Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Scotley

Hero
Breva smiles widely and turns down the offers of drinks with good humor. He speaks to the owner. "Be at ease good tavernkeeper. Chasing renegades is tireless work, but even the most dedicated of us need a break now and then. In fact we just stopped in as this was a convenient meeting spot close on to yon gate as it is. Good Sir Tym should be joining us shortly and we'll be on our way." He keeps his eyes open to see if the name provokes a reaction from anyone.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos nods at greetings and comments smiling warmly at the people.
"That's the way, good people, drinking in good company to enjoy the evening and NOT overindulging to turn it into something vulgar. Life is meant to be lived joyously. Worry not, good innkeeper, we're going off soon. But I hope we can come and enjoy your offerings at some better time?"
At the comment about Sigil, loremaster focuses on the speaker observing keenly the reaction such focus brings and the reactions on the speech.
"What an unusual rumor there! We are hard to hold. It is true we were engaged in the battle for The Gate of Scales, magical and otherwise. But beyond it being time consuming we overcame the magic affecting the area and as you can see, we're safe and sound. For the moment. Can you remember where and from whom you heard that specific thing? Sigil isn't on everyone's lips."
Sense Motive (Sigil commenter): 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25

"Anyhow, we're just about to go...here is Sir Tymback so we'll be off. Good day to you all!"
OOC: This last part assumes everything is alright with the speaker and Akos doesn't suspect him of being a doppelganger, kobold or some other sh:censored:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Drunk Noblewoman said:
"...She buries her nose into Tim's clothes. "Musky too." She hiccups and then stumbles back into the tavern while giggling."

A thought suddenly occurs to Tim. His instincts are telling him it's probably nothing, that he's probably over-reacting. But his brain is abuzz with this sudden epiphany, and he cannot get it out of his mind.

~No one can disappear that quickly, unless... DOPPELGÄNGERS. The woman!~

Tim tries not to act excited, and tries to move with a calm, measured pace. He follows the woman into the tavern. He does not intend to let another shape-changing fiend escape.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck shrugs, then takes the note and takes it with him as he and Custodio return to the others.

Well, those who are still left at the gate.

"Where are Akos, Tim and Breva?"

The kobold looks around, but then decides to go ahead and fill in Falen and Vinccenzo.

"The manor is compromised," he states simply, not producing the note yet until the others are back. "I think I know another place we can go, but I think it's best to make it a group decision before moving the prisoners across town for nothing."

Again he looks around. "What's keeping them?"

OOC: Oh, the paranoia that the implied presence of spies and doppelgangers cause among our PCs... :) Love it!

Neurotic

Tuck shrugs, then takes the note and takes it with him as he and Custodio return to the others.

The kobold looks around, but then decides to go ahead and fill in Falen and Vinccenzo.

"The manor is compromised," he states simply, not producing the note yet until the others are back. "I think I know another place we can go, but I think it's best to make it a group decision before moving the prisoners across town for nothing."

OOC: Oh, the paranoia that the implied presence of spies and doppelgangers cause among our PCs... :) Love it!
OOC: And Tim was out of sight for some time...although, he is large so probably safe...but Breva...suspicious character in its own right...unnatural abomination without fear :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Breva smiles widely and turns down the offers of drinks with good humor. He speaks to the owner. "Be at ease good tavernkeeper. Chasing renegades is tireless work, but even the most dedicated of us need a break now and then. In fact we just stopped in as this was a convenient meeting spot close on to yon gate as it is. Good Sir Tym should be joining us shortly and we'll be on our way." He keeps his eyes open to see if the name provokes a reaction from anyone.
Akos nods at greetings and comments smiling warmly at the people.
"That's the way, good people, drinking in good company to enjoy the evening and NOT overindulging to turn it into something vulgar. Life is meant to be lived joyously. Worry not, good innkeeper, we're going off soon. But I hope we can come and enjoy your offerings at some better time?"
The tavern owner relaxes with Breva and Akos' reassurances. "Well, that's a relief. You did seem to be looking for danger when you came in... a risk of your trade. I would be glad to serve Bluffside's newest heroes. Feel free to come back in the evening... just not too late. With the damn Loyalists on the loose, no one is staying open late. Those rogues are bad for business." He sighs. "The Raven is meant to be open at all hours, but I was forced to close before dusk last night."

The man put his spirits back in place and waves over Breva. "The Regulars seem to be outnumbered by them almost every night. When the sun goes down, Old City has become an even more dangerous place to be at night than when the Old City Killer was on the loose. Last night I watched a fight on the streets between the Regulars and Loyalists. There were strange men cloaked in black helping the Loyalists, but the Regulars had unexpected help as well. Strange shapes rose out of the darkness to take the fight to the Loyalists. It was a bloody mess." He pauses. "I can't tell you any more than that, unfortunately, I was in my apartment upstairs and didn't want to attract any attention."

Neurotic said:
At the comment about Sigil, loremaster focuses on the speaker observing keenly the reaction such focus brings and the reactions on the speech.
"What an unusual rumor there! We are hard to hold. It is true we were engaged in the battle for The Gate of Scales, magical and otherwise. But beyond it being time consuming we overcame the magic affecting the area and as you can see, we're safe and sound. For the moment. Can you remember where and from whom you heard that specific thing? Sigil isn't on everyone's lips."
Sense Motive (Sigil commenter): 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25
"Hmm, I think I heard it from one of the local food hawkers selling fruit near Moons' Arch. I don't know his name. I heard it yesterday, yes, it was in the late afternoon, I think. I was hurrying to get home before the sun went down. There were dozens gathered around the man listening to him speak. He said you were all in great peril in a strange land across many seas... that the Renegade magicked you all away to a distant city where he imprisoned you in a massive dungeon called Bergunter Masse under the Sigil city." She pauses to sit down at a small table with a group of young nobles. "That's all I heard. I didn't want to be out after dark. It sounded very dangerous."

"I know who that is," the tavern owner says. "Marko Behrend. He likes to spin yarns to help sell his goods."

OOC: Akos doesn't sense any dishonestly from the young waif.

A thought suddenly occurs to Tim. His instincts are telling him it's probably nothing, that he's probably over-reacting. But his brain is abuzz with this sudden epiphany, and he cannot get it out of his mind.

~No one can disappear that quickly, unless... DOPPELGÄNGERS. The woman!~

Tim tries not to act excited, and tries to move with a calm, measured pace. He follows the woman into the tavern. He does not intend to let another shape-changing fiend escape.
Tim finds his way through the narrow hall leading from the tavern's back door to the common room. The woman stumbles through to the bar and asks to be served. "Nathanyell, my good man," she blurts out. "Another bottle of your finest."

The tavern owner sighs. "Lady Gale, you need to go home and get some rest. I will not have your husband looking for my head."

The woman scowls at him. She sniffs the air disdainfully and waggles a finger at him. She looks like she's about to say something when she 'senses' Tim's presence. She turns at beams a sharp smile at the knight. "Ooh, do you fancy some company, large one? Maybe you can convince this oaf to sell me a bottle of Flusis Edes."

Nathanyell looks at Tim and shakes his head 'no'. The look is more of a warning to Tim about the woman's advances than her desire for more wine.

Captain Breedon points towards the Silver Raven. "Your friends are in there, Mister Tuck," he says. "They saw another one of your people watching them. The watcher ducked into the tavern after the young knight spotted him. I didn't see the kobold, but Sir Breva was sure the watcher had his eyes on Sir Tim and it was a look of malice."

Tuck can see that the crowd outside the old tavern is growing. There are a dozen onlookers watching Tuck and the others near the gate, as well as several others poking there heads inside the tavern's front door and open windows. Tuck knows the place. It's not the nicest tavern in Old City, but Nathanyell Lyrypine does a brisk business. Nobles from lesser houses often drink at the Silver Raven, but it is just as popular with shopkeepers, traders, and even foreigners. All are welcome, as long as they can pay.

Tuck knows that the Raven rarely closes, although he hasn't spent much time in the place. The spirits are cheap, and the patrons usually drink until they can't stand any more.

Custodio heads to the Raven and orders the gawkers to go back to their business. "There is nothing to see here."

The crowd thins out a bit but some of the onlookers ignore the Elite. The people are fascinated by the Exemplars sudden reappearance in Old City. Soon Custodio is fending off questions about the Gate of Scales, Phelix & his Loyalists, and where the 'heroes' have been.

"There will be a notice posted at the barracks soon," he says. "Give us the day."

"Half the district could be dead in a day!" An old nobleman cries out. "What kind of heroes abandon the people when their is a madman on the loose!"

"It's not that simple!" Custodio counters. "We were lead into a trap by the Renegade." Custodio looks through the tavern's door at Akos. His look is pleading.

The thinning crowd resurges towards him.

Neurotic said:
"Anyhow, we're just about to go...here is Sir Tymback so we'll be off. Good day to you all!"
OOC: This last part assumes everything is alright with the speaker and Akos doesn't suspect him of being a doppelganger, kobold or some other sh:censored:
"It was good to finally meet you," Nathanyell replies. "Come back later in the evening and I'll break out the really good stuff."

Un uproar begins to rise on the street outside the tavern. A crowd has gathered around the entrance to the Silver Raven. Custodio is there trying to field questions from the people. Many of them are unhappy that the Exemplars were absent during the attacks by the Loyalists. Others try to shout them down.

"You don't know what they've been dealing with!"

"They should tell us!"

"Yes, tell us now!"

Several of the Raven's patrons head out the back. Their drinking is done for the morning... at least at the Raven. Nathanyell starts to look concerned again. He glances at Akos.

"You better get out there and tell them something."

JustinCase said:

Falen stays in the shadows while Vinny keeps his eyes on the prisoners. Both Lady Arnona and young Silagord look nervously at the growing crowd.

Tuck is forced to choose between producing the note for Vinny to read or heading into the throng to back up Custodio. The young Vanquisher cleric seems to be out of his depth. The crowd soon has the Elite's back up against the wall.

Several of the gate guards move into help, but the captain stays with Vinny and the prisoners. He turns to the Sectarian. "You all really do draw a lot of attention, don't you?"

Soon the street is boiling.

JustinCase said:
OOC: :sneaky:

The PCs are now in a situation that needs diffusing. The people are angry, frustrated, tired, and worried. Consider the crowd outside to be Unfriendly (Hostile to Custodio) while the crowd inside the Silver Raven is Indifferent (Unfriendly to Custodio).

For Diplomacy checks, don't forget to add your reputation modifiers to the rolls. If you can't remember your modifier, I'll go back and try to find the numbers in the OOC thread.

Neurotic

The man put his spirits back in place and waves over Breva. "The Regulars seem to be outnumbered by them almost every night. When the sun goes down, Old City has become an even more dangerous place to be at night than when the Old City Killer was on the loose.
"Luckily, we apprehended that one." interjects Akos sotto voce

Last night I watched a fight on the streets between the Regulars and Loyalists. There were strange men cloaked in black helping the Loyalists, but the Regulars had unexpected help as well. Strange shapes rose out of the darkness to take the fight to the Loyalists. It was a bloody mess." He pauses. "I can't tell you any more than that, unfortunately, I was in my apartment upstairs and didn't want to attract any attention."

Akos nods "We will look into it, probably The Five know what is going on."

"Hmm, I think I heard it from one of the local food hawkers selling fruit near Moons' Arch. I don't know his name. I heard it yesterday, yes, it was in the late afternoon, I think. I was hurrying to get home before the sun went down. There were dozens gathered around the man listening to him speak. He said you were all in great peril in a strange land across many seas... that the Renegade magicked you all away to a distant city where he imprisoned you in a massive dungeon called Bergunter Masse under the Sigil city." She pauses to sit down at a small table with a group of young nobles. "That's all I heard. I didn't want to be out after dark. It sounded very dangerous."

"I know who that is," the tavern owner says. "Marko Behrend. He likes to spin yarns to help sell his goods."
Akos nods, committing the details to memory.

"There will be a notice posted at the barracks soon," he says. "Give us the day."

"Half the district could be dead in a day!" An old nobleman cries out. "What kind of heroes abandon the people when their is a madman on the loose!"

"It's not that simple!" Custodio counters. "We were lead into a trap by the Renegade." Custodio looks through the tavern's door at Akos. His look is pleading.

The thinning crowd resurges towards him.

"It was good to finally meet you," Nathanyell replies. "Come back later in the evening and I'll break out the really good stuff."

Un uproar begins to rise on the street outside the tavern. A crowd has gathered around the entrance to the Silver Raven. Custodio is there trying to field questions from the people. Many of them are unhappy that the Exemplars were absent during the attacks by the Loyalists. Others try to shout them down.

"You don't know what they've been dealing with!"

"They should tell us!"

"Yes, tell us now!"

Several of the Raven's patrons head out the back. Their drinking is done for the morning... at least at the Raven. Nathanyell starts to look concerned again. He glances at Akos.

"You better get out there and tell them something."
OOC:
Use charm domain to gain +4 CHA for the next minute - if diplomacy takes longer than that remove +2 from the roll (Akos would know and wouldn't use it, sorry, I, the player, don't)

Intimidate if needed: 1D20+22+2 = [14]+22+2 = 38 - use only if needed to make people step back from Custodio, not his intention to cower people into submission (I think I can choose not to use the imperious command?) - we don't want deaths caused by fear :p

Diplomacy: 1D20+24+2 = [5]+24+2 = 31 - even with reputation, it is not enough to turn them helpful, but enough to diffuse I think

Akos turns away from the tavern taking a deep breath. Calling upon his connection to the seducing, emotional fey, his air of mystery deepens as he steps outside taking at a glance the mood and the crowd tightening around Custodio and frowns.

"People of Bluffside! Is this how we treat our finest! Step back! Show some respect!" Akos raises his voice, this time not trying to be too nice. Sure, the people need assurances. But no one can just assume they can attack members of the group without consequences.

"This man confronted human traitors, an abomination from beyond the stars, a knight from out of time and actual literal demon in course of closing the anomaly at the Gate of Scales. Yes, we were lured there by the Renegade, but the lure was your safety - and we won! So, please, have some patience with us. We cannot be everywhere. And you will forgive us if we treat demons as a higher priority than some glorified street thugs. Regulars are stretched to the limits. Elites are stretched to the limits. Sectarian guards are stretched to the limits. You, all of you, could help. Report to the barracks as militia. Get watch horns and learn the signals. If something happens near your house, call it in, don't cower behind the walls. There are people working multiple shifts until they can barely stand. People who confront horrors from beyond the world. The Five trying to keep the threat to you to a minimum while at the same time dealing with the highly magical threat. You think because you see spillovers from all that there is nothing being done?! Well, think again! Look at this man..." Akos motions to Custodio "...would you like him to pull his weapon out? Who would like to stand against the man who cut the demon down?" He looks down and makes a dramatic pause in his speech as his armor rolls out from under his hood. "I am not the brawn of this group, would you like to stand against me? Here sir..." his armor retracts again and he offers his silver dagger to the man closest or the most agitated near Custodio "...I want you to stab me with this knife. Don't worry, no tricks, you can check the weapon is real on your own hand if you want. Stab me." Akos opens his robe.
He waits with his hand offering his silver dagger. After a suitable pause, he moves into the crowd offering the dagger here and there, not accidentally pulling the attention of the crowd from Custodio and (hopefully) Breva and Tim looming behind them.
"Now then. Can we please agree that taking in Old City Killer, investigating Renegade's distractions and attacks on The Five are full-time jobs? And that you have your own jobs? And families you want safe? Yes?" he nods at people causing several of them to reflexively nod in return
"That is so. What are you then in all that is holy doing here instead of with them? We confronted Loyalists several times this week, we were attacked while separated and as a group. And we prevailed. Have faith, we and The Five, all the guards together, real heroes them! work at the problem. Distraction in the form of panic is not helpful. Keep your wits about you. Do what you can to be safe, prevent others from not being safe, warn your neighbors if they stay at the inn too long. Help each other if there is trouble nearby. Call the guards when you can. And now, please, let us work. You will hear the whole story soon, I promise. Right now, we are on our way to report that Gate of Scales is safe again and give new info to The Five. Keep calm and for Titanias sake, stay calm. Bluffside survived worse."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Nathanyell said:
"...
The tavern owner sighs. "Lady Gale, you need to go home and get some rest. I will not have your husband looking for my head." [...] Nathanyell looks at Tim and shakes his head 'no'. The look is more of a warning to Tim about the woman's advances than her desire for more wine.

Tim scowls at Lady Gale with disapproval, but without any real menace, "I will not dishonor the vows of matrimony between you and your husband, good Lady. The reason I took a second look at you is because I thought you looked familiar. But I was clearly mistaken, because the surname Gale does not ring a bell. I am sorry to have troubled you."

Tim muses to himself, in his innermost thoughts, ~Hmmm. Note to self: inquire as to where Lady Gale lives, and what her habits are. Let Commander Oakfirst know of my suspicions. If her habits have changed, and/or worsened, it's likely the Doppelgänger has killed her, and assumed her identity.~

Tim then moves to stand beside Akos as he speaks. He says nothing, and he doesn't get too close. But he is close enough for people to notice his presence; he doesn't look directly at the crowd. Instead, he watches Akos in admiration, listening intently, modeling a calm behavior that hopefully the crowd will notice and emulate.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Luckily, we apprehended that one." interjects Akos sotto voce
"Yes, we are all grateful for your skills in capturing that thing," Nathanyell says as he glances out the door. "Even if some stubbornly want perfection, it seems."

Neurotic said:
Akos nods "We will look into it, probably The Five know what is going on."
"I hope so," he replies. "I heard that Lady Pomander is recovering in her home and that Lord Wellington was taken to the temple district to recover from the wounds inflicted on him by the Loyalists." He pauses. "It still hard to believe that those bastards continue to run loose in the city."

Tim scowls at Lady Gale with disapproval, but without any real menace, "I will not dishonor the vows of matrimony between you and your husband, good Lady. The reason I took a second look at you is because I thought you looked familiar. But I was clearly mistaken, because the surname Gale does not ring a bell. I am sorry to have troubled you."

Tim muses to himself, in his innermost thoughts, ~Hmmm. Note to self: inquire as to where Lady Gale lives, and what her habits are. Let Commander Oakfirst know of my suspicions. If her habits have changed, and/or worsened, it's likely the Doppelgänger has killed her, and assumed her identity.~
Lady Gale tips her head disapprovingly. She pouts her lips and glares at Tim. She saunters away towards the back of the Silver Raven and plops herself down at a table filled with young nobles. They let her sit but don't let her drink.

"That woman needs help," Nathanyell says. "I'd do more for her, but she's stubborn as a mule... especially sober."

Neurotic said:
OOC:
Use charm domain to gain +4 CHA for the next minute - if diplomacy takes longer than that remove +2 from the roll (Akos would know and wouldn't use it, sorry, I, the player, don't)

Intimidate if needed: 1D20+22+2 = [14]+22+2 = 38 - use only if needed to make people step back from Custodio, not his intention to cower people into submission (I think I can choose not to use the imperious command?) - we don't want deaths caused by fear :p

Diplomacy: 1D20+24+2 = [5]+24+2 = 31 - even with reputation, it is not enough to turn them helpful, but enough to diffuse I think
OOC: Diplomacy usually takes a full minute, so I'd say adding the +4 to Charisma is fine. I didn't look up the reputation modifier, but it is probably +2 (so, a total of 33). That is good enough to make the crowd outside the tavern to become friendly towards the PCs and indifferent towards Custodio. The patrons in the tavern become helpful towards the PCs and friendly towards Custodio.

Neurotic said:
Akos turns away from the tavern taking a deep breath. Calling upon his connection to the seducing, emotional fey, his air of mystery deepens as he steps outside taking at a glance the mood and the crowd tightening around Custodio and frowns.

"People of Bluffside! Is this how we treat our finest! Step back! Show some respect!" Akos raises his voice, this time not trying to be too nice. Sure, the people need assurances. But no one can just assume they can attack members of the group without consequences.
Many in the crowd are shocked to silence by the Loremaster's harsh words. The elderly nobleman glares at Akos. The man looks exhausted and sad.

Neurotic said:
"This man confronted human traitors, an abomination from beyond the stars, a knight from out of time and actual literal demon in course of closing the anomaly at the Gate of Scales. Yes, we were lured there by the Renegade, but the lure was your safety - and we won! So, please, have some patience with us. We cannot be everywhere. And you will forgive us if we treat demons as a higher priority than some glorified street thugs. Regulars are stretched to the limits. Elites are stretched to the limits. Sectarian guards are stretched to the limits. You, all of you, could help. Report to the barracks as militia. Get watch horns and learn the signals. If something happens near your house, call it in, don't cower behind the walls. There are people working multiple shifts until they can barely stand. People who confront horrors from beyond the world. The Five trying to keep the threat to you to a minimum while at the same time dealing with the highly magical threat. You think because you see spillovers from all that there is nothing being done?! Well, think again! Look at this man..." Akos motions to Custodio "...would you like him to pull his weapon out? Who would like to stand against the man who cut the demon down?" He looks down and makes a dramatic pause in his speech as his armor rolls out from under his hood. "I am not the brawn of this group, would you like to stand against me? Here sir..." his armor retracts again and he offers his silver dagger to the man closest or the most agitated near Custodio "...I want you to stab me with this knife. Don't worry, no tricks, you can check the weapon is real on your own hand if you want. Stab me." Akos opens his robe.
He waits with his hand offering his silver dagger. After a suitable pause, he moves into the crowd offering the dagger here and there, not accidentally pulling the attention of the crowd from Custodio and (hopefully) Breva and Tim looming behind them.
The crowd is transfixed by the Loremaster's words. The first that Akos offers the silver dagger to is the old nobleman. He looks at Akos in surprise and his hand shakes as he raises it to reach out towards the Loremaster. He comes close to taking the blade and many in the crowd step back.

"That is not a good idea," Custodio whispers to Akos, but the man pulls his hand away and begins sobbing. "Or maybe I'm wrong."

As Akos offers the blade through the crowd, the old man falls to his knees and calls out to the Loremaster. "I cannot take any more loss!" the man weeps. "My sons are dead! My wife has fled the city! There is nothing for me now! Take your blade and kill me, please!"

"I know your face," Custodio says. "You are Lord Mikkel Caspersen." The guard moves to the man and puts a hand on the man's shoulder. "I am very sorry about Mathias."

"His soul... he refused to come back to me," the man says as he sobs. He pushes away Custodio's hand. "I blame you! I blame the Regulars! He should have been trained better!"

Custodio steps back from the man and glances towards Akos, his face downtrodden.

Lord Caspersen looks back at Akos. "Please end my suffering."

Several in the crowd shake their heads. They all look tired and broken. There are tears but others go to pick the man up off the street. Those that were threatening Custodio back away from him. Several of the patrons in the Raven come out onto the street and give the Vanquisher cleric assurances that they have his back.

OOC: Mathias Caspersen was the young guard who was killed in the Gardens by the Loyalists. It was he and young Kaleb Raupach who were ambushed while on patrol. Kalab was the one who was "saved" by the troll-like plant creature in the Gardens.

Tellerian Hawke said:
Tim then moves to stand beside Akos as he speaks. He says nothing, and he doesn't get too close. But he is close enough for people to notice his presence; he doesn't look directly at the crowd. Instead, he watches Akos in admiration, listening intently, modeling a calm behavior that hopefully the crowd will notice and emulate.
Tim watches as the crowd's anger melts away, although there are still some eyes on Custodio. But once Tim makes his presence felt, those eyes turn away.

Neurotic said:
"Now then. Can we please agree that taking in Old City Killer, investigating Renegade's distractions and attacks on The Five are full-time jobs? And that you have your own jobs? And families you want safe? Yes?" he nods at people causing several of them to reflexively nod in return.
"That is so. What are you then in all that is holy doing here instead of with them? We confronted Loyalists several times this week, we were attacked while separated and as a group. And we prevailed. Have faith, we and The Five, all the guards together, real heroes them! work at the problem. Distraction in the form of panic is not helpful. Keep your wits about you. Do what you can to be safe, prevent others from not being safe, warn your neighbors if they stay at the inn too long. Help each other if there is trouble nearby. Call the guards when you can. And now, please, let us work. You will hear the whole story soon, I promise. Right now, we are on our way to report that Gate of Scales is safe again and give new info to The Five. Keep calm and for Titanias sake, stay calm. Bluffside survived worse."
"We must give them a chance," a young lad says.

Several in the crowd nod in agreement. Others don't look completely convinced, but they relent. More patrons pour out of the tavern and praise Akos for his wisdom. Most of them are sotted but their hearts are in the right place. The crowd slowly thins out with the gathered citizens going back to their troubled lives. Spirits are better but so many of them have lost loved ones in the last few days. The Regulars and Elites of Old City are often the best of the district's peoples.

Several of the Raven's patrons take up Lord Caspersen and offer to take him home. The man is still lost in his grief.

Captain Breedon waits for the crowd to begin to disperse before moving in to take charge of the despondent lord. "I will have one of my guards take him home. I assure you he will be fine."

The patrons nod and release the man into the captain's custody. Several of them look up at the blinding sun and decide to head for home. Other go back into the tavern. Breva stands just outside the door watching the crowd. He keeps an eye out for the kobold he saw, but the only kobold he sees is Tuck.

"Well, that was interesting," Falen says as he appears next to Custodio.

"Don't do that!" Custodio says, startled. The young Elite is on edge.

"Sorry." The unseen seer says with a sly grin.

"You'd best get them back to the barracks," Captain Breedon says while motioning to the captured guards. I'm sure they will need to be debriefed about their mission."

"Change of plans," Custodio says. He nods to Tuck.

The kobold urban ranger produces the note left by the Lord Commander in the manor and hands it to Akos. Tim reads the note over the Loremaster's shoulder.

"I will leave you to your work," Captain Breedon says. He takes Lord Caspersen with him back to the gate and orders one of his men to taken the man home. "Make sure his feed and comfortable. I will come see him later, if I can."

"We need to go back to Stormgrove," Custodio whispers to Akos and Tim.

Breva comes to find out what is going on while Vinny stays with the prisoners. Lady Arnona Chittenden glances towards Akos with admiration. She has pulled back her hood as has young Silagord. Both were moved by the Loremaster's speech. Lowenan keeps his eyes low and his hood up. Vinny keeps his eyes trained on the people on the street just in case there is more trouble.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim nods in agreement. "Agreed. Let's be on our way. It was a mistake to let the glaring Kobold distract us. Even if I do suspect the presence of a Doppelgänger. I'll fill you guys in on my thoughts a little later. But for now, the prisoners and their safe transport to incarceration are our first priority."

Last edited:

Remove ads