Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Might know OF Mani . While I cannot be perfectly absolutely sure, I believe he is deranged even for their standards. And too much public exposure is bad for all of them."
"Hmm, yes, doppelgangers are a secretive bunch," Oakfirst muses. "I came across one out in the wilds of the valley once over 25 years ago, but he wasn't a vicious killer... just a hunter after stag. He didn't like being questioned though and once my patrol decided he wasn't a threat, weo let him go and he ran off as quickly as he appeared. We never saw him again, well, not that we know of."

"I don't believe they are inherently evil," Custodio suggests. "Well, I'm not an expert, so whose to say if all doppelgangers are alike. Mani is certainly deranged and I think he's evil to the core. If there are doppelgangers working for Waldo, I doubt they're good or sane."

Akos answers the question about opening of the portal and part of his words are directed at the Lord Commander.
"I believe I know how to open the portal, but it won't last long. So it would be quick in and out. Or we get trapped in the plane with the sorcerer and hope it survives his death. It would be great if we could get access to Plane Shift scroll or two just in case. And if someone could cast powerful fire spell at the portal, I'll do the rest."
"Let's try not to get trapped," Custodio says. "I'm sure the Wizard Council would have such scrolls and they could be... encouraged to donate them to the cause." He looks at his commander.

Oakfirst nods. "I will ask Lady Pomander to get you the scrolls. She has some magical ability herself, so she might have something in her home in case the council gets their feathers all ruffled and refuse to help." He looks casually at Vinnny. "It seems they are holding back a bit. They are concerned about Del Cannitha, of course, but they seem to think the Renegade is best left to the Regulars and this team."

Looking back toward the guardhouse.
"I think we should explore the tunnel first. It may be leading us into the thieves guild and have nothing to do with our target. But given the resources he put into causing chaos...it may be an alternate entrance...or exit."
"The tunnel is a potential source of further trouble. we should at least see where, or to whom , it goes to" Vinny chimes in with his opinion.
Tim nods in agreement, "Agreed, we cannot let this go uninvestigated; even if it doesn't lead us to Waldo, it might lead us to some of his cronies."
"I'll leave you to it then," Oakfirst says. He shakes hands and pats backs before leaving the post under the supervision of the Regulars and your group of heroes. Before he leaves, he scratches Mutt on the top of the dog's head and says to Falen. "If you have any more information for me, look for me at the Palace or the Tribunal." He pauses and looks at each of you before continuing to speak. "I do have to head to the Military District for a few days, but if you have something urgent, just send Custodio. Paperwork is piling up and I need to attend to some security matters for the entire valley. Good luck!"

"Thank you, sir," Custodio says.

Oakfirst nods.

"So, I looked at the hole in the floor and dropped a torch down there," Arcanus Noguera says. "I didn't get a good look before the Lord Commander shooed me out, but it doesn't look too deep." She pauses. "I have to tell you, I'm not much of a fighter. Almost all my spells are divinations and a few protection spells. If there is danger, I won't be able to do much fighting."

The young arcanus leads the way into the guard post and enters the cell with the hole cut out of it. Solomon glares at her and then at Tim. Mambru stands in the other cell with his back against one wall. Narzissa lies on the cell's old cot with her face towards the wall. She doesn't even flinch when the group enters the guard post. The guard Daithí has been watching them while the group was speaking to Oakfirst.

"We have Tim for the really dangerous foes," Custodio replies. "He can handle it, and I'm a decent fighter. Don't worry about it. Stick with the Loremaster and the Sectarian..." He turns to Vinccenzo. "You said your name was Vinn, right?"

"Uhm, is the dog coming with us?" She says as Mutt comes up next to her and growls at Solomon. She pats the dog on the head and he wags his tale.

The evil cleric steps back from the bars and the dog's teeth. Roland takes a shift watching the prisoners and Daithí heads outside to start dealing with a few peddlers passing through the gate. Sergeant Herleva starting going through the post's incomplete and shoddy paperwork.

"I wouldn't even try to separate him from Tuck," Custodio says with a laugh. He looks back to see the kobold urban ranger enter the post alongside the newcomer, Falen. The two of them seem to be getting along well, or, at least, there isn't any friction between them. Custodio takes a look down the opening to the passageway below. "Hmm, no footholds." He notes Breva's rope tied to the bars of the cell. "I see you were already planning on heading down before Oakfirst and I arrived." He looks at Tim through the bars. "It's going to be a tight squeeze for you, my friend." He smiles at the big knight.

"So, who is going first?" The Elite guard asks.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Oh, but consider the beast closed in with the cleric in a small cell...until he breaks...or the dog goes hungry."
Akos shows a bit of imagination and a disturbing little smile as his fey side asserts itself for a moment...
OOC: <craft disturbing mental image> ranks 10 :p

before he shakes it off, glaring at Solomon.
"Of course, that's something Unseelie would do, not I. Lucky you, cleric...but I can still Plane Shift you there if you don't behave."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"I'll go first," Tuck says definitively. "I know tunnels."

He does not need to refer to his race, and that kobolds are more comfortable in narrow underground tunnels than any other race except, perhaps, dwarves. And as a kobold, Tuck knows that any tunnel that hides something or someone, is bound to have traps.

His own tunnel has. Many, many traps.

Before moving down, he thoroughly checks the tunnel entrance and everything he can see. When satisfied, he takes a pebble and tosses it down first, before calling over Mutt to see and smell if there's anything he missed.

OOC: Search for traps: 1D20+15 = [20]+15 = 35

Darn, being thorough is right! If there are any traps, Tuck finds them. :)

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tim allows Tuck to go first; as soon as the landing area is pronounced safe, Tim grabs the rope and squeezes his big form into the hole, climbing down to the confines of the tunnel; he fits, but there's not a lot of wiggle room.

Tim says, in a quiet tone, "I'm right behind you, the whole way. I'll never be more than 10 feet behind you. If you see enemies, get behind me and let me face the assault. That's what I do."

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Down into the Unknown:
"Oh, but consider the beast closed in with the cleric in a small cell...until he breaks...or the dog goes hungry."
Akos shows a bit of imagination and a disturbing little smile as his fey side asserts itself for a moment...
OOC: <craft disturbing mental image> ranks 10 :p
The arcanus's face blanches as she considers what Akos suggests. Sergeant Herleva looks up from her paperwork and glares at the Loremaster. She wags her finger at him disapprovingly.

Neurotic said:
before he shakes it off, glaring at Solomon.
"Of course, that's something Unseelie would do, not I. Lucky you, cleric...but I can still Plane Shift you there if you don't behave."
Solomon's unbending glare quickly turns into one of uncertainty. He looks at Akos and then at Mutt. The big dog grows at him and the cleric's eyes betray his internal worries.

"I'll go first," Tuck says definitively. "I know tunnels."

He does not need to refer to his race, and that kobolds are more comfortable in narrow underground tunnels than any other race except, perhaps, dwarves. And as a kobold, Tuck knows that any tunnel that hides something or someone, is bound to have traps.

His own tunnel has. Many, many traps.

Before moving down, he thoroughly checks the tunnel entrance and everything he can see. When satisfied, he takes a pebble and tosses it down first, before calling over Mutt to see and smell if there's anything he missed.
The entrance isn't trapped. Tuck is certain of that. He can see the arcanus's torch down below, but it likely won't stay lit long. He can see that the floor is damp and the pebble he tosses down doesn't bounce very high, maybe a half-a-foot off the floor of the tunnel. He can smell mold wafting up from down below even before Mutt comes up next to him. The dog sticks his nose into the hole. Mutt doesn't seem to smell anything dangerous, but he is quite interested in exploring down below. He lifts his head and barks at Tuck once with his tongue hanging out.

It's an easy climb for Tuck and he is soon down in the tunnel. No, it's actually a small chamber that is 10 feet wide and 15 feet long. There are four sets of doors. A set of double doors stand partially open to the north. The doors open outward into what looks like a 15-ft-long choke point that is only 8 feet wide. The other three exits from the room are all single doors on each wall.

Mutt whines from up above and barks twice. The big dog jumps down from above and almost lands on top of Tuck. While the dog's jump isn't graceful, Mutt doesn't hurt himself. He comes up off the floor a big damp. The floor isn't slick but it could be tricky to run on if a fight breaks out. Mutt shakes himself and then puts his nose to the floor and begins going through the room. He stops near the open double doors but doesn't rush away. Instead, he moves towards the western door and sniffs at the crack under the door. He begins to growl.

OOC: @JustinCase, have Tuck make a Listen check.

JustinCase said:
OOC: Search for traps: 1D20+15 = [20]+15 = 35
Darn, being thorough is right! If there are any traps, Tuck finds them. :)
OOC: That's considered a 45, so yeah, if there had been traps, he'd have found them. I'm going to extend that Search check to the first room Tuck finds himself in. Tuck can tell that none of the doors are trapped and that there aren't any traps in the floor or on the walls. None of the doors are locked but the western door appears to be stuck.

Tim allows Tuck to go first; as soon as the landing area is pronounced safe, Tim grabs the rope and squeezes his big form into the hole, climbing down to the confines of the tunnel; he fits, but there's not a lot of wiggle room.
Tim finds the way down to be tight and tedious. Without the rope, he'd have fallen for sure. As it is, his fingers slip on the rope and nearly faceplants on top of Mutt. The dog barks at him and then goes back to growling at the door he's standing in front of. Tuck is standing next to big dog and trying to pull him away from the door, so Tim a place to come down safely. Tim is soon standing over Mutt. The room is damp, yet Tim has to be careful to not step on the arcanus's torch.

Tellerian Hawke said:
Tim says, in a quiet tone, "I'm right behind you, the whole way. I'll never be more than 10 feet behind you. If you see enemies, get behind me and let me face the assault. That's what I do."
Vinccenzo takes his turn going down the hole without much fanfare, though it is mainly to get his guard up
"Is there any room for us down there?" Custodio says. His voice resounds through the chamber, but it isn't overtly loud. The small room seems to act as an echoing chamber.

Vinccenzo doesn't wait for the answer. He slides down the rope and comes to land right next to Tuck near the open double doors. There is very little light, as the torch has become damp and is only embers now. Then Tim accidentally steps on the torch and crushes it under his foot. The light goes out and Vinny can no longer see.

OOC: While I should make you guys roll Climb checks (DC 5) to climb down successfully with the rope without falling, I'm not going to worry about it. Too much dice rolling.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Both Tuck and Tim can see that there are two statues against the walls flanking the center of the room. The statues are 20 feet into the room and they look like winged beasts. Neither one of them appears to be moving but the two adventurers are sure if they are just statues or something... else.

OOC: I forgot to put the statues on the map. Just a sec.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
With a weary sigh, the priest of the Seelie queen gets down, slowly, carefully, and with lots of quiet cursing and too tight clinging on the rope.

Once down, he looks at the dirt floor and with another sigh, the armor unfolds around him as he hitches his robes higher in hopes of keeping them clean for at least moments more.

Remove ads