Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim looks quizzically at Lady Delia as she leaves. His thoughts race as he considers her: ~Strange. Why did she touch me? Earlier, she said we all smelled, and made out as if to gag. I am also not very approachable to those who are unfamiliar with my background. Most people avoid even getting near me. But she touched me purposefully. Almost as if...~

Tim motions to Akos, "My friend, a word in private, if you don't mind."

"Did you see that? Lady Delia touched me as she left. I don't know why, but I feel that it was purposeful. Can you use your magical skills, to determine if she has marked me somehow, with some sort of magic? I'm not sure why, but I think she either wants to track our movements, or perhaps mark us for recognition to her allies. People don't just walk up and put their hands on perfect strangers, let alone giant half-ogres like myself. Something is amiss here."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Focusing on his giant companion, allowing his senses to go through the veil to hid fey side, the warlock detects magic focusing specially on the area touched.

Ooc: this is warlock ability, there is no obvious casting

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I agree, but how thickety could it be in the middle of the town? Even if left to its own. Darkness and fog wouldn't make it easy, but it is small enough that anything like the well should be possible to find."
Muses Akos as they walk

"Well, to tell you the truth, I remembered the story and have general idea of its content. It would require research to find the original and maybe glean things lost to retelling. Most important part is that IF we find it, that means the city is in peril."
"Yet your story says a magical... something, appears in the thicket when Bluffside is in peril. I doubt such an arcane place would be unguarded," Vinccenzo replies. "And the city's thickets aren't cultivated like the Gardens. Yes, Old City has a few thickets, but the Wizard District has many strange hedgerows and overgrown places and so do the other districts. Don't get me started on some of the weird things that go on at night in the densest parts of Academy Park or the other overgrown thickets that surround the Academy."

Vinccenzo pauses. "I know there are a few thickets in the Temple District too, although I've only been there a handful of times. Have you visited any of them? And New City is brimming with both cultivated parks for the rich and old growth thickets that sit on the edges of the district against the inner walls, although some of them likely burned during the New City disaster that Ph-, that the renegade caused."

Neurotic said:
Akos bows and makes room for her to pass
"Lady."

Akos bows again
"Thank you for your interest in a common man, lady, you are shining example of noble behaviour."

"We will not hold it against you, the weather is terrible and there WAS an assassin about. If you want to hear about it, there are nobles and fine gentlemen in our group that can be called as guests without undue fuss."

Akos adds not very subtle emphasis on 'was' - all the better to whet the woman's curiosity.

"Charmed. Loremaster Ákos at your service."
"Thank you for your kind words, Loremaster" Lady Delia replies with a bow. "I will let mother know that you wish an invitation to our home. It likely won't be right away, as we're off to Banbridge in the morning, " she pauses. "If the fog lifts."

Neurotic said:
He waits until she is gone and turns to the apothecary.
"Thank you for your prompt help, the boy wouldn't make it without you. I was planning on visiting you to see if there is anything for particular kind of affliction you might have, but there was never any rush. Until now. And now that I'm here, I'm more interested in this mention of Sabers you seem to have troubles with. We may be able to help if it will not take us from our other duties. It is the duty of the Elite after all to maintain order in the city."
"Bah! The Golden Sabers are a damn bunch of thieves that prowl the streets and canals of Sordadon out in the bay. They control the area around the Shipping District and are into all sorts of unsavory deals. While they're not as vicious as their rivals, The Hammers, who control Sordadon's Commoners' District, they taken to running protection rackets for shipments to and from Cavern Harbor in the Undercity." He shakes his head. "I'm not going to pay them a damn copper! The city fees I pay for my shop are bad enough!"

Tuck remembers a potion with a peculiar label from his last visit, when he passed the time browsing the apothecary while Mutt was being treated. He moves over to the cluttered shelf where he last saw it, and after looking at several potions, he grabs another one and...

"Found it!" the kobold yells excitedly, as he holds it up for Spindle to inspect.

"Ha! I knew if anyone could find it in this mess, it'd be you, lad," Spindle replies with a grin.

JustinCase said:
Tuck shrugs as he hands over the potion.

"Caught the bragging bastard today," he refers to the doppelganger. "If he hadn't been so boastful, we wouldn't have known about this poor boy, and we certainly wouldn't have gotten him to you in time."

Carefully the kobold produces the poisoned dagger.

"There is still poison left on the blade we took from the killer. I suppose you need it?"
"Yes, that's the right one," Spindle says as he takes the potion and moves to Joseph. He puts the funnel back in the boy's mouth and pours in the potion. "It should work almost immediately."

The boy goes from breathing irregular shallow breaths to deep strong ones in a matter of minutes, as the potion takes effect. The boy's body relaxes and turns over in his sleep and begins to snore lightly. The color of his entire body goes completely back to normal.

"We should let him sleep," the apothecary says with a yawn. "He's had a tough day." He covers the boy with a blanket and sits back down in his chair. He looks very tired as stretches his old bones. "It's been a long day for me too. Lots of customers." Then he notices the dagger that Tuck is holding. "Hmm, that's not a normal blade by any means. It's likely magical." He takes an old box off a small table sitting near the chair and puts a clean handkerchief in the bottom of it. He waits for the urban ranger to put the dagger in the box and then examines it without touching it. "Yes, this dagger definitely delivers its poison magically. I've heard of such venom blades, but I've never seen one before. Nasty thing!" He closes the boxes lid and puts it back on the table. "I'll examine it more closely in the morning." He yawns again. "Good gods, what time is it?"

"It's probably closing in on midnight," Vinccenzo says, suddenly feeling very tired.

Neurotic said:
Ákos thinks for a second as if only now remembering.
"How much for that potion? While saving life is worthy cause, your work needs support."
JustinCase said:
Then, sheepishly, Tuck lowers his gaze when Akos asks how much the potion costs. "Or is there another way to repay your services?"
Spindle notes the looks on Ákos and Tucks faces. "Oh yes, payment. Well, let's not worry about that now. You can pay me later, if you don't have it." He pats Mutt on the head again and the dog sits next to a small crate the apothecary props his feet up on. "You're a good customer, Tuck. So, I'll only charge you half the price of what I normally would, for the potion, for someone else. 375 gold. Don't worry about the cost of the antitoxin. I always have tons of those.. in a crate somewhere, and often hand them out to the poor in the Undercity."

He yawns again. "While my shop isn't big and not that comfortable, you're welcome to find a spot to settle down for the night. That fog is too thick to walk home in, so I'm going to sleep right here. Ha!" He pulls a key from his pocket and hands it over to Tuck. "If you and your friends need to find a real bed, my lad, just lock the door on your way out and slip the key in the lockbox outside."

He smiles at Tuck and lays back in his chair. He's soon drifting off to sleep. Mutt whimpers and nuzzles the kobold urban ranger. The big dog looks like he's going to fall over.

OOC: Tuck knows that Spindle has a room in the back where two or three of them could "sack out" for the night. Tim would likely have to settle down near the front door.

In this part of Old City there are a few other inns that aren't as expensive as the Jade Butterfly. Both Tuck and Ákos know the information in the first spoiler listed below while Ákos knows the details in the second spoiler. This assumes you Take 10 and don't roll.

Vinccenzo's Take 10 is only 14.

The third spoiler is for Big Tim only.

If you guys want to head back to the manor that Oakfirst is letting your PCs use, one of you will need to make a successful Knowledge (local) check [DC 25] to find their way back through the fog. Tuck gets a +2 circumstance bonus on such a check. Going back to the manor will only cost you time.

There is a large inn back near the Mill of Hooves called the Keen Pearl, which is reasonably priced (for Old City) and might have a bed big enough for Tim. All the rooms are considered Good and the meals are either Good or Common, as per p. 129 of the PHB. You know the inn often carters to nobles and merchants and rich adventurers. It is run by a man named Damian Gil.

There are two other options on eastern side of the Cardinal Wall. One is close by but small. It caters to smaller folk and there wouldn't be a good option for Tim. (He'd have to find somewhere else or sleep in the stable with the ponies.) It's called the Tiny Duckling and is run by a halfling couple (Bavo and Rothaide Brownfoot) that made their fortune selling exotic cheeses. The breakfast they offer is heavenly! The prices are typically 50% higher than in the PHB and there are no Poor services, or ale. Cheese cost 4 times as much as normal, but it is really good.

The last option is a place called the Black Cat Tavern and it is close to South Gate Thicket. It's sits near the outer wall of the district and caters to a lot of travelers, especially adventurers. Prices are only 25% higher than normal for locals while visitors to the city must pay twice the normal rate. It provides all the lodging services listed in the PHB, as well as stabling for horses and the nonmagical services (except the road/gate toll, of course) listed under "Spellcasting and Services." The inn is run by a retired female rakasta adventurer named Maiya Raviron.

Both the Keen Pearl and the Black Cat are great places to hear the latest rumors circulating through Bluffside while the Tiny Duckling is more of a genteel place. Rumormongering is not allowed in the Tiny Duckling!

Ákos knows that the Tiny Duckling is what it appears to be and that adventurers are not welcome there. Also, its doors will be closed by now.

He also knows that owner of the Keen Pearl is a bit of a pretentious snob and might try to charge the group more just because of their disheveled appearance. The beds in the inn are rumored to be very comfortable, however. A good room comes with a hot meal and a bath.

The Black Cat can be a rowdy place and its doors never close. While the rooms there are clean, there isn't much space to go around. It's first come first serve unless you want to pay a premium (10 gp) for one of big rooms on the third floor. The food is fair to good (even the poor meals) and there is always a bard playing in the common room, at all hours. While there isn't a bath service, you can get barbered and the standard Good rooms comes with a wash basin.

Your PC could suggest heading to Terger's family home. It's closer than Oakfirst Manor and the DC to get there is only 10 with Big Tim guiding Tuck. You'd all have rooms for the night (and likely a meal in the morning) and it wouldn't cost the PCs anything.

Tim looks quizzically at Lady Delia as she leaves. His thoughts race as he considers her: ~Strange. Why did she touch me? Earlier, she said we all smelled, and made out as if to gag. I am also not very approachable to those who are unfamiliar with my background. Most people avoid even getting near me. But she touched me purposefully. Almost as if...~

Tim motions to Akos, "My friend, a word in private, if you don't mind."

"Did you see that? Lady Delia touched me as she left. I don't know why, but I feel that it was purposeful. Can you use your magical skills, to determine if she has marked me somehow, with some sort of magic? I'm not sure why, but I think she either wants to track our movements, or perhaps mark us for recognition to her allies. People don't just walk up and put their hands on perfect strangers, let alone giant half-ogres like myself. Something is amiss here."
Focusing on his giant companion, allowing his senses to go through the veil to hid fey side, the warlock detects magic focusing specially on the area touched.

Ooc: this is warlock ability, there is no obvious casting
Ákos notes the auras coming from Tim's armor, shield and sword. As the Loremaster concentrates on the spot where Lady Delia touched Tim's arm, he senses no additional aura on the half-ogre. It seems that it might have been a gesture of apology... or maybe something else?

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim produces a key of his own, along with a map, which were both being carried in his belt purse.

Tim says, "I have the key that Terger entrusted me with, to his family residence. It's not far from here, and I have this map. It will probably be much more comfortable there, and it won't cost us anything. What say you?"

Neurotic

"Sure. Unless we feel this place needs protection from the racketeers? In this fog." He smiles

"If the fog doesn't lift by the morning we should take Mani to Elites. And then check the thicket. I'd actually like to go right now if you're up to it."

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck quietly produces a big pouch full of coins from his deceptively small haversack, and carefully places exactly 375 gold pieces in stacks on the table by the venomous dagger, close to the sleeping Spindle. On a whim, the kobold also takes the unidentified potion the defeated assassin carried, and places it next to the pile of coins as a sort of bonus. Tuck scribbles a quick thank-you note, referring to the payment, and then he turns to the others.

"I need no bed, but it is nice to sleep somewhere comfortable and quiet. If you're sure we are all welcome, the Terger residence seems like a good spot!"

Unless anyone objects, Tuck moves everyone out (except Spindle and the sleeping boy), closes the door to the apothecary, and puts the key in the keybox as instructed. He takes his masterwork trapmaking tools from his sack and using only a small vial, pours a few drops of quickly-hardening syropy liquid into the lock on the door. It will remain solid for a few hours, preventing anyone from opening the lock before dawn.

OOC: Taking some liberties with what may be possible with the masterwork trapmaking tools, but I figured as a kobold it would be a logical step to take to keep Spindle a bit safer.

Scotley

Hero
Breva can't help but note the change in the Lady's demeanor, but doesn't know what to make of it. He watches the trick with the lock with interest. "Very creative," he says approvingly. Then he yawns despite his best efforts. "It has been a trying day. Perhaps we'd all benefit from a bit of rest before we try to tackle the thickets? I think we've asked enough of the good apothocary here. If the house is unused we'll be less trouble there. From the sound of it we may have a long day of searching thickets ahead of us."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim produces a key of his own, along with a map, which were both being carried in his belt purse.

Tim says, "I have the key that Terger entrusted me with, to his family residence. It's not far from here, and I have this map. It will probably be much more comfortable there, and it won't cost us anything. What say you?"
"Sure. Unless we feel this place needs protection from the racketeers? In this fog." He smiles

"If the fog doesn't lift by the morning we should take Mani to Elites. And then check the thicket. I'd actually like to go right now if you're up to it."
"I think it's a good idea," Vinccenzo agrees with Tim. He looks around the chaotic shop. "I'd hate to find someplace comfortable to rest in here." He looks at Ákos. "I do want to check out the thicket with you, but I think a little rest and food might do us some good. It wouldn't have to be all night. We do have to get Mani to the Lord Commander, so it... he can be locked up properly." He pauses. "The doppelganger might be more secure with my commanders in the Wizard District. The Sectarian Guard has ways of dealing with magical foes."

Tuck quietly produces a big pouch full of coins from his deceptively small haversack, and carefully places exactly 375 gold pieces in stacks on the table by the venomous dagger, close to the sleeping Spindle. On a whim, the kobold also takes the unidentified potion the defeated assassin carried, and places it next to the pile of coins as a sort of bonus. Tuck scribbles a quick thank-you note, referring to the payment, and then he turns to the others.

"I need no bed, but it is nice to sleep somewhere comfortable and quiet. If you're sure we are all welcome, the Terger residence seems like a good spot!"
Mutt wags his tail in agreement with his pack mate.

"It seems we can all use a short break," Vinccenzo replies with a grin. He looks at the boy and Spindle. "We can come back and check on them later. I'm sure once the door is locked, they'll be safe enough."

JustinCase said:
Unless anyone objects, Tuck moves everyone out (except Spindle and the sleeping boy), closes the door to the apothecary, and puts the key in the keybox as instructed. He takes his masterwork trapmaking tools from his sack and using only a small vial, pours a few drops of quickly-hardening syropy liquid into the lock on the door. It will remain solid for a few hours, preventing anyone from opening the lock before dawn.

OOC: Taking some liberties with what may be possible with the masterwork trapmaking tools, but I figured as a kobold it would be a logical step to take to keep Spindle a bit safer.
"Well, that solves that problem," Vinccenzo says, impressed.

OOC: I like it! :D

Breva can't help but note the change in the Lady's demeanor, but doesn't know what to make of it. He watches the trick with the lock with interest. "Very creative," he says approvingly. Then he yawns despite his best efforts. "It has been a trying day. Perhaps we'd all benefit from a bit of rest before we try to tackle the thickets? I think we've asked enough of the good apothocary here. If the house is unused we'll be less trouble there. From the sound of it we may have a long day of searching thickets ahead of us."
The fog continues to make the wide street around the apothecary's shop hard to see, but the outline of the Green Gate stands not too far away to the northeast. There will likely be a few Regulars guarding that gate, but the inner gate will likely stand open.

The tangles of the edge of the Jade Thicket lie just northwest of Spindle's shop. The old growth thicket lines the inner fortification known as the Green Wall. In the fog, the tangle of trees and brush looks... spooky. But surely it can't be dangerous in there, can it?

"I vote for some rest and a hot meal," Vinccenzo notes Ákos edging towards the thicket. Then he looks at Tim. "There will be food, right?"

OOC: Since Tim knows where the Simonis Estate is located, he can guide the PCs through the fog easier than if Tuck and Mutt were leading the way on their own. Tuck's Knowledge (local) check DC is only 10. Finding your way through the thicket won't be as easy. That will require either a Knowledge (local) check (DC 20) or a Survival check (DC 15). Even though the thicket exists within the walls of Old City, it is still considered an untamed location.

A Knowledge (geography) and/or Knowledge (nature) check (DC 20) can give clues to what the PCs might encounter (if anything) in the dense foliage of the Jade Thicket. ;)

Neurotic

"Well, if you're dead set for some rest aand food, I might be persuaded. It beats being just dead as someone tried several times today." Akos responds to the query

Last edited:

Remove ads