Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim says, to Oakfirst, continuing the conversation, "We've had quite the run, my lord, chasing down this "Mani," and placing him into cutody. But I fear we are just beginning. We cannot ignore this secret passage; we must see where it leads. Or to whom. Who's to say Phelix is the only sorcerer? There could be a cabal. Who's to say that Mani is the only doppelgänger? There could be a coven. From what I've seen, we need to be ready for anything. Especially ones like Mani, who can cast magicks without even speaking or waving their hands. I've never seen such a talented creature, able to use magic with but a thought. It troubles me, because I wonder if ANY cell is secure enough to hold him?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Falen:
Knowledge Arcana Check (per OOC communication) Full post coming later today.
While Lord Max believes the original Palace Construct was sentient, Falen has learned through his own research that the original construct was more like a half-iron, half-stone golem than a warforged. Yes, the design and functionality was inspired by the artificers of Sharn but inner workings didn't have a soul.

The mages that called Bluffside home back then was contracted by Jarman the Wise to help create the Palace Construct. These mages formed a bond during the process and the origins of the Wizard Council come from that camaraderie (and one-up-man-ship). Each of the schools of magic played a part in the design and functionality of the Palace Construct. What role the School of Necromancer took is a mystery that Falen was never able to figure out. Most of the other schools contributions were straightforward. (You can come up with them if you want.)

As for the Great Gate Construct that was built from the bones of the original construct, it is more clockwork creation than magical construct. At its core is steam power. It's fabrication is primarily dwarven but with some human restrictions and design elements. In truth, if The Five let the dwarves redesign it perfectly, it would likely work a bit better but it would cost a lot more to maintain. The current construct can do little more than rise out of the rift, open the gate, and pull the iron door into its chest. Falen is fairly certain it can't put it back!

Thus, when the Iron Gate is open, it is open for a long period of time. It will take either major brute force or powerful spells to move it back. Teleportation or dimensional shifting. Perhaps The Five have it moved back by hired stone giant workers brought in from the southern peaks of the Sundered Mountains. It will be costly to put the Iron Gate back, regardless.[/OOC]

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Falen:
Thinking to himself, "WHAT?! Doppleganger?!" A moment of surprise comes over him, barely noticeable, but there. His eyes dart toward the fighter called Tymbeck for a brief moment. And just as quickly, his confusion clears, "You are Sir Reginald Oakfirst, Lord Commander of the Regulars? My name is Falen; I will make this brief, so long as you do not jump to conclusions before you query me longer. I trade in information, and I have some that you should probably know, as the possession of such appears to be leaving corpses about the city. The handbills that are posted around the city are of Phelix Del Cannitha of Sharn. He leads the Dusk. And they are here. They use the Rising Swords and the Arreptitii, to what end I am exploring. But there is a pattern to be sure in their killings. They do not do so to foment unrest, nor do they do so indiscriminately. I understand there are serial killings; have the authorities, or perhaps you, connected the killings? If not, do you have a list of who they are and what they were in the community?" If pressed, Falen will only share that he trades in information, and he came upon this quite by accident in the course of a mission as a courier. However, he trusts the Lord who put him on this mission, so clearly he is intended to be here and ferret out more about it. He believes that the killings have similar roots as Legatus Avictus' killing. And knowing who these people were to the city, as well as to each other, it might be possible to find the common thread...and pull it. But he's not keen on sharing that sort of detail with Oakfirst just yet. Not before he knows who he is. He studies his visage as well, determined to put it to good use as well in the future. The doppleganger that his new acquaintance refers to might well be that thread; hence, his surprise. It would explain a lot. Especially regarding Scribe Amphion's odd appearance. "I'd like to meet this doppleganger."

"While on the subject, Lord Commander, do you have a Guard-Sergeant who carries the name 'Vonner'? I encountered him upon entering the city. I allowed him to fleece me of an agate such that I could spare his life. He will not be as fortunate if I encounter him again. He commanded a squad of "Regulars" that did not look like your people. Scruffy-looking mercenaries would be a polite description. Armed and armored vagabonds would be more accurate. Given the reputation of the "Rising Swords" as rather unkempt, he certainly looked the part. Thoughts?" This second part is simply a way to give Vonner the proverbial middle digit, even it is possible that Falen's assertion is actually accurate.

"By the way," Falen adds as an afterthought, "you do realize that getting that construct to close the gate is going to be difficult, right? There is a reason that it hasn't opened in decades. Simply put, the Five know it's difficult to close."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tim says, to Oakfirst, continuing the conversation, "We've had quite the run, my lord, chasing down this "Mani," and placing him into custody. But I fear we are just beginning. We cannot ignore this secret passage; we must see where it leads. Or to whom. Who's to say Phelix is the only sorcerer? There could be a cabal. Who's to say that Mani is the only doppelgänger? There could be a coven. From what I've seen, we need to be ready for anything. Especially ones like Mani, who can cast magicks without even speaking or waving their hands. I've never seen such a talented creature, able to use magic with but a thought. It troubles me, because I wonder if ANY cell is secure enough to hold him?"
Falen:
Thinking to himself, "WHAT?! Doppleganger?!" A moment of surprise comes over him, barely noticeable, but there. His eyes dart toward the fighter called Tymbeck for a brief moment. And just as quickly, his confusion clears...
"I hope you are wrong about the doppelganger and his ability to escape from his cell," Commander Oakfirst replies. "I don't think transferring him to one of the enhanced cells in the Palace will work any better. Moving him again could bring more attacks. But, if it becomes necessary, it would probably be better to have the Wizard Council lock him away in their district. I know they have special magical cells that can hold almost anything secure. But, again, we'd have to get him there. I'm sure one of the council could teleport the doppelganger to the Wizard District, but it's not up to me. The Five will decide what to do with him."

He pauses, lost in thought. "If Del Cannitha has a cabal of sorcerers on his side, the city is going to be hard pressed even with the help of the Wizard Council. And, so far, Phelix hasn't inflicted any harm in their district. Yes, some of the Regulars tower wizards were hurt in New City when the explosions went off, but it wasn't targeted at them... based on the evidence I've seen. Thus, they aren't as invested as The Five," He looks at Tim. "If you think the passageway will lead to the missing guards or even the sorcerer's Loyalists, then I will let you all take the lead in its exploration. Custodio and Arcanus Noguera will go with you, of course."

Aust Thale said:
"You are Sir Reginald Oakfirst, Lord Commander of the Regulars? My name is Falen; I will make this brief, so long as you do not jump to conclusions before you query me longer. I trade in information, and I have some that you should probably know, as the possession of such appears to be leaving corpses about the city. The handbills that are posted around the city are of Phelix Del Cannitha of Sharn. He leads the Dusk. And they are here. They use the Rising Swords and the Arreptitii, to what end I am exploring. But there is a pattern to be sure in their killings. They do not do so to foment unrest, nor do they do so indiscriminately. I understand there are serial killings; have the authorities, or perhaps you, connected the killings? If not, do you have a list of who they are and what they were in the community?"
Commander Oakfirst listens to Falen's words carefully. Falen can tell the old soldier isn't the sort to jump to conclusions but as the seer continues speaking, Oakfirst's face becomes increasingly grim. He raises an eyebrow when Falen mentions both the the Dusk and the Arreptitii. When Falen pauses for internal reflection, Oakfirst replies.

"That is a lot of information and I would like very much to know where you came by it. Yes, Phelix Del Cannitha is at large in Bluffside and wanted for numerous crimes. That's no secret and easily learned." He pauses and looks a Falen carefully. "However, while I've never heard of these Arreptitii, I have heard of the Dusk. They are a coalition of assassins that are infamous to say the least. They are guided by gold and zealotry and it wouldn't surprise me that the Renegade might have dealings with them since we know he's in league with the Rising Swords." He pauses again. "But, I've never seen any reports of the Dusk working with the Rising Swords. In many ways, the two groups are rivals." He looks towards the guard post where the prisoners are being held. "I wonder..."

He shakes his head. "The leader of the Dusk is a woman who goes by the name Shamiram. The reports I've seen on her is that she is originally from Assylonia, which is near Khasan and the other Dragonwalk Cities. She is believed to be ancient and skills beyond mortal means. A demigoddess if the reports are to be believed. I find it very unlikely that Del Cannitha, as powerful as he is, has managed to take over the Dusk from her. However, if he has hired members of the Dusk, it would be very bad for Bluffside if they are indeed here, as you say."

Aust Thale said:
If pressed, Falen will only share that he trades in information, and he came upon this quite by accident in the course of a mission as a courier. However, he trusts the Lord who put him on this mission, so clearly he is intended to be here and ferret out more about it. He believes that the killings have similar roots as Legatus Avictus' killing. And knowing who these people were to the city, as well as to each other, it might be possible to find the common thread...and pull it. But he's not keen on sharing that sort of detail with Oakfirst just yet. Not before he knows who he is. He studies his visage as well, determined to put it to good use as well in the future. The doppleganger that his new acquaintance refers to might well be that thread; hence, his surprise. It would explain a lot. Especially regarding Scribe Amphion's odd appearance.
"I'd like to meet this doppleganger."
Oakfirst steps closer to Falen. "You really need to tell me where you came across this information. Right now."

Falen can sense the man will brook no deceit on Falen's part. It is not menace but concern that guides the man's insistence. As Falen spins his story about being a courier, he has a gut feeling that his freedom is on the line if the Lord Commander doesn't believe him. Falen pushes the story into the absurd without intending to do so. It's quite the tale once he's done. If he is going to jail, at least it was with a flourish. But, once he finishes and asks to see the doppelganger, Commander Oakfirst's visage shifts to what it was before.

"Amazing, it sounds like you've had quite the week! I'm shocked you were able to get here without being waylaid by pirates. It's too bad you lost that chest overboard. It sounds like it could have netted you a small fortune. Yet, here you are and with valuable information too. I thank you. It might save lives. I'll make sure a writ is made out in your name for, what do you think Custodio, 500 gold? Is that enough?"

"I think we need to find out if the Dusk are actually here in Bluffside first, but if you feel he should be paid up front, it's your decision commander."

"Prudent," Oakfirst muses. "Yes, lets say 100 gold up front and the rest once we're sure the Dusk are here." He looks at Falen. "I'm sorry to say that I can't authorize you being able to see the doppelganger. If you stick around and help these other fine adventurers locate Del Cannitha and bring him to justice, I'm sure you'll have a chance to see the creature." He looks at Vinccenzo and Tim. "From what I understand, he's unconscious right now and likely will be for some time."

Falen - Bluff check: 1D20+1 = [4]+1 = 5
Oakfirst - Sense Motive check: 1D20+1 = [2]+1 = 3 (fails)
:oops: :oops: :oops:

I don't believe it! :ROFLMAO:

You get a bonus of 500 XP for telling the truth but not the whole truth. If any of the other PCs choose to roll a Sense Motive check, I'll let you roll a Bluff check with a +2 luck bonus.

Aust Thale said:
"While on the subject, Lord Commander, do you have a Guard-Sergeant who carries the name 'Vonner'? I encountered him upon entering the city. I allowed him to fleece me of an agate such that I could spare his life. He will not be as fortunate if I encounter him again. He commanded a squad of "Regulars" that did not look like your people. Scruffy-looking mercenaries would be a polite description. Armed and armored vagabonds would be more accurate. Given the reputation of the "Rising Swords" as rather unkempt, he certainly looked the part. Thoughts?" This second part is simply a way to give Vonner the proverbial middle digit, even it is possible that Falen's assertion is actually accurate.
"Sergeant Vonner!" Oakfirst spits on the ground. "I kicked that fool out of the Regulars over a year ago. I would have had him and half his team swinging by a noose if the Lord Mayor hadn't intervened. I doubt he's working for the Rising Swords. They, at least, have some sense of honor." Oakfirst sighs. "I really hope Captain Shantilayla didn't make the mistake of bringing him back into the Regulars of New City." He throws up his hands in disgust. "I know The Five are giving her more freedom than Captain Cowden had as head of the Dungeon and for the protection of New City, but if she's willing to go against my wishes this much, I'm going to have to go have a serious discussion with her!" He shakes his head before looking at Falen. "Where was this? New City, right? He always did like to accost people arriving in the city after coming up from the Undercity on the steam lifts."

Aust Thale said:
"By the way," Falen adds as an afterthought, "you do realize that getting that construct to close the gate is going to be difficult, right? There is a reason that it hasn't opened in decades. Simply put, the Five know it's difficult to close."
Oakfirst is taken aback by Falen's knowledge of the Iron Gate. He looks at Custodio and the Elite guard just shakes his head.

"You are very well versed in our city, Mr. Falen," Oakfirst says. "Is this is your first time in Bluffside or do you trade information here regularly? If so, you're going to want to make sure you have an official permit from one of the local guilds. It's not a big deal and won't cost you very much and you won't have to join... unless you want to broker information about adamantine or other sensitive information. That falls under the strict guidelines set out by the Adamantine Security Council and The Five. Also, I must insists that you don't go around selling information about Bluffside's defenses... even the politically motivated ones." He crosses his arms. "And don't sell any information about The Five even if you can prove it's true. That will get you locked away in a place that even I won't be able to get you out of. Understood?"

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck follows the conversation with interest, rubbing his dog Mutt behind the ear absentmindedly. Then, seeming to remember his manners, he seizes a lull in the conversation and moves up to Falen.

"Name's Tuck," the kobold says, "And this is my friend Mutt. Careful, he's a fierce one!"

In complete contrast to Tuck's words, Mutt moves up to Falen with his tail wagging and his nose pressing against the man's hand, almost begging for a cuddle...

"So," Tuck continues to everyone, "Are we going into the tunnel, or moving straight for the sorcerer's lair? I've got some more things to do, but this is our first priority."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"We'll take Mr Falen with us. He seems to know much and obviously knows about Loyalists. It is not quite obvious, but Arreptitii in Ticin means 'The fanatics' or with a bit of imagination 'The loyalists'. And he can do his task of uncovering The Dusk with some help. Even if it means he needs to help us follow our own threads."

Turning to Falen
"As I said before, we can help you meet with The Commander. We can exchange info on the way. If you're looking into serial killers or misterious disappearances, we have some leads. Old City Killer is captured and he is just derranged artist, he has nothing to do with those you seek or his own kind."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"So," Tuck continues to everyone, "Are we going into the tunnel, or moving straight for the sorcerer's lair? I've got some more things to do, but this is our first priority."
"I vote for Waldo's lair," Custodio says. "But I've been absent from the group so I'll let you decide. The crystalline flower, the is back at the Lord Commander's old childhood home. I had it when we left there to go the Gardens yesterday morning, but I dropped it off there for safekeeping before going to check and make sure the Lord Commander and the others were okay."

Custodio turns to Akos. "Did you figure out the correct phrase to use with that flower to get into Waldo's planar hideout? I remember you were working on it." The Elite Guard looks towards the guard post. "Maybe this is another way in... a safer way?"

OOC: Copied and expanded from previous post...
By going over the phrases, Akos is fairly certain (lets say 98%) that illumination is the trigger that will open the portal to Phelix's Enclave, but it won't be a light in the dark but, instead, be "An Intense Flame under a Dark Moon." Most likely something to do with flames touching the bloom and madness around the eyes (either literal insanity or a successful Perform check [DC 20]).

Custodio's previous stated information about Evocation magic makes Akos think of the Dancing Lights cantrip but that won't be powerful enough. the 1st-level spell, Burning Hands, might be a better choice, but Akos thinks any low-level fire spell will do to ignite the bloom and open the portal. He has a sense that the more powerful the spell chosen the longer the portal will remain open (likely 1 to 4 minutes per spell level [roll 1d4]).

However, if the flames are too hot, the bloom will be consumed (requires a Spellcraft check [DC 25]) and the group will have to find another way to get back from the demiplane. If the Spellcraft check fails by 5 or more, the bloom will be used up. If the check succeed by more than 5 but less than 10, add 1 minute for the portal being opened. If it succeeds by 10 to 15, add 2 minutes, etc. Any spell that enhances a character's skill check can be used to make the portal stay open longer. (Relgar was fairly certain that it wouldn't stay open for longer than 20 minutes.)

(Akos is 100% certain it is a demiplane in the Ethereal Plane. It might be possible to get back through the Ethereal Plane or even the Shadowstar Sea but the Loremaster isn't 100% sure. He is sure that the group can't get there through the Ethereal Plane.)

The group has learned from the research that both Relgar and Akos did that there is another bloom in the Museum of Sem La Vah (located in Old City), and while the bloom does grow out in the wilds of the ruins, it is very rare and tends to attract earth-based monsters (and deadly plants) to it due to its crystalline nature and magical properties. The blooms grow individually not in clusters. As far as the Tenders know, the flower doesn't exist in the Gardens.

"I did not come under attack from the sorcerer's Loyalists," Oakfirst notes. "Neither did Lady Pomander. Del Cannitha likely didn't have the men to spare after you lopped off some of his hydra's heads." He pauses. "That reminds me. Custodio told me that you suspect Barclay Winton, the owner of The Crossed Candles, of being in league with the Renegade."

"His real name is Kelik and he runs a thieves guild out of that building," Vincenzzo says. "At least, that's what the doppelganger told us."

That name makes Tuck remember the three assassins that wanted to kill Relgar. They'd followed him, Akos, and Relgar through the streets of New City and then attacked them in the Silverbow Inn. There had been a woman named Teresa and a human named Shylock. The other assassin died nameless. A group of Elites had arrived after the fight was won and Shylock was taken into custody. The woman got away but vowed to seek vengeance against Akos in the future. Teresa had bragged that her guild would kill all of Relgar's friends and allies including Tim, Custodio, Lady Émilienne, Sir Oakfirst, and Lady Pomander. Émilienne had come under attack on the road between Old City and the Wizard District but she managed to fight off her attackers with a handful of Sectarians. Loyalists tried to ambush Breva, Tim, and Custodio in the streets of Old city, but it didn't go well for the attackers. Tuck isn't sure what happened to those foes. Were they all killed? He tries to remember what Shylock and Teresa said.

"I wish I could say that is a surprise," Oakfirst says. "Barclay seemingly came out of nowhere several years ago and set up his candle and wax shop with great fanfare. His wares have become a favorite of the nobles of Old City." He pauses. "I've always suspected there is more to that man than a simple shop owner. He loves to spin a story and seems to know of things happening in the district before they become public knowledge. Not criminal things, mind you." He rubs his chin thoughtfully. "I've had his shop under surveillance for almost six months now but we've never been able to catch him at anything illegal. If he is running a thieves guild, my watchers haven't found any signs of it."

"Or they are being paid off," Custodio suggests.

"Not every member of the Bluffside Regulars are on the take, young man!" Oakfirst snaps. "Besides, the Elites watching the shop are being helped by the Dark Lanterns."

"Terger?"

"No, he's still fighting the Graythorns alongside the Bluffside Mountain Rangers out near Rockgrave Keep. That death cult is causing all sorts of trouble in the Aarzen Valley. The elves of Ravensilath have gotten involved and their help has kept the Graythorns at bay. My latest reports note that Rhodes is still out there too, even though Terger let him go. He and Terger have become quite the fighting team."

"We'll take Mr Falen with us. He seems to know much and obviously knows about Loyalists. It is not quite obvious, but Arreptitii in Ticin means 'The fanatics' or with a bit of imagination 'The loyalists'. And he can do his task of uncovering The Dusk with some help. Even if it means he needs to help us follow our own threads."
"So these Arreptitii are the Loyalists. That's good to know," Oakfirst says. "We don't need any more new evil bastards running around Bluffside. Let's hope The Dusk are not here but be prepared in case they come out from shadows. My reports on their organization have always indicated that they never attack in the day and that they never attack en masse like the Rising Swords. They are subtle yet deadly."

"Maybe they killed the Lord Mayor," Custodio suggests.

"That is a possibility," Oakfirst agrees. "Something to let The Five know. I've already told them that Phel-, excuse me, Waldo might be targeting them all for death. They're bolstering they personal guards, although they are going to have fewer options with the Bluffside Militia now activated."

"When did that happen?" Roland asks.

"Right after learning the Lord Mayor was killed. Lady Pomander made the suggestion and all but Lord Blander agreed. Lord Commander Simonis cast the vote for the deceased Lord Mayor." He sighs. "It takes a bit of time to get the militia ready to go into service. You won't see them on the streets likely until tomorrow evening." Oakfirst notes the disgruntled looks on the faces of the Regulars. "I expect you all to work with them and help them when required. Yes, they won't have the same ranks as you all but don't go lording over them."

"Yes sir," Herleva says. Akos notes a lack of enthusiasm in her voice.

Neurotic said:
Turning to Falen
"As I said before, we can help you meet with The Commander. We can exchange info on the way. If you're looking into serial killers or mysterious disappearances, we have some leads. Old City Killer is captured and he is just deranged artist, he has nothing to do with those you seek or his own kind."
"Hmm, from what Tim told me, Del Cannitha might have doppelgangers in his employ. Are you sure they aren't in league with this Mani?" Oakfirst asks. "Tim said he knows of them and they might know of him."

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Might know OF Mani . While I cannot be perfectly aboslutely sure, I believe he is derranged even for their standards. And too much public exposure is bad for all of them."
Akos answers the question about opening of the portal and part of his words are directed at the Lord Commander.
"I believe I know how to open the portal, but it won't last long. So it would be quick in and out. Or we get trapped in the plane with the sorcerer and hope it survives his death. It would be great if we could get access to Plane Shift scroll or two just in case. And if someone could cast powerful fire spell at the portal, I'll do the rest."

Looking back toward the guardhouse.
"I think we should explore the tunnel first. It may be leading us into the thieves guild and have nothing to do with our target. But given the resources he put into causing chaos...it may be an alternate entrance...or exit."

Remove ads