• COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! The standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love!
log in or register to remove this ad

 

Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Silagord ignores the war of words in the other room. He moves to rush by Akos, Breva, and Vinny and get to his cat familiar. He moves recklessly and doesn't seem to care if anyone lashes out at him.

OOC:
Since Silagord goes before Akos, Breva, and Vinny, they are all considered flat-footed, which means that none of them can make AoOs vs. the young tower wizard. not that he's attacking anyone. He's more concerned about his cat.


As Lowenan loses his cool and proves he actually hoped for combat, just was under orders - Akos considers his options. While they probably could win here, it would be a hard fight. And with the demon incoming, with mimic in the room, it could quickly become deadly. And he himself could risk calming emotions here...but who knows if that wouldn't disable his group? In the end, he concludes he needs to stop this in its tracks.

Drawing upon supernatural charm of his fey patron he strikes his staff into the stone tiles.
"No! Stop this! This has nothing to do with honor or the lack thereof, just two animals going after their natures. Tuck! Control your dog! Tim, don't kill anyone!
Vinccenzo, who has been wanting to resolve this meeting of this day without blood puts up his off hand and lowers his sword point. he even positions himself to come between the two sides if need be.
Vinccenzo enters the room and takes up a position net to Tim on the other side opposite of Custodio. He works with Akos to try to keep the ex-guards from attacking. The situation was escalating quickly until Falen entered the room and spoke... Vinny doesn't have a clue what language the half-hobgoblin just used, but the uncertainty has confused the ex-guards if not their leader.

Maybe that was Falen's plan.

"Stop!" Tuck orders Mutt to quit assaulting the cat.

"You were supposed to chase it off, not catch it," he mutters warily, coming forward to hold the dog by its fur. Not that the little kobold stands any chance of holding back the large canine, but hopefully his touch will calm the animal.
Silagord moves through the open door and into the barracks just in time to hear Tuck order Mutt to stop. He watches as Mutt stops advancing on Thare. The big dog looks back at Tuck with a disappointed look. He sees Silagord and growls at the young wizard.

Thare hisses once at Mutt and then scrambles towards her master. Silagord scoops up the cat with a sigh of relief. He looks at Tuck and nods his head. "Thank you for not hurting her. This whole mess was such a bad idea for us to get involved in just for a few extra coins for my family." He looks at Mutt with less understanding. "I'm glad your dog actually listened to you. I'd hate to lose Thare." He holds the cat close and pats her on the head to try to calm her down. Tuck can see that the cat is still shaking.

OOC:
@Scotley, you have the option of having Breva take an action at this point.


Neurotic said:
Lowenan, you gave your word we can leave and the dog attacking the cat is not a provocation, but an accident. You knew Tuck and Mutt are here somewhere and we didn't know about the cat! Stop your men, there is no treachery from our side. Don't force Arnona and Silagord's decision."
He motions quickly toward the knight guarding the genie, but his motions are semi-invisible behind Tims bulk and Rizvan.
"You see," Lady Arnona tries to help Akos clam down the situation. "It wasn't subterfuge on their part. It was an accident. Please stop this before you get us all killed."

Neurotic said:
"Arnona, Silagord, don't attack or cast! Custodio, Breva, Vincenco, everyone! don't attack them if they don't attack first. We're not the enemies here. Lowenan, peace! Your master needs time and a message passed to The Five.
Lady Arnona turns to look at Akos. "I'm a soldier, Loremaster, not a wizard or a sorcerer," she replies. "And Silagord already gave up his spell components to the Sectarian, so he can't attack you with his spells." She pauses. "It sounds like he and the kobold are working it out." She turns back to her commander. "Lowenan, tell them to stop."

The other two ex-guards are prepared to rush Custodio and Vinccenzo. But they balk at the last second.

Lowenan hesitates. He puts up his hand and the two guards relax. "It seems I am the true hothead here," he replies. "Not Mr. Vecchi." He sighs and shakes his head. "I've become so use to betrayal that I now betray myself." The ex-commander leans against the table. "I apologize for my stupidity."

The mimic gnashes its teeth in frustration.

"Oh stop it!" Lowenan orders the mimic. "I said we'll feed you later!"

Neurotic said:
And Musummaar, you don't have to send that demon. Doing so is an irrevocable act of aggression against Bluffside. You just said it is not something Phoenix would want."
"Quite right," Lowenan adds. "Musummaar, stop the sequence! It was a mistake! My mistake! I will accept any punishments Phelix wishes to claim for this mess."

There is only silence from the other side of the portal.

"Musummaar!"

"I can hear you," the gnome says. "No need to shout."

"Stop the sequence, please."

"Why would I want to do that?" The gnome laughs.

"What?" Arnona says is shock.

"Phelix will have your head, you damn gnome!" the ex-commander yells.

"Pleeease... you think you're the first 'apprentice' of his to think they are above me," Musummaar says as the other side of the portal nears the alien creature from the Far Realm. "Master Phelix relies on my extensive knowledge more than your pitiful skills. You've given me an opening to get rid of you and blame it all on a bunch of adventurers that have become a thorn in the master's plans. And... it is so obvious that they are playing you for a fool."

He laughs again. "Maybe you might survive the pseudonatural with their help, if they help, but not it, the mimic, and my other little surprise, I think," the gnome says slyly. "Why do you think I had the mimic placed there in the first place." He pauses. "Mimic, kill him and eat your fill. Support the fire demon but don't get in it or the other one's way."

The mimic hisses and gnashes its teeth. It makes a sound that could be laughter but it sounds like old wood being torn apart.

"Oh no," Arnona says.

"MUSUMMAAR!"

"I have to go now," the gnome says casually. "Research to do... test subjects to transform into new, beautiful forms. Good luck, Lowenan. You're going to need it."

"YOU LITTLE BASTARD!"

The gnome does not answer. The alien being from the Far Realm begins to breech the edge of the portal.

"By The Twelve," one of the ex-guards exclaims. "He was planning to send it through no matter what was decided here."

"He- he was waiting..." Arnona says looking towards Tim and the others. "To send it to kill us after you left."

The Deaf-Mute Knight looks wide-eyed at the portal. He was not expecting the creature to come through at all. He signs frantically towards Lowenan. His gestures are done with anger, confusion.

"I- I didn't see it coming," Lowenan says. He looks towards Akos, gravely concerned. "Truce, for their sake and the knight's if not my own?" He motions to the ex-guards and the DMK.

"Please?" Lady Arnona begs Tim. "We will not stand a chance without your help!"

OOC:
Okay, now we get to the guts of this encounter. Will the PCs retreat and leave the ex-guards, Lady Arnona, and the DMK to their fate or will they help them defeat the alien fire demon and the mimic and whatever else the gnome has planned. :D

@Neurotic, make another Intelligence check to determine what the DMK just 'signed' to Lowenan. THe DC for this check is a little higher, 17.

@Tellerian Hawke, I know you have a post planned but you might want to alter it. ;)
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim, who looked as if he were about to speak, pauses long enough to note the Gnome's betrayal, before saying: "Lowenan... Arnona... the rest of you... I don't know how much you know of me, but hear this: I am no diplomat. I do not mince words. I am a Knight, and a battle leader. The ring of steel is what I know. Whatever comes through that portal, is a threat to all of us, nay, to Bluffside, and the world beyond. I will lead the charge against it. I will either send it straight to the Abyss, or die trying. By Syvatagor's teeth, I swear this. If any of you would join me, I would welcome it. But I will brook no betrayal. Come, show me the courage in your hearts. Let us show that Gnome who he's dealing with. And if any of you do not feel up to the task, I shall not curse or belittle you; fighting man vs. man is one thing. Demons are quite another. But I only ask that if you do choose to leave, that you make the Gnome's insubordination and betrayal known to your master. Lowenan, please relay my words to the deaf Knight, if you would. Now... who's with me?"

Tim holds his family sword high, pointed to the ceiling, looking around the room, to see whether or not his words were effective.

OOC: In the first round, if the Demon hasn't stepped through yet, Tim will charge the Mimic.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim, who looked as if he were about to speak, pauses long enough to note the Gnome's betrayal, before saying: "Lowenan... Arnona... the rest of you... I don't know how much you know of me, but hear this: I am no diplomat. I do not mince words. I am a Knight, and a battle leader. The ring of steel is what I know. Whatever comes through that portal, is a threat to all of us, nay, to Bluffside, and the world beyond. I will lead the charge against it. I will either send it straight to the Abyss, or die trying. By Syvatagor's teeth, I swear this. If any of you would join me, I would welcome it. But I will brook no betrayal. Come, show me the courage in your hearts. Let us show that Gnome who he's dealing with. And if any of you do not feel up to the task, I shall not curse or belittle you; fighting man vs. man is one thing. Demons are quite another. But I only ask that if you do choose to leave, that you make the Gnome's insubordination and betrayal known to your master. Lowenan, please relay my words to the deaf Knight, if you would. Now... who's with me?"

Tim holds his family sword high, pointed to the ceiling, looking around the room, to see whether or not his words were effective.

OOC: In the first round, if the Demon hasn't stepped through yet, Tim will charge the Mimic.
"I will stand with you," Lowenan says. "But we must be careful not to attack the portal itself." He points to the genie. "Her lifeforce is tied to it. At least, that's my understanding. Any area spells that go off near it will hurt her." He points to the DMK. "He will react violently towards anyone who hurts her even if it isn't intentional. He is smitten with her. He will die defending this room and her life. And, if it goes badly, he will not retreat unless forced to do so."

He looks at Arnona. "I'm sorry I got you into this mess." He readies his blade for what is to come. "Stay back! Don't engage it! It could kill you with a single blow!"

Anorna is shaking in fear. She nods and keeps her back to the wall behind her.

"Charvin! Rhilaseth! I'm counting on your blades! But be careful!"

The two ex-guards who have remained silent during negotiations nod their heads and fix their eyes on the portal.

"Sectarian, keep Silagord out of here!" He says to Vinccenzo. "He is not ready to face this sort of evil!"

Lowenan turns towards the mimic. "I will end you, if I must. Stay where you are! Behave!"

The mimic hisses at the ex-commander. It has given its answer.
 
Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
OOC:
Bow shots and damage: 1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15
1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5
1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13
1D8+4 = [8]+4 = 12
Oops, I miscounted bonuses. Should be another +1 to hit for bless I think.


Breva has been standing mute with his bow drawn watching the quick changes in allegences and threats. He lets the sorcerer pass to retrieve his familiar without acting. Finally, once the Gnome's treacery is revealed he danes to speak and act. "Truce," he says to Lowenan. And this his bow string twangs, he smoothly draws and another shaft and sends it after the first. Both are aimed at the mimic.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC:
Bow shots and damage: 1D20+9 = [6]+9 = 15
1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5
1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13
1D8+4 = [8]+4 = 12
Oops, I miscounted bonuses. Should be another +1 to hit for bless I think.

Breva has been standing mute with his bow drawn watching the quick changes in allegiances and threats. He lets the sorcerer pass to retrieve his familiar without acting. Finally, once the Gnome's treachery is revealed he danes to speak and act. "Truce," he says to Lowenan. And this his bow string twangs, he smoothly draws and another shaft and sends it after the first. Both are aimed at the mimic.
A moment after the gnomes treachery but before Tim's speech, Breva finds an angle in between Tim and Vinccenzo to fire his arrows through the first one impacts the mimic's false chair front under its mouth but the second deflects off the northwestern column in front of altar.

The mimic seems completely shocked by the arrow sticking into it. While hissing and gnashing its teeth, it tries to figure out where the arrow came from.

OOC: Okay, so Breva's attack officially ends Round One.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Flames seem to pull the the alien creature through the portal to stand just beyond the room's altar. The portal shifts slightly east towards the magic circle and goes dark. The image of the creature from the other side of the portal didn't truly show the horror of the fire demon. It stands nearly 15 feet tall and is completely made of molten rock and flames. Fire-like tentacles seem to shift across it form and its facial features are pure flame encased in melting black rock that seems to flow in every direction.

It fixes its burning eyes on Tim and steps towards the half-ogre knight and strikes out with its two fiery appendages. Its fists are made of molen rock and Tim can feel the heat singe the hairs on his arm as he manages to block the strikes with his shield. While the creature doesn't appear to be intensely strong it is very quick in its movements.

The Deaf-Mute Knight steps behind the creature and attacks the fire demon once it has cleared the portal. The knight's bastard sword cuts through molten rock and flame but it doesn't look like the blade hurt the creature as much as it should have from such a powerful blow.

Lowenan follows up Breva's attack on the mimic with a magic missile spell to prove his point to the aberration. Three force bolts fires from the tips of his fingers and the bolts slam unerringly into the mimic.

"Stay!"

Standing next to Tim, Custodio slashes at the fire demon with his own bastard sword, but even with Breva's blessing of the Purifier, the Vanquisher's blade only comes close. The creature avoids the blow with preternatural speed.

The mimic hisses in anger at Lowenan and it shift forward on its false legs and tries to slam its balled up 'chair arm' fists against the ex-commander chest. The strikes only hit the table that stands between it and the sorcerer.

"Charvin! Help me slay this thing," Lowenan orders the ex-guard standing behind him near Arnona.

"I'll be right there," Charvin replies.

 
Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos narrows his eyes as he reads the man. His focus is such that he misses much of the what is happening in his environs.

"Lowenan, why would we fight this demon for you? You're the one who allied yourself with self-serving, immoral sorcerer. For no gain as far as I can see. That kind of people attract others without morals or honor. We could just pull the doors closed, save Arnona and Silagord and be done with you."

Akos sighs.
"Unfortunately, you're right in that this is a threat to Bluffside too and my companions will not let the beast be. And I'm reluctant to leave the knight to suffer for your misguided allegiance. Promise that you'll let us go if we defeat these enemies even if we're too weak to defend ourselves from you. And that you will give your full power to this fight."

He gestures in paralel to the speech and incredibly, it all makes sense to both of them.

Unfortunately, once the demon appears, he is too busy with thinking about it and his spells and such to clearly communicate the important part and that is, "the circle is killing the genie".

Akos quickly casts Faerie Fire on the demon, preventing any concealing magic on its part.


 
Last edited:


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Silagord listens to Tim's speech from just inside the doorway of the small barracks. He hesitantly takes a step out of the room, puts Thare down behind him, and pulls out a wand from his belt. "Wh- where do you want me? This wand is enchanted to fire magic missiles."

"Stay in the corridor," Custodio suggests to the young tower wizard. "Hit the demon if you can."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Mutt whines as first it is prevented from catching a cat, and now it feels a very evil presence entering the chamber across the hall. The big dog look at Tuck, then decides to stay at the kobolds side for their mutual protection, until ordered otherwise.
 



ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
5' step back to North West, cast Haste on self + Tim, The DMK, Falen, Custodio

duration: 5 rounds
+When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding. The attack is made using the creature’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation
+A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves.
+All movements increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject’s normal speed

cast defensively vs lv 3 spell [haste]
ScottDeWar,Jr: D20 + 15 → 19(4 + 15)
 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
5' step back to North West, cast Haste on self + Tim, The DMK, Falen, Custodio

duration: 5 rounds
+When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding. The attack is made using the creature’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation
+A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves.
+All movements increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject’s normal speed
Vinny steps back from the alien fire demon, which puts him against the western wall and the short wall of the niche. His spell encompasses his nearest allies near the open doorway, as well as the Deaf-Mute Knight.

ScottDeWar_jr said:
cast defensively vs lv 3 spell [haste]
ScottDeWar,Jr: D20 + 15 → 19(4 + 15)
OOC: You don't need to worry about Vinny casting defensively after he steps back.

While Arnona knows she isn't likely to hurt the demon, she unslings her bow and aims towards the mimic. She fires a single shot towards the attacking aberration but the arrow impacts the wall behind the mimic.



Mutt whines as first it is prevented from catching a cat, and now it feels a very evil presence entering the chamber across the hall. The big dog look at Tuck, then decides to stay at the kobolds side for their mutual protection, until ordered otherwise.
Mutt heels next to Tuck and whines again. The big dog doesn't want the kobold urban ranger to leave the safety of the barracks. "Stay," Tuck orders the dog. The kobold ranger heads out into the corridor and takes up a position in between Breva and Silagord.

Tuck quickly loads his light crossbow and aims at the mimic. Tuck pulls the trigger and the bolt flies through the air and thumps into the mimic near its toothy mouth.

OOC:
@JustinCase, I'm having Mutt delay to move with Tuck. I'm going to assume you want Tuck to go into the corridor, but he orders Mutt to stay in the room away from danger. If you want him to do something else besides attack with his +1 light crossbow, let me know.

Tuck (with bless) > +1 Light crossbow: 1D20+14 = [12]+14 = 26
1D6+1 = [4]+1 = 5
(hit!)
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The ex-guard closest to Anorna seems ready to rush to his commander's aid, but then he takes a single step forward and slashes out at Arnona with his longsword, quickly and viciously. The young noblewoman barely has time to react and tries awkwardly to block the man's strikes but the ex-guard is faster and cuts two deep slashes into the woman. She drops to the floor and doesn't move.

"NO! Charvin! What are you doing?" The other ex-guard exclaims in complete shock.

"You bastard!" Custodio shouts.

"What?" Lowenan glances back to see Arnona's still form and the blood on Charvin's blade. "What did you do? Why?"

The man lets out a laugh that doesn't sound... natural. He looks at Lowenan and his grin seems to grow teeth and then fade away. His skin and clothes shift like a chameleon and his eyes shift to be black and cold.

"You... you're not Charvin," Lowenan sneers. "One of the doppelgangers."

"Damn!"

 
Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The other ex-guard, Rhilaseth, charges towards the Alien Fire Demon with his longsword, hoping to takes it rage out on the creature. The pseudonatural creature reacts to his wild attack and slams its fist into the onrushing man and hurts the ex-guard badly. Somehow, Rhilaseth manages to get a hit in against the creature, but he catches on fire and is soon in real trouble.

"AHHH! NOOOO!"

 


Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Breava finds himself frustrated by the press in front of him and no clear shot. He slips past Fallen and behind Sir Tim to a position just inside the door next to Vinny and a clear target comes into view. He draws back his bow and fires with impressive accuracy at the doppleganger.

bowshot and damage: 1D20+11 = [18]+11 = 29
1D8+4 = [4]+4 = 8
The arrow embeds into the doppelganger's back and it shrieks in discomfort. It turns and hisses at Breva.

Akos narrows his eyes as he reads the man. His focus is such that he misses much of the what is happening in his environs.

"Lowenan, why would we fight this demon for you? You're the one who allied yourself with self-serving, immoral sorcerer. For no gain as far as I can see. That kind of people attract others without morals or honor. We could just pull the doors closed, save Arnona and Silagord and be done with you."
"If you want to chastize me later, so be it!" Lowenan snaps at Akos. "Now's not really the time!" The man's thought of decorum has faded with the threat of the doppelganger.

Neurotic said:
Akos sighs.
"Unfortunately, you're right in that this is a threat to Bluffside too and my companions will not let the beast be. And I'm reluctant to leave the knight to suffer for your misguided allegiance. Promise that you'll let us go if we defeat these enemies even if we're too weak to defend ourselves from you. And that you will give your full power to this fight."

He gestures in parallel to the speech and incredibly, it all makes sense to both of them.

Unfortunately, once the demon appears, he is too busy with thinking about it and his spells and such to clearly communicate the important part and that is, "the circle is killing the genie".

Akos quickly casts Faerie Fire on the demon, preventing any concealing magic on its part.


The silent knight seems to understand some of what Akos is saying to him but he doesn't see all of the Loremaster's signs, especially with the fire demon and the burning ex-guard in the way.

Akos spell fizzles as it comes into contact with the pseudo-natural elemental's resistance to magic.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Tellerian Hawke:
"Have at you, evil spawn!" Big Tim slashes out at the alien creature with his sword but he misjudges his first swing and his sword nearly slips from his hand. He tries to recover quickly and slash at the pseudo-natural creature again but the fire demon deflects the blade away with its half flame, half molten rock arm.

Tim manages to reset his footing before the creature can strike out at him again.
 

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Fire Demon ignores Tim and turns to the one that hurt it. It slams at the DMK but the knight manages to dodge the creature's strikes.

The knight counters enhanced with Vinny's haste spell. He silently scores two solid strikes against the demon but the creature manages to avoid the third sword strike.

 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top