Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Thank you please. I shall see her tomorrow. I’ll wait on Oakfirst. I shall retire as you suggest. Thank you.” Falen retains the note from Lord Max, retiring to the room suggested. He locks or otherwise bars the door upon entry, and he sleeps lightly, privy to what’s happened and what could happen. He does not resist the urge to read the note provided to him. He realizes breaking the seal may be...not what he should do...but he does so anyway, gently. He feels very guilty about it, but with what’s happened, and not knowing the ground under his feet, more information is better than less.
And thinking of additional precaution, Falen warms up a nightly spell, a secret space just above a corner bed in the room, to offer additional protection, and climbs a magical rope up into it.
Inside the hand-made envelope is a whirlwind of trouble for the entire family line of Legatus Avitus, the city of Bluffside, and maybe for Falen as well. If he delivers its contents to Lady Nazaria in the morning, he could find himself embroiled in a controversy that could end his life, if he's not careful. At first, the parchment seems to simply deliver bad news for Legatus Avitus that his son has been killed in the lands known as The Southwest -- in Khemit to be precise. It goes on for three pages, as Lord Max goes into the tragedy and the arrangements being made to have the son's body shipped back to Ticinum.

Falen reads it over and over again and can't fathom why anyone would try to kill him for these three pages. He's soon out of the rope trick and pacing around the small room before heading back up into it. The secrecy makes no sense to his curious mind. It's not until he begins to read between the lines, does he realize there is a code message from Lord Max to Legatus Avitus.

The letter turns out the only be part of the truth. Yes, the legatus has lost his son, Aulus Dovius Viatoro, but it turns out that the man had been an adventurer plying his trade around the city of Sharn. Lord Max goes on to write that the yonug man was captured by The Dusk and held captive. The ransom was Legatus Avitus's compliance with the Rising Swords and their partner in crime -- a man the coded message refers to as Phelix Del Cannitha. (Obviously, the leader of the Arreptitii.) Lord Max discovered that Phelix is an exile of the Del Cannitha family of Sharn. The Dusk kept Aulus imprisoned in a fortress just outside of the city of Tânger. Since the legatus was cursed to not have any other sons, he did whatever Phelix asked of him.

The legatus asked Lord Max to send a force to free his son, but the young man died during the rescue attempt. Worst than that, it became clear to Lord Max that someone else in Bluffside is helping to blackmail the legatus, acting as a go between for this Del Cannitha fellow. That person isn't named, but Lord Max is convinced it is someone in the embassy. Why is Lord Max sure? The Dusk had known the team Max sent were coming and ambushed them. Only one survived to report back to Lord Max. (It turns out Lord Max was in Tânger the same time as Falen.)

'There is a viper in your bed.' Lord Max writes. Always the poet, Falen notes. 'And Dusk will soon fall on Bluffside.'

Could Praefectus Casca be the villain or maybe Lady Nazaria isn't to be trusted? And then there is the scribe, Amphion. Yes, it could all go very badly for Falen if he gives the 'letter' to the wrong person and they decode it. And if The Dusk are truly coming to Bluffside, are they coming for Falen or are the assassins already here, and they are who killed Legatus Avitus?

Falen is soon wide awake despite being exhausted.

OOC: Of course, Phelix Del Cannitha is the renegade sorcerer the other PCs are trying to bring to justice. But, at this point, Falen doesn't know anything about the Brelish outcast besides what is coded in the letter (and that letter's connection to the information he learn from the praefectus). Since the streets were fog soaked when he arrived, he hasn't seen any of the handbills tacked up all over Old City warning of the villain being at large and the warnings about a group known as the Loyalists who follow him. There are also broadsheets on every corner warning about the mercenaries of the Rising Swords and their rumored presence in Bluffside.

At this point, no one else besides Falen knows that the city might have been invaded by The Dusk. ;)

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos thinks over the options carefully.

Akos knows the closest place is an Inn on the other side of the Cardinal Wall. The Jade Butterfly Inn is renown for its great services including pristine rooms and some of the best food in Old City. The inn also has an in-house healer, an old gnome matron named Gesallne. She would be able to neutralize the poison in the boy without any difficulty, but it won't come cheap. While the Loremaster knows of her, he's never met her. Still, it would be nice to get out of the fog and the inn is said to be oh-so comfy.
"Too expensive for me alone and I don't know others to know if they would give money for little nobody."

Both of them might be able to neutralize the poison.
"I would like to go to the elf...but we cannot afford the delay if he's in one of his moods. And the old one...gods only know where she is."

No, the best place to take young Mr. Dale is Spindle's Apothecary near the inner gate known as Green Gateway. Hi
s shop is the closest thing to a real temple on this side of Old City. Again, while Akos hasn't met the man, he has a great reputation among the healers of the Temple District. The Loremaster doesn't know why the man setup in Old City, but he is well liked by the locals. This late, however, he might not be open.
"Apothecary will have to be. Even if we wake him, there is always a potion or two for at least delaying the death so we can find the true priest. I meant to go there at some point anyway."

Aloud, he announces
"The best way to save the boy is to take him to the apothecary Spindle. We have to go throught the Red Arch and then north, keeping to the main streets. Unless we want to avoid any notice in which case we need to go along the wall and follow jade thicket. I don't know the apothecary personally and we will probably wake him up so he may be somewhat...distant. But he is the best bet for the boy.

The alternatives are either expensive, this is noble part of town after all, or unreliable. The price would be around 500 gold pieces, which the boy probably couldn't afford even if he worked for better part of his life. It would depend on us to pay the sum. I don't have that much on me."

Willow is old, even for a human, and she loves all living things.
OOC: This isn't saying much :) Even venerable human will be nothing next to even young adult elf.

"I also remember a story, we probably don't have time for that for the boy. It would be free, but we would need to search through Jade Thicket. It is not large, but this thing we would be looking for is magical. And the well from the story appears only when Bluffside is in peril. That would be both good and bad if we find it. We might just pass through on our way to the apothecary. Maybe it is obvious enough. It is called The Pool of Whispered Dreams."

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Breva speaks up. "I don't know enough about the city yet to say where we should take him. However, I have some small gift at healing, let me see if there is something I can do for the boy." The big powerful man is surprisingly gentle as he settles by the boy and lays his hands upon him after a short prayer. After he calls up on his God's power he examines the boy carefully.

OOC:
Heal Check: 1D20+8 = [8]+8 = 16
Could heal up to 10 points of damage.
knowledge local aid another: 1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2
Oops.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Inside the hand-made envelope is a whirlwind of trouble for the entire family line of Legatus Avitus, the city of Bluffside, and maybe for Falen as well. If he delivers its contents to Lady Nazaria in the morning, he could find himself embroiled in a controversy that could end his life, if he's not careful. At first, the parchment seems to simply deliver bad news for Legatus Avitus that his son has been killed in the lands known as The Southwest -- in Khemit to be precise. It goes on for three pages, as Lord Max goes into the tragedy and the arrangements being made to have the son's body shipped back to Ticinum.

Falen reads it over and over again and can't fathom why anyone would try to kill him for these three pages. He's soon out of the rope trick and pacing around the small room before heading back up into it. The secrecy makes no sense to his curious mind. It's not until he begins to read between the lines, does he realize there is a code message from Lord Max to Legatus Avitus.

The letter turns out the only be part of the truth. Yes, the legatus has lost his son, Aulus Dovius Viatoro, but it turns out that the man had been an adventurer plying his trade around the city of Sharn. Lord Max goes on to write that the yonug man was captured by The Dusk and held captive. The ransom was Legatus Avitus's compliance with the Rising Swords and their partner in crime -- a man the coded message refers to as Phelix Del Cannitha. (Obviously, the leader of the Arreptitii.) Lord Max discovered that Phelix is an exile of the Del Cannitha family of Sharn. The Dusk kept Aulus imprisoned in a fortress just outside of the city of Tânger. Since the legatus was cursed to not have any other sons, he did whatever Phelix asked of him.

The legatus asked Lord Max to send a force to free his son, but the young man died during the rescue attempt. Worst than that, it became clear to Lord Max that someone else in Bluffside is helping to blackmail the legatus, acting as a go between for this Del Cannitha fellow. That person isn't named, but Lord Max is convinced it is someone in the embassy. Why is Lord Max sure? The Dusk had known the team Max sent were coming and ambushed them. Only one survived to report back to Lord Max. (It turns out Lord Max was in Tânger the same time as Falen.)

'There is a viper in your bed.' Lord Max writes. Always the poet, Falen notes. 'And Dusk will soon fall on Bluffside.'

Could Praefectus Casca be the villain or maybe Lady Nazaria isn't to be trusted? And then there is the scribe, Amphion. Yes, it could all go very badly for Falen if he gives the 'letter' to the wrong person and they decode it. And if The Dusk are truly coming to Bluffside, are they coming for Falen or are the assassins already here, and they are who killed Legatus Avitus?

Falen is soon wide awake despite being exhausted.

OOC: Of course, Phelix Del Cannitha is the renegade sorcerer the other PCs are trying to bring to justice. But, at this point, Falen doesn't know anything about the Brelish outcast besides what is coded in the letter (and that letter's connection to the information he learn from the praefectus). Since the streets were fog soaked when he arrived, he hasn't seen any of the handbills tacked up all over Old City warning of the villain being at large and the warnings about a group known as the Loyalists who follow him. There are also broadsheets on every corner warning about the mercenaries of the Rising Swords and their rumored presence in Bluffside.

At this point, no one else besides Falen knows that the city might have been invaded by The Dusk. ;)

Falen doesn’t sleep immediately as his mind works through the various threads of the coded message, what it means, and who betrayed Legatus Avitis. He understands why Lord Max sent him on this errand. So he puts himself in Legatus Avitis’ shoes. And then the Prefectus. And then the Lady. And then the scribe. He continues to think on his dilemma as he climbs down, using the washbasin in his room to clean up, and visiting the lou. He decides to force himself to get a few hours sleep. He has the bare bones of a plan. Now he needs rest. With purpose. He blows out all of the candles in the room, climbs back into the rope trick, positions himself such that he will land in the bed below him should the spell end before waking, and with clear line of sight of the door and any window below him. He packs the haversack as full as possible, leaving armor, gear, and weapons ready next to it. He then dons his magical hat of disguise as a nightcap, changing his appearance (for practice) to the prefectus as well as the scribe. He smiles. This could be...fun. He grips his favorite knife, and he dozes off, willing his body to wake in 3 or 4 hours before the rope trick wears off.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"The Spindle," Tuck firmly agrees with Akos while Breva tends to the boy. "That magical something only coming when Bluffside needs it most, sounds too unpredictable."

Giving Mutt a few pats on his back, the kobold says fondly, "If it wasn't for the Spindle's Apothecary, Mutt here would've been far more dangerous to everyone. It was a debt I glady paid off!"

Then the little reptilian sounds worried. "I just hope we can get to it quickly. The only closer option I know of, well, I'd rather not get involved with her again."

A shiver seems to go through him before Tuck suppresses it.

"Let's go now that the Spindle is still open!"

Neurotic

"The Spindle," Tuck firmly agrees with Akos while Breva tends to the boy. "That magical something only coming when Bluffside needs it most, sounds too unpredictable."

"Unpredictable, yes, but on our way. And if we find it...well, we will know that The Renegade is more dangerous for Bluffside than anybody thinks."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Aloud, Akos announces
"The best way to save the boy is to take him to the apothecary Spindle. We have to go throught the Red Arch and then north, keeping to the main streets. Unless we want to avoid any notice in which case we need to go along the wall and follow jade thicket. I don't know the apothecary personally and we will probably wake him up so he may be somewhat...distant. But he is the best bet for the boy.

The alternatives are either expensive, this is noble part of town after all, or unreliable. The price would be around 500 gold pieces, which the boy probably couldn't afford even if he worked for better part of his life. It would depend on us to pay the sum. I don't have that much on me."
"If there is a price to be paid," Vinccenzo says. "We should all pool our coins and help the lad. We also have Mani's stuff, so we could offer some of it in trade."

Neurotic said:
OOC: This isn't saying much :) Even venerable human will be nothing next to even young adult elf.
OOC: Well, Akos is human, so I figured he'd respect a venerable human's ability to live so long in a dangerous world (even with his fey connection).

Breva speaks up. "I don't know enough about the city yet to say where we should take him. However, I have some small gift at healing, let me see if there is something I can do for the boy." The big powerful man is surprisingly gentle as he settles by the boy and lays his hands upon him after a short prayer. After he calls up on his God's power he examines the boy carefully.

OOC:
Heal Check: 1D20+8 = [8]+8 = 16
Could heal up to 10 points of damage.
knowledge local aid another: 1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2
Oops.
The paladin's ministrations do little to ease the boy's obvious discomfort. Whatever is in young Joseph's blood is vile beyond his ability to heal without access to a temple or an alchemy lab. The boy's color is becoming concerning to Breva. There is a blue tinge to the boy's lips and his fingers.

Neurotic said:
"I also remember a story, we probably don't have time for that for the boy. It would be free, but we would need to search through Jade Thicket. It is not large, but this thing we would be looking for is magical. And the well from the story appears only when Bluffside is in peril. That would be both good and bad if we find it. We might just pass through on our way to the apothecary. Maybe it is obvious enough. It is called The Pool of Whispered Dreams."
"That copse of trees is called a thicket for a reason. I doubt it's the safest place after dark and I wouldn't want to go in there in the fog," Vinccenzo glances at the half-open doors of the stable. The fog is still thick and is billowing inside. The fog is making the horses nervous. Vinccenzo goes and closes up the doors and tries to calm the animals down. "We should go see this Spindle person right away. Spindle? That's an odd name."

"Unpredictable, yes, but on our way. And if we find it...well, we will know that The Renegade is more dangerous for Bluffside than anybody thinks."
"I say we take the main roads and get there as fast as possible. If you really want to check it out, we could do it after the boy is taken care of... the story does sound intriguing."

JustinCase said:
Giving Mutt a few pats on his back, the kobold says fondly, "If it wasn't for the Spindle's Apothecary, Mutt here would've been far more dangerous to everyone. It was a debt I glady paid off!"

Then the little reptilian sounds worried. "I just hope we can get to it quickly. The only closer option I know of, well, I'd rather not get involved with her again."

A shiver seems to go through him before Tuck suppresses it.

"Let's go now that the Spindle is still open!"
"Yes, let's get him there quickly!" Vinccenzo agrees.

All agree it would be easiest for Tim to carry young Mr. Dale, although Vinccenzo does offer to do it. Once the doors to the stables are secure from the outside, Tuck and Mutt lead the way through the fog with the big dog's nose as the guide. Finding the way back to Red Arch is easy enough, but after that the way is more mysterious in the fog. Breva use the illumination from his sword to help guide the way. The streets are very quiet and there aren't any citizens on the streets.

It only takes about 15 minutes to make your way to the apothecary on the main streets. If you'd taken the side street along the wall near the Jade Thicket, it would have taken a lot longer. Vinccenzo asks Akos more about the story and the two are hopeful to discover if the legend is true.

Mutt senses where the group is going once he gets close. The big dog becomes excited and barks at Tuck to hurry. He nearly pulls the kobold urban ranger off his feet. The small shop is indeed open, as Tuck noted. A young noblewoman in a hooded cloak comes out of the door just as Tuck is about to open it.

"Oh my!" She startles when she sees the adventurers! "Back you ruffians!"

"At ease, dear lady," Vinccenzo says. "We are on a mission to save this young boy's life. He's been poisoned by the Old City Killer, who we caught, and needs the apothecary's help."

The woman is taken aback by the appearance and odor of you all. "You smell like you've been sleeping with horses." She holds a handkerchief in front of her nose. She nearly gags.

Spindle quickly appears at the door with a rake in his hand. "Back you louts! Don't hassle my customers! I won't pay the Sabers a bloody copper!" Then he sees Tuck and Mutt and relaxes. He turns to the noblewoman. "It is alright, Lady Delia, I know this fine kobold and his dog. Hello there Mutt! You're looking healthy."

The dog barks at the man and lets him rub him on the chin and the head. "Yes, your coat is nice and shiny." He looks at Tuck and notes the others' many scrapes. "You been in a fight recently, haven't you?"

"Yes, but we're fine," Vinccenzo replies. "This boy here has been poisoned. Our Loremaster and paladin," he motions to Akos and Breva. "Have tried to heal him, and while his wounds have closed, the venom is still killing him."

"That's to be expected," Spindle says. "Well, come in, come in! There isn't much time left by the looks of him." He ushers the adventurers into the shop. "Put him on the table there." He motions to a large table filled with books and reagents. The entire shop is a place of controlled chaos. One false step could tip an entire shelf of potions over onto the floor.

Tim has to squeeze in through the front door and then there is only one spot he can stand, by the front door. (OOC: Depending on who is carrying Joseph, either Tim hands the boy over to Akos or Vinccenzo takes the boy to the table and waits for the others to clear a spot.)

"Yes, yes, just move whatever you need to move!" Spindle exclaims while he climbs up a short ladder and picks several potion bottles off the shelf. "Yes, one of these will work. My strongest antitoxins and if that doesn't work, I'm sure I have a neutralize poison potion around here somewhere." He climbs back down and shoos Mutt away as he moves to the table and looks at the boys lips and into his eyes. "Very bad," he says. "Who did this?"

"The Old City Killer stabbed him with a poisoned dagger," Vinccenzo replies. "We caught the bastard. A doppelganger with a deadly sense of humor."

"Well, let's talk about that later," the apothecary says. "Hold him while I pour this down his throat. The reaction could be intense." He tips the boy's head back and puts a funnel in his mouth then he pours antire vial into the funnel while massaging the boy's neck. "Please don't choke, young one."

The antitoxin goes down smoother than any of you expect. The boy seems to stop breathing for a moment and then begins to thrash around on the table. "Hold him!"

Vinccenzo helps Akos hold the boy down so he doesn't hurt himself. He seizes for nearly a minute before it ends and the boy is soon breathing deeply and his lips and fingers go back to their normal color.

"He's through the worst of it," Spindle says proudly. "That was close. Any longer and the antitoxin wouldn't have had any effect."

"Will, will he be alright?" A feminine voice asks. Lady Delia stands next to Tim watching in fascination. Her initial disgust seems to have past.

"I think he'll be okay," Spindle says with a smile. The old, gray-haired apothecary looks very tired, and he gladly lets Mutt nuzzle up to him as he sits down on an old wooden chair. "If I could find that potion in here, it would make short work of the poison and he'd be up on his feet right away, but with some rest, he'll be back to his old self in 3 or 4 days."

"Good, I'm glad," she replies. She turns to Tim and the others. "I'm sorry for my words. There is no excuse, but coming through that damn fog to see Spindle made me quite afraid. If the need hadn't been great, I wouldn't be out in this weather at all." She pulls down her hood to reveal ebony skin, pale green eyes, and golden hair. She is likely in her mid-thirties and is stunning to say the least.

"It is understandable," Vinccenzo replies. "You weren't expecting us to appear out of nowhere."

"That's still no excuse for my boorish behavior," she replies with a bow. "Please forgive me as the eldest daughter of House of Frostraven."

"This is Lady Delia Marian Frostraven," Spindle introduces her to Vinccenzo. "One of my best customers and daughter of one of my greatest patrons, her mother, Lady Cordelia."

"Mother will want to thank you personally for these potions," Lady Delia replies. "Expect her to come visit you after we've returned from Banbridge next month."

"I will be glad for her company," he says with a laugh and a smile like sunshine. "I'll set out the sweetmeats for her." He slaps his knee and then ruffles Mutt's neck hair with both hands. "You are such a good pup!"

Mutt wags his tail and barks once.

"I like your dog," Lady Delia says to Tuck. "I wish I could stay long and hear your story about the Old City Killer, but I have to get home before the fog becomes so thick, I'll have to swim through it." She dons her hood and puts one hand on Tim's forearm before she rushes out of the door with her bag of potions.

"We should escort her," Vinccenzo says to Spindle.

"No, she'd be offended," the old apothecary replies. "That woman can take care of herself. Trust me!" He turns to Tuck with his face more passive. "Tuck, my friend. You have some new friends, I see. Last I heard, you were helping the miners with some mission in the Undercity. Now you're helping the Sectarian Guard. What is it this time, eh? And what's this about the Old City Killer being a doppelganger?"

OOC: You guys can choose to make a Search check (DC 25) to go through the shop for Spindle and find the potion of neutralize poison.

I need to mention that my main PC has been sent for service to fix the keyboard and my old PC is very slow after upgrading it to Windows 10. So, right now, I'm on my sister's old laptop to write this update. So far, it hasn't hung up on me, but using it will be challenging. The keyboard is very different than what I'm used to and I can't be on it all the time, since it has Windows 7 Pro, which isn't as secure. It does have an up-to-date antivirus and firewall, so it should be fine, for now. (No using Facebook or my gaming programs on this machine.)

Updates will take more time and likely be less frequent for a week, at least. But, you never know.

Neurotic

OOC: Akos cannot make DC 25 search with +2 nor has he the inclination to do so. He WOULD offer to escort the lady (if we were in-person game where I could interrupt :)

Something to think about: he is half-fey...no longer human and vulnerable to iron...yet, iron is in his blood...maybe fey blood is green and nickel (magntic) or even copper (if magnetic is irrelevant) based :p

Also, I realized at some point I changed the color to green and it was blue earlier :)

Last edited:

Neurotic

"That copse of trees is called a thicket for a reason. I doubt it's the safest place after dark and I wouldn't want to go in there in the fog,"

"I agree, but how thickety could it be in the middle of the town? Even if left to its own. Darkness and fog wouldn't make it easy, but it is small enough that anything like the well should be possible to find."
Muses Akos as they walk

It only takes about 15 minutes to make your way to the apothecary on the main streets. If you'd taken the side street along the wall near the Jade Thicket, it would have taken a lot longer. Vinccenzo asks Akos more about the story and the two are hopeful to discover if the legend is true.
"Well, to tell you the truth, I remembered the story and have general idea of its content. It would require research to find the original and maybe glean things lost to retelling. Most important part is that IF we find it, that means the city is in peril."

A young noblewoman in a hooded cloak comes out of the door just as Tuck is about to open it.
"Oh my!" She startles when she sees the adventurers! "Back you ruffians!"
Akos bows and makes room for her to pass
"Lady."

Spindle quickly appears at the door with a rake in his hand. "Back you louts! Don't hassle my customers! I won't pay the Sabers a bloody copper!" Then he sees Tuck and Mutt and relaxes. [/COLOR]
Akos looks at the apothecary with interest at this, but in general ignores the outburst until the boy is safe.

"Will, will he be alright?" A feminine voice asks. Lady Delia stands next to Tim watching in fascination. Her initial disgust seems to have past.

"I think he'll be okay," Spindle says with a smile. The old, gray-haired apothecary looks very tired, and he gladly lets Mutt nuzzle up to him as he sits down on an old wooden chair. "If I could find that potion in here, it would make short work of the poison and he'd be up on his feet right away, but with some rest, he'll be back to his old self in 3 or 4 days."
Akos bows again
"Thank you for your interest in a common man, lady, you are shining example of noble behaviour."
"Good, I'm glad," she replies. She turns to Tim and the others. "I'm sorry for my words. There is no excuse, but coming through that damn fog to see Spindle made me quite afraid. If the need hadn't been great, I wouldn't be out in this weather at all." She pulls down her hood to reveal ebony skin, pale green eyes, and golden hair. She is likely in her mid-thirties and is stunning to say the least.

"That's still no excuse for my boorish behavior," she replies with a bow. "Please forgive me as the eldest daughter of House of Frostraven."

"We will not hold it against you, the weather is terrible and there WAS an assassin about. If you want to hear about it, there are nobles and fine gentlemen in our group that can be called as guests without undue fuss."
Akos adds not very subtle emphasis on 'was' - all the better to whet the womans curiousity.

"This is Lady Delia Marian Frostraven," Spindle introduces her to Vinccenzo. "One of my best customers and daughter of one of my greatest patrons, her mother, Lady Cordelia."
[/QUOTE
"Charmed. Loremaster Ákos at your service."

He waits until she is gone and turns to the apothecary.
"Thank you for your prompt help, the boy wouldn't make it without you. I was planning on visiting you to see if there is anything for particular kind of affliction you might have, but there was never any rush. Until now. And now that I'm here, I'm more interested in this mention of Sabers you seem to have troubles with. We may be able to help if it will not take us from our other duties. It is the duty of the Elite after all to maintain order in the city."
Ákos thinks for a second as if only now remembering.
"How much for that potion? While saving life is worthy cause, your work needs support."

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck remembers a potion with a peculiar label from his last visit, when he passed the time browsing the apothecary while Mutt was being treated. He moves over to the cluttered shelf where he last saw it, and after looking at several potions, he grabs another one and...

"Found it!" the kobold yells excitedly, as he holds it up for Spindle to inspect.

He turns to Tuck with his face more passive. "Tuck, my friend. You have some new friends, I see. Last I heard, you were helping the miners with some mission in the Undercity. Now you're helping the Sectarian Guard. What is it this time, eh? And what's this about the Old City Killer being a doppelganger?"

Tuck shrugs as he hands over the potion.

"Caught the bragging bastard today," he refers to the doppelganger. "If he hadn't been so boastful, we wouldn't have known about this poor boy, and we certainly wouldn't have gotten him to you in time."

Carefully the kobold produces the poisoned dagger.

"There is still poison left on the blade we took from the killer. I suppose you need it?"

Then, sheepishly, Tuck lowers his gaze when Akos asks how much the potion costs. "Or is there another way to repay your services?"

Remove ads