Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Big Tim says, "Yes, we should pursue him, though I know him not, nor am I aware of any reason for his ire toward me. The tavern is likely crowded, I doubt he merely passed through it. He is probably in there right now, trying to blend in with the other patrons. Breva, why don't you go through the front entrance, and I will circle around to the back. If he does try to flee the tavern, he will likely do it from the rear entrance. What say you?"

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Custodio moves down the main hall and stops near the main staircase leading up to the second floor. There is a table in the center of the hall that isn't normally placed there. He is hesitant at first, remembering the mimic. He grips his hammer tighter and steps towards the table. There is a pieces of parchment on it rolled up into a scroll and tied with a ribbon.

"Tuck, come look at this," Custodio calls to the kobold. "It looks like someone left us a message."

The Vanquisher cleric casts detect magic and focuses on the scroll on the table. "It's not magical."
"What is it," Tuck whispers, moving next to Custodio to study the note. The kobold hopes it's not a ransom note or something similar.

"We should check if the place is secure before the others arrive," he adds, looking about uneasily. He doesn't want to be caught by an ambush, and his kobold instincts are warning him. Or is that his racial tendency to cowardice?

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
@Tellerian Hawke @Scotley
"No, wait! This may be just a ploy to get you away from the prisoners. It is not our task to catch a kobold, but to get these two to safety!" Loremaster calls as he becomes aware of the situation. He is ever self-absorbed while walking, not really paying attention to the surroundings, but this is big enough disturbance to snap him out of his daydream.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Breva sighs in frustration, "Possibly nothing, just me being cautious. I saw a Kobold acting suspiciously. I thought he looked upon Sir Tim here with malice in his eyes. Unfortunately, he noticed me noticing him before I could sense if he were evil. He was dressed in black silks, hooded and carrying a scimitar. He ducked into yon tavern." He looks to Tim. "You know him? Should we give chase? I suspect he has already moved well away from here."
"Dressed all in black, you say," Captain Breedon says. "It could be one of them. Not a Loyalist, but one of the assassins that has been plaguing the city the last few days."

"The Dusk," Falen whispers quietly.

"Yes, the Lord Commander did tell us these villains," He nods the Falen and moves closer to Breva. "If you go after him, be careful. They are deadly foes. They've killed as many of eight Regulars in the last few days. They seem to be working with the Loyalists."

Big Tim says, "Yes, we should pursue him, though I know him not, nor am I aware of any reason for his ire toward me. The tavern is likely crowded, I doubt he merely passed through it. He is probably in there right now, trying to blend in with the other patrons. Breva, why don't you go through the front entrance, and I will circle around to the back. If he does try to flee the tavern, he will likely do it from the rear entrance. What say you?"
Breva nods, "As you say. Let us make haste." He makes for the tavern at the best speed he can muster in his armor.
"We will keep your 'prisoners' safe, Sir Tymbeck," Captain Breedon offers. "Good luck and be careful."

Breva takes the the lead towards the tavern with Sir Tim right behind him. The two of them are half way to the tavern before anyon else can object to rushing into another fight. Vinccenzo stays close to the prisoners, unwilling to give them a chance to escape.

Falen balks and looks at Loremaster Akos, "This is not a good idea," he says. "It could be a trap."

"No, wait! This may be just a ploy to get you away from the prisoners. It is not our task to catch a kobold, but to get these two to safety!" Loremaster calls as he becomes aware of the situation. He is ever self-absorbed while walking, not really paying attention to the surroundings, but this is big enough disturbance to snap him out of his daydream.
Akos' warning alerts the other people on the street. Eyes turn to watch as Breva and Tim split up. Tim heads down an alley towards the back of the inn while Breva heads into the front of the tavern. It has a picture of a black bird on a sign board that looked like a raven with silver wingtips. The young paladin steps into the business and surveys the patrons. The Silver Raven is quiet busy for it being the earliest part of the day. Most of the patrons are young nobles with a lot of coin and not much else to do during the day. He doesn't see the kobold, but the tavern is so crowded with humans, elves, and dwarves that it wouldn't be hard for one kobold to stay hidden.

"I don't think they heard you, Loremaster," Captain Breedon says. "We will watch these others for you if you want to go after them."

"I can't let them out of my sight," Vinny whispers to Akos so the captain doesn't hear. "Falen can stay with me." He glances at the half-hobgoblin, in his latest disguise, and noted the look on Falen's face. "He doesn't look like he's eager to rush into a fight with The Dusk. See if you can diffuse the situation. We need to get to the manor."

Meanwhile, Tim races around the back of the Silver Raven. The light from the morning sun doesn't reach the alleyway, but there is light coming from an open door in the back of the tavern. It is so crowded in the tavern that the 'festivities' have spilled out into the alley. There are two tables flanking the doorway and as Tim's eyes quickly adjust, he can see each table has a lit candle, which are flickering. The two tables are packed with nobles playing cards, dicing, and drinking heavily. Tim can tell they have probably been drinking most of the night.

The alleyway is filled with flickering shadows. There is no sign of the kobold.

"What is it," Tuck whispers, moving next to Custodio to study the note. The kobold hopes it's not a ransom note or something similar.

"We should check if the place is secure before the others arrive," he adds, looking about uneasily. He doesn't want to be caught by an ambush, and his kobold instincts are warning him. Or is that his racial tendency to cowardice?
"I'm not sure," Custodio replies. "I didn't want to touch it until you made sure it was safe. I don't feel like getting poisoned."

Tuck checks the table for traps and carefully inspects the note left on it. There aren't any traps and his eyes notes the seal on it is the Lord Commander's personal seal. The kobold urban ranger is certain there isn't any poison, but he's still very careful when breaking the seal. He unfurls the parchment and reads the note. It is the Lord Commander's own hand.

It seems that when the Loyalists attacked Tribunal, they also assaulted the manor at the same time. All the staff members got away, thankfully, but the Loyalists ransacked the place and went through all the rooms. They stole items left in the manor by Tuck and the others, including the crystalline flower left in the manor for safekeeping. The portal key is gone, probably destroyed. Three Loyalists were killed trying to get into the magically sealed room of the Lord Commander's long-dead cousin, Lord Ayden. They set off a powerful ward that disintegrated them.

The Lord Commander sent Carter, Lavia, and the rest of the staff to Stormgrove Manor along with any of the Exemplars' personal items still left in the manor. The note also mentions that Oakfirst insisted that Sylemis and the other Tenders of the Garden move to Stormgrove Manor. Gerey and a group of Dark Lanterns are watching over them.

The Lord Commander was willing to let any Regulars or Elites watch over them. He says in the note that he's certain that the corruption in the Regulars runs deep and that caution should be used when dealing with any of them. He's less concerned about the Elites, yet he isn't certain about anyone under his command in Old City. He's considering calling in the Bluffside Mountain Rangers to help but that would leave the countryside exposed.

He also writes in the note that the doppelgangers in Phelix's employ tried to break Mani out of the Tower. They failed and one of them was killed. They attacked the Tower with nearly a dozen doppelgangers and two dozen members of The Dusk. The Loyalists weren't involved. He's also certain that there is a thieves' war brewing on in the streets of Bluffside. The Dusk are in conflict with the gangs out on Sordadon and the clandestine thieves' guild of Bluffside.

Tuck knows that thieves' guild of Bluffside is known as the Umbra Incognito; the name is considered an open secret on the streets. Its leader is a complete mystery, however.)

The note ends: "I suggest you head for Stormgrove Manor to plan your next move. I am working on find another Zunsum for you to use to enter the portal... if you come back. I pray that you do... the city is at a tipping point. If you must look for me, head for the Palace or the main barracks in the Military District. You will find me at the Palace only during high sun. I have secretly moved The Five to the Military District to try to keep them out of Phelix's hands. I cannot risk anymore of their lives. If you come to the barracks, make sure Custodio is with you. The guards at the gate will not let any of your through without him. Him, I know you can trust.

"I don't understand what is happening at the Gate of Scales, and the Wizard Council hasn't been helpful at all. I'm beginning to worry that some of them are in league with Phelix — willingly or unwillingly. During the attacks, it came to my attention that a number of arcanists opened and went through the portal into the renegade's enclave. I don't know how many went through or what their goal was... perhaps the council wasn't willing to wait anymore and sent its own attack force against Phelix. The report did say that several Regulars went with them... that is troubling. I suggest you burn this message after reading it.

"Make haste!"

"What does it say?" Custodio asks.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos nods at Vincenzo adding equally silently "We don't know Falen well, be careful."

He hurries then after the paladin entering on the heels of the warrior and leaning in, intentinally being crass to shock the paladin out of his hunt.
"Is this how you do your duty, paladin? Leaving the prisoners for the assassins? Haring off into the ambush yourself?"
Relaxing back from the armored bulk he knocks on the armor.
"This will halt the blade, but you know you're not invulnerable in this. Let's head back."

Just in case, he holds the wand between his fingers and hidden in the sleeve along the arm.
"Please, sir Breva, this is not safe for any of us even if we didn't have to protect the nobles."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"I'm not sure," Custodio replies. "I didn't want to touch it until you made sure it was safe. I don't feel like getting poisoned."

Tuck checks the table for traps and carefully inspects the note left on it. There aren't any traps and his eyes notes the seal on it is the Lord Commander's personal seal. The kobold urban ranger is certain there isn't any poison, but he's still very careful when breaking the seal. He unfurls the parchment and reads the note. It is the Lord Commander's own hand.

It seems that when the Loyalists attacked Tribunal, they also assaulted the manor at the same time. All the staff members got away, thankfully, but the Loyalists ransacked the place and went through all the rooms. They stole items left in the manor by Tuck and the others, including the crystalline flower left in the manor for safekeeping. The portal key is gone, probably destroyed. Three Loyalists were killed trying to get into the magically sealed room of the Lord Commander's long-dead cousin, Lord Ayden. They set off a powerful ward that disintegrated them.

The Lord Commander sent Carter, Livia, and the rest of the staff to Stormgrove Manor along with any of the Exemplars' personal items still left in the manor. The note also mentions that Oakfirst insisted that Sylemis and the other Tenders of the Garden move to Stormgrove Manor. Gerey and a group of Dark Lanterns are watching over them.

The Lord Commander was willing to let any Regulars or Elites watch over them. He says in the note that he's certain that the corruption in the Regulars runs deep and that caution should be used when dealing with any of them. He's less concerned about the Elites, yet he isn't certain about anyone under his command in Old City. He's considering calling in the Bluffside Mountain Rangers to help but that would leave the countryside exposed.

He also writes in the note that the doppelgangers in Phelix's employ tried to break Mani out of the Tower. They failed and one of them was killed. They attacked the Tower with nearly a dozen doppelgangers and two dozen members of The Dusk. The Loyalists weren't involved. He's also certain that there is a thieves' war brewing on in the streets of Bluffside. The Dusk are in conflict with the gangs out on Sordadon and the clandestine thieves' guild of Bluffside.

Tuck knows that thieves' guild of Bluffside is known as the Umbra Incognito; the name is considered an open secret on the streets. Its leader is a complete mystery, however.)
The note ends: "I suggest you head for Stormgrove Manor to plan your next move. I am working on find another Zunsum for you to use to enter the portal... if you come back. I pray that you do... the city is at a tipping point. If you must look for me, head for the Palace or the main barracks in the Military District. You will find me at the Palace only during high sun. I have secretly moved The Five to the Military District to try to keep them out of Phelix's hands. I cannot risk anymore of their lives. If you come to the barracks, make sure Custodio is with you. The guards at the gate will not let any of your through without him. Him, I know you can trust.

"I don't understand what is happening at the Gate of Scales, and the Wizard Council hasn't been helpful at all. I'm beginning to worry that some of them are in league with Phelix — willingly or unwillingly. During the attacks, it came to my attention that a number of arcanists opened and went through the portal into the renegade's enclave. I don't know how many went through or what their goal was... perhaps the council wasn't willing to wait anymore and sent its own attack force against Phelix. The report did say that several Regulars went with them... that is troubling. I suggest you burn this message after reading it.

"Make haste!"

"What does it say?" Custodio asks.
"No no no no," Tuck drones as he reads the disturbing message. He briefly summarizes it to Custodio, then hands the note over.

"This is worse than I thought. There are spies everywhere in the city, and I hope that Stormgrove Manor is still safe. This place was ransacked, however, and I'm not sure if it's safe to keep those prisoners here. What do you think?"

After Custodio is done reading, Tuck takes the note and looks for a way to burn it quickly; failing that, he will take it with him to the others.

"We must warn them," he says, already out the door and back to his companions.

Scotley

Hero
Breva looks properly chivied by Akos' words, but he has the bit in his teeth now and he can't let it go just yet. "But a moment good Loremaster. I cannot abandon Sir Tym at the back door. We should wait just a moment for him to come in before we depart. Or for the sounds of trouble outside." As he speaks of leaving he also calls upon the divine gift of his order for detecting evil to see if he can sense the presence of a particularly strong evil in the crowd. If the Kobold does not show up to his power then he is not a threat worth further chasing at the moment.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Akos nods at Vincenzo adding equally silently "We don't know Falen well, be careful."
Vinccenzo nods to the Loremaster. He keeps one eye on the prisoners and one eye on Falen. The seer seems to be willing to blend into the background and keep watch. The guards gathered at the Quill Gate also keep an eye out for trouble while helping Vinny keep the prisoners out of the way of the crowds passing through the gateway into the Trench and down through the Narrow.

If there is anyone else purposely watching them, the Loremaster can't tell now that all eyes on them and the guards. A few people look around with a bit of worry and a few residents retreat to their homes.

Neurotic said:
He hurries then after the paladin entering on the heels of the warrior and leaning in, intentionally being crass to shock the paladin out of his hunt.
"Is this how you do your duty, paladin? Leaving the prisoners for the assassins? Haring off into the ambush yourself?"
Akos finds the Silver Raven very full of patrons. There is a lot of drinking going on for early in the day. The Loremster's growing reputation proceeds him into the tavern and several patrons greet him warmly. The patrons hadn't noticed Breva right away even though he stands out in his armor. Several young nobles offer to buy them both a drink. Others thank the gods they are alive and that the magical effect of the Gate of Scales didn't swallow them up.

"I heard the Renegade trapped you all in someplace called Sigil," a young noble waif says to Akos. "It is good that you managed to escape and return here. The Loyalists seem to be everywhere and the Regulars are beyond their breaking point." The Loremaster can tell the woman has had a few drinks but isn't drunk, just a bit tipsy.

Akos senses that she and many of the other patrons are worn out from all the chaos happening in Bluffside. She looks listless. Akos and Breva's sudden arrival sends a wave of hope through the crowd but also a bit of concern. It is quickly becoming well known that where the Exemplars tread, danger may be lurking. The joy of your arrival isn't shared by the tavern owner behind the bar. He looks worried as he starts stowing expensive bottles of liquor under the bar.

"I hope you only here to drink, good sirs," he says to you. "I don't want to have to buy new furniture."

Neurotic said:
Relaxing back from the armored bulk he knocks on the armor.
"This will halt the blade, but you know you're not invulnerable in this. Let's head back."

Just in case, he holds the wand between his fingers and hidden in the sleeve along the arm.
"Please, sir Breva, this is not safe for any of us even if we didn't have to protect the nobles."
Breva looks properly chivied by Akos' words, but he has the bit in his teeth now and he can't let it go just yet. "But a moment good Loremaster. I cannot abandon Sir Tym at the back door. We should wait just a moment for him to come in before we depart. Or for the sounds of trouble outside." As he speaks of leaving he also calls upon the divine gift of his order for detecting evil to see if he can sense the presence of a particularly strong evil in the crowd. If the Kobold does not show up to his power then he is not a threat worth further chasing at the moment.
Breva doesn't sense a strong aura of evil on any of the patrons, but there are a few faint auras on some of the more disreputable looking patrons in the Silver Raven. The young paladin doesn't feel particularly threatened by these individuals, however. One table is filled with a group of traders who look oily; each man at the table has a very faint aura of evil. They barely glance in your direction and seem content to drink their troubles away.

Breva senses no lingering auras left by the kobold. The patrons are mixture of different peoples, so a kobold wouldn't be completely out of place. Still, most of the patrons are human or halfling.

For @Tellerian Hawke:
At the back of the tavern, Sir Tim searches up and down the alleyway, but if the kobold is hiding somewhere, Tim will need either Tuck's skills or magic to locate the reptilian foe. The alleyway opens up onto another street, so the kobold is likely gone. Tim backtracked to the back door of the tavern and tries to squeeze through the doorway. It is a very tight fit and there are too many patrons in the way.

A sodden, middle-aged noblewoman stumbles right into Tim. She looks like she can barely stand. At first, she is annoyed by him being in her way, but then she gets a look at the size of the half-ogre knight. "Ooh, you are a very tall fellow, aren't you." She buries her nose into Tim's clothes. "Musky too." She hiccups and then stumbles back into the tavern while giggling.

"No no no no," Tuck drones as he reads the disturbing message. He briefly summarizes it to Custodio, then hands the note over.

"This is worse than I thought. There are spies everywhere in the city, and I hope that Stormgrove Manor is still safe. This place was ransacked, however, and I'm not sure if it's safe to keep those prisoners here. What do you think?"

After Custodio is done reading, Tuck takes the note and looks for a way to burn it quickly; failing that, he will take it with him to the others.

"We must warn them," he says, already out the door and back to his companions.
Custodio reads the note. He tries to find a place to sit down. When that fails, he leans against the wall.

"Those bastards are going to pay for this!" Custodio snaps. "The gall of them!"

He reads the note again and shakes his head. "It doesn't surprise me that Waldo sent the doppelgangers after Mani. Or maybe it was the gnome who sent them." He sighs. "You're right, we can't rely on this place anymore. Maybe we can come back and secure it later. Hopefully, the Renegade's lackey's haven't attacked Stormgrove too."

Custodio hands the note back to Tuck and then offers the lit torch to burn the note, but then he hesitates. "Hmm, maybe we should take this note to the others and let them read it as well. I know the Lord Commander wants us to destroy it, but he didn't know it would only be the two of us here and now."

He sighs again and hands the torch to Tuck. "I'll leave it up to you. If you have it memorized, we'll burn it now and summarize it for them. Hopefully there isn't some hidden meaning or message."

Custodio follows Tuck and Mutt out of the old manor house and locks it behind him. He stows his key and the two of them head back the way they came with even more haste. Hopefully the Elites stationed at the gates leading into the Trench are trustworthy. Custodio watches Tuck's back while keeping an eye out for trouble.

Last edited:

Remove ads