so ridiculous!" Huverel says irately.

"There are many cultures in this world that view honor in such a way," Custodio notes. "While the Purifier rarely asks for death when one of our knights fails in his duty, there are some fanatics in the church who atone by risking their lives trying to complete deadly quests."

Tuck pats Mutt on the flank distractedly as he observes Akos during his examination of the dragori. The kobold feels glad he knows Sylemis, appreciating the sincere interest the druid takes in him and Mutt.

Then he looks at his current companions. They, too, seem to have accepted him into their midst, despite his heritage. The kobold feels proud that one such as he is accepted, perhaps even respected by these big folk.
Tuck had always wondered about Sylemis' lack of a tail and the stump. He hadn't known that it had been cut off for his failure to protect a life. To lose a tail for the sake of being dishonored seems brutal.

Relgar silently observes.
Relgar listens to the dragori's plight. Couldn't a wish spell break such a curse? It would be risky but a tail is an important appendage for balance, is it not? Perhaps for dragori, it is more like a beauty mark or a fancy outfit. No, that hardly seems likely.

'He has suffered a great indignity', the Eclipse muses to Relgar in the draft-wizard's mind. 'For his people, there is no greater loss than to be denied their tail. Even one's life is less important'. The book grows silent for moment. 'But you are correct, a wish spell, or priestly miracle, could allow him to regain it, at least, temporarily. If he has truly been cursed by the Dragori God Emperor sitting on the Diamond Throne, I doubt a wish would permanently circumvent the Dock and Block'.
 
Last edited:

Neurotic

Adventurer
"Would your joining in our quest and vanquishing the evil festering here regain your honor?" Akos asks the druid.

And turning to Custodio, in Ticin
"Cast the protection, please. It is more important to be thorough than it is to lose one spell."

Returning his attention to dragori, Akos offers small vial. "This may be unpleasant to one used to rigid discipline, but shouldn't hurt. Unless there is evil hidden within. Depending on the curse particulars, you may feel a burning back there, but it will not last."

As they touch, silent blast of power passes from the fey cleric into the dragori, cleansing several effects at least temporarily.

Ooc: Holy water of Titania (chaotic good) and vernal touch
 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Would your joining in our quest and vanquishing the evil festering here regain your honor?" Akos asks the druid.
"I would be glad to help you," the dragori replies. "But it would not matter to my people unless this evil also threatens to consume the empire. Anything that would save the Dragori Emperor would have to be seen by one of the Royal Bloodline. I don't know if there is such Kindred at the Dragori Embassy, but we could find out. They won't acknowledge me, but a request from The Five might sway them."

Neurotic said:
And turning to Custodio, in Ticin
"Cast the protection, please. It is more important to be thorough than it is to lose one spell."
Custodio shakes his head. "I know you're speaking Ticin, but I never learned it. My instructors were more concerned about my ability to wield a blade and cast healing spells."

Neurotic said:
Returning his attention to dragori, Akos offers small vial. "This may be unpleasant to one used to rigid discipline, but shouldn't hurt. Unless there is evil hidden within. Depending on the curse particulars, you may feel a burning back there, but it will not last."

As they touch, silent blast of power passes from the fey cleric into the dragori, cleansing several effects at least temporarily.

Ooc: Holy water of Titania (chaotic good) and vernal touch
Sylemis takes the offered vial and smells the contents. "Pure holy water." He takes a sip and smiles. "Quite refreshing." He downs the contents without a second thought.

As Akos' vernal touch settles over the dragori druid, Sylemis sighs with contentment and then stretches his weary form. "I feel like I've had several nights of blissful sleep. The fatigue is gone, it seems, for now. Let's hope it lasts."

He stands without the need for his staff and does several monk-like maneuvers. "Yes, that has put me in good shape for now. Even if it doesn't last, I thank you. Now I'll be able to tend to the Gardens and its visitors without having to put off their questions about my health."

"I am glad you're feeling better," Huverel says. "And let's hope it lasts longer than the High Sister's last dispelling attempt."

"Yes, it might not last but this is the best I've felt in over a month." He looks at Akos with awe. "You are truly blessed by the Great Mother, Loremaster. I will help you as best I can while you are in the Gardens."

OOC: Akos' Vernal Touch ability removed the exhausted condition from Sylemis. However, it will only last 24 hours. Akos will have to use it on him every day to keep him from becoming fatigued (and then exhausted) again.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"I'm glad that helped," says Tuck, feeling confident that his new companion Akos is a good man and willing to help others.

"Do you have enough to keep him going for a while?"

After thanking the dragori, Tuck suggests they start looking for Lady Emilienne.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I'm glad that helped," says Tuck, feeling confident that his new companion Akos is a good man and willing to help others.

"Do you have enough to keep him going for a while?"
Akos repeats the instruction about the protection to Custodio while the old monk jumps around.
Custodio nods and casts his spell on the dragori druid after Akos' examination. "While it won't last long," Custodio says to Sylemis. "If there is some evil force nearby affecting you, the spell might help keep it at bay."

"I thank you for your aid," the dragori replies.

OOC: Protection from evil: duration is 4 minutes.

JustinCase said:
After thanking the dragori, Tuck suggests they start looking for Lady Emilienne.
"Yes, you do not need to worry about me, for now," the dragori adds. "I am good to make my rounds in the Gardens and inspect the trees and greet today's visitors. Tomorrow morning, I should be able to prepare a spell that will allow me to speak with the plants of the Gardens. They may know something that others have missed."

He hugs both Tuck and Akos and pats Mutt on the head one more time before heading off to perform the duties he has been unable to while sick. He turns and waves one more time before heading towards the Western Gardens.

"I will lead you to Lady Émilienne," Huverel offers.

"While I'm sure I could find it, feel free to lead the way," Custodio replies.

The young half-elven druid nods and leads your group beyond the Temple of the Ascetics, deeper into the Eastern Gardens. The way is more overgrown than the other parts of the Gardens and even Custodio soon comes to realize that he'd have gotten lost.

"We keep the Eastern Gardens wild, so that we can cultivate rare plants from the Eastern Lands and the Dark Continent. As long as you stick to the paths, you won't encounter anything dangerous."

The path Huverel chose eventually comes to an end near the outer wall of the Gardens where it opens up into a worn walkway that runs along the edge of the wall. As you look back towards the Western Gardens, you can see a tower that divides the two halves of the wall from the two distinct gardens. Towards the end of the Eastern Gardens is a corner tower where the north wall meets the eastern wall of the Gardens.

The walkway is clear to the tower and as you get closer you can see that a Bluffside Regular stands guard near a half-hidden stairway leading down into the tower. While he watches the Eastern Garden with some trepidation, the man orders you to halt once he sees you.

"This are is restricted to Regulars business only," he says abruptly. Then he notes the half-elf druid. "Oh, Huverel, I didn't know it was you. Can I help you with something? Is anything wrong? Who are these, people?"

"Calm yourself, Nathaniel," Huverel says. "These are friends. They helped Sylemis with his sickness and are here to speak to Lady Émilienne."

"She's in the tower. She's still talking to Kaleb." He looks over the group assembled and raises an eyebrow while looking at Big Tim. He notes the half-ogres weapons with what Big Tim surmises is healthy respect. "She asked not to be disturbed unless it's really important."

"It's important," Custodio says. "Tell her my name, Custodio Vecchi. And that Sir Tymbeck Valencia and Master Relgar Aspergim are here as well."

"I- I have heard of y-you, Vecchi de la Élite," the young guard stammers out with his eyes wide. "It is an honor. I will tell her at once." He salutes Custodio and nods his approval to the others before rushing down the steps. He fumbles with the tower's keys. Once he gets the door open, he disappears inside. He remembers to lock the door behind him.

You wait for over ten minutes before he returns. He ushers you into the tower. The reinforced door is large enough that Tim barely needs to duck his head. The circular room is typical for a guard tower being both sparse and functional. Two wooden weapon racks sit along the wall, although neither one is full. There is a reinforced wooden hatch in the floor leading to a cellar, probably storage. A spiral metal staircase sits at the center of the tower and it is quite sturdy and wide enough for Tim to ascend.

Two off-duty guards sit at a small oval table, playing cards. Nathaniel leads you up to the second floor of the tower where Lady Émilienne waits. There are two other guards. A grizzled old veteran dressed in the uniform of the Elite and a boy who looks like he's barely old enough to be in the Regulars.

"Custodio, Tim, Mister Aspergim," she greets them warmly. "It's good to see you again!" She shakes Custodio's hand, gives Tim a big hug, and pats Relgar on the shoulder. "We keep meeting in guard towers."

"At least this one isn't cursed," Custodio muses.

"Don't remind me," she says with a shiver. "I see you've made some new friends. But where is Terger? I assumed he'd be with you."

OOC: Reminder! Big Tim and Relgar met Lady Émilienne in the cursed tower of the ruined Growers' Gate where Phelix had scrawled his maddening arcane writing (with the overwhelming magic aura and twisted planar map). She collapsed under strain of the tower's curse and it was Big Tim who carried her out of the tower to safety.
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Tuck," the little kobold introduces himself to Lady Émilienne and the guards. "And this is my guard dog Mutt. Be careful, he's fierce."

Predictably, Mutt walks up to the lady, tail wagging fiercely, and almost begs to be patted by her. The canine is obviously glad to meet more people who can give him the affection he lives for!

"Sylemis told us you are investigating a strange sighting near one of the Garden's outer towers," Tuck continues, "Which could coincide with our investigation here."

He pauses, and looks at the guards, then back at Lady Émilienne, his eyes asking whether he can continue talking with them around.
 

Envisioner

Explorer
Relgar continues to seem distant, as he usually does; it's impossible to tell whether he's paying attention or utterly lost in thought (or a little of both).
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
Ákos waits patiently for the small talk and to be properly introduced. For once, his mercurial nature holds steady and he awaits his turn serenely.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Before Custodio can introduce any of them, Tuck introduces himself.

"Tuck," the little kobold introduces himself to Lady Émilienne and the guards. "And this is my guard dog Mutt. Be careful, he's fierce."

Predictably, Mutt walks up to the lady, tail wagging fiercely, and almost begs to be patted by her. The canine is obviously glad to meet more people who can give him the affection he lives for!
"Nice... to meet you," Lady Émilienne replies. She gingerly pats the dog once on the head but shows no other affection for the big canine. The lady is either put off by the dog's size or Tuck's warning.

JustinCase said:
"Sylemis told us you are investigating a strange sighting near one of the Garden's outer towers," Tuck continues, "Which could coincide with our investigation here."

He pauses, and looks at the guards, then back at Lady Émilienne, his eyes asking whether he can continue talking with them around.
Lady Émilienne dismisses Nathaniel from the room and heads back down the stairwell to his retake his post. The young guard seems relieved. Perhaps the lady's striking beauty makes him nervous?

"It turns out that strange sighting was more of an incident," she says. "And you can speak freely in front of these two men. Sergeant Raupach has informed me that he and a fellow Tower Elite encountered these 'false' guards late last night. They confronted them and his fellow guard was killed."

"I tried to save Mathias. I swear I did. But there were five of them. We didn't stand a chance. I barely escaped with my life." The young guard hangs his head. You can tell he's been in a fight; his arm is in a sling and there is a deep gash across his face.

"Where did this happen?" Custodio asks insistently.

"It was along the Eastern Pathway. More than halfway between here and the Southeast Garden Tower," the young tower guard replies. "It was very late. Well past the midnight hour. It's like they appeared out of nowhere and then just attacked us. If the noise of the fight hadn't disturbed the Shardgrim, I'd have died too."

Relgar continues to seem distant, as he usually does; it's impossible to tell whether he's paying attention or utterly lost in thought (or a little of both).
Relgar's ears hear the word Shardgrim, which is a bit unnerving. Why did the youngster mention that bogyman? More of what is being said filters into his mind.

"Wait! You saw the Nightshard of Nyx?" Custodio asks with his eyes wide.

Sergeant Raupach continues his tale. "It was very dark. I didn't truly see it. I saw mainly shadow. But I heard it come out of the Eastern Gardens, and it killed two of them and dragged another one into the foliage. For some reason, it didn't attack me. Maybe since the attackers had already forced me to the ground, it might have thought I was dead. I'm shamed to say that I ran back here after it disappeared."

"It's nothing to be ashamed about, Kaleb," the grizzled old guard says. He looks at Big Tim and then Custodio. "When he arrived back here, he collapsed. He was frantic and near death. We fed him a healing potion and let him sleep until dawn. He tried to tell me what happened before he fell unconscious. I lead a patrol down the entire length of the pathway. We found where the fight took place and Mathias's body, as well as one of the dead fakes." He glances at the floor. "Both bodies are in the cellar. Word has been sent to the Caspersen Family, and they will likely have their favored son raised. I sent word to the Lord Commander but I left some of the details vague. I didn't want to cause a panic about the Shardgrim."

"This is Detch Appolyon," Lady Émilienne says. "He is this tower's Arcanus. The Lord Commander sent me to find out what happened. I'm shocked to learn that the Shardgrim might be real."

"The Shardgrim," Custodio whispers. "It cannot be true. That's just a myth."

OOC: Both Knowledge (nature) and Knowledge (local) will give more information about the Shardgrim, aka the Nightshard of Nyx.

Ákos waits patiently for the small talk and to be properly introduced. For once, his mercurial nature holds steady and he awaits his turn serenely.
Custodio shakes his head and motions to both Tuck and Loremaster Ákos. "Since Tuck has already introduced himself, I will introduce you to Loremaster Ákos. He's a stalwart of the Temple District and a devoted follower of the Court of Trees, if I'm remembering correctly."

OOC: Ákos knows that the Court of Trees is a Fey court that exists deep in the Coldwind Forest within the boundaries of the elven kingdom known as Ravensilath. It is made up of mortal half-fey creatures, as well as centaurs, druids, forest gnomes, wood elves, and even a few good-aligned araneas. The ruler of the Court of Trees is a gray elf named Lazziar Zylydark. However, the Court doesn't rule Ravensilath. The mysterious Olven King of Sul Hinue (in the Truffatore Mountains) rules the kingdom.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Big Tim is glad to see Lady Emillienne again, and greets her as warmly as she greeted him.

As Tim listens to Kaleb's story, a frown forms on his face. He is not upset with Kaleb's defeat in battle, but rather, with the idea of this "Shadblow" thing. The idea of a supernatural predator does not sit well with the big warrior. He is silent as he mulls the concept over in his mind.

Big Tim finally says, "If it truly is a thing of the Shadow, we'll need magic to kill it, probably of the priestly kind. But if it is some Troll lurking about causing trouble, that's dealt with easily enough, by force of blade alone. In any case, I will put my life and limb in harm's way, to see such an evil vanquished."
 

Advertisement

Top