Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tuck is relieved to be back in the city. His city.

Somehow the world beyond the city walls seems alien and inhospitable, despite the very real dangers he knows lurk in Bluffside; the city is what he knows, the good and the bad. It's as if he feels everything; the people in their houses, the stones in the streets, the animals and plants flourishing between the cracks, the cellars and tunnels beneath it all...

He sighs, promising himself not to leave Bluffside again except in the most dire of situations.
Mutt seems just as happy to be back in the city. Even with Tuck guiding him, the big dog is constantly sniffing the air. He is eager to greet the youngsters who follow along laughing. Tuck can hear a few of them say "he's fierce," but with smiles on their faces. One boy reaches up and hands the kobold ranger some special treats that his mother made for the big dog. It seems Mutt is becoming as much of a celebrity as the rest of the Exemplars.

JustinCase said:
So when Florrie encounters them and begins talking about trouble, despite his worries about Sylemis and the others, the kobold urban ranger is happy to be on a mission again.

"Seems like your suspicions about that well are correct," he says to Akos, his reptilian face smiling although few would recognize it.

"Can you take us to that place?"
Loremaster enjoyed the interaction with the nobles, but he enjoys the city more than rustic charm of noble manors.
Hearing about the loss of Master Sylemis, his initial reaction was to go there, but his mind quickly turns over several other options.

"He knew it was possibly dangerous. And we cannot assume he is in danger, that thicket and the well is connected to the Fey realm. He may be perfectly safe and carousing on the other side. If that was a priority for the group, we would have gone ourselves. Can we risk going even for one such as Sylemis if that means leaving other...difficulties...unaddressed?"
Florrie is surprised by Akos' reaction... then annoyed. "Well, if you're not going to look for him, can you at least try to get Lord Commander Oakfirst to put a few of the Elites on trying to find them... just in case you're wrong and something has actually happened to them."

"We probably should check in with the commander," Custodio agrees. "He might have more information about The Crossed Candles and what might actually be going on there. Plus, we might want to let him know what Nathaniel had to say, not that I have much faith in his opinions."

"He seems to be spending most of his time in the Military District," Florrie notes. "Well, that's what we've heard on the streets over the last few days. But he has been spotted at the Tribunal as well. Daily duties."

The young Lantern walks back towards Stormgrove in a huff.

"Let's hope he's at the Tribunal," Custodio says. "I'd rather not go through the politics of the Military District. Or maybe we should just head for this, so called, thieves' guild and see what we can uncover."

The young Vanquisher cleric waits for Tuck to take the lead through the streets of Old City.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Florrie is surprised by Akos' reaction... then annoyed. "Well, if you're not going to look for him, can you at least try to get Lord Commander Oakfirst to put a few of the Elites on trying to find them... just in case you're wrong and something has actually happened to them."
Akos frowns at the reaction. While he's not above taking a critique, this one was...impertinent youth. Some education might be in order.
"Don't take my answer for uncaring, young one. I am deeply invested in his well being and the good of the city. I'm the one that alleviated his symptoms somewhat. And I would LOVE to go into the thicket. But the city is in grave peril and we may not have the luxury of time. So, keep your outrage and try to think clearly. You're talking about the mightiest druid in the city. He is not some helpless old man. Would you prefer we go look for him and return to see you in the service of del'Cannitha?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Custodio listens to Akos' admonishment of young Florrie and nods his head. Florrie, however, doesn't respond to Akos' words before she walks away in a huff. "I think she's more worried about Gerey than Sylemis. He's not as young as he used to be, and I think she worries about him like a child worries about a grandparent."

He glances towards her as she goes back into the manor house. "But I think you're right, we need to concentrate on the Renegade and getting into his blasted enclave. I wish we still had that damn crystalline flower. Maybe the lord commander was able to find a replacement for it?"

"No sense waiting around," Vinny suggests. "I say we check at the Tribunal and if he's not there, we investigate the candle shop ourselves."

Custodio nods in agreement.

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck reluctantly agrees with Akos; Sylemis and Gerey have chosen this mission for themselves and are quite capable.

"Right," he says simply, as if his opinion on the matter means a lot. "I'll take us to the Tribunal then."

Instead of moving straight away, the kobold stares at his loyal dog for a few moments, lost in thought. Then he takes one of the treats the boy in the street gave him, and hand it to a very enthusiastic Mutt, which devours the sweetness as if it hasn't been fed in years.

"Maybe..." he muses softly, then raises his voice. "Can we send someone with Mutt to see if his nose can pick up Sylemis' scent? I'd rather not send him alone."

He grins again. "You know, because his fierceness might scare off friend and foe alike."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I'm surprised by that girl's attitude. I think Gerey is tougher than she knows," Big Tim notes to Akos. The big half-ogre knight shakes his head. "She shouldn't worry so much about him. He did volunteer; if he couldn't handle it, he would have l et someone else go with Sylemis."

Tim turns to Tuck. "We could get Sylemis's second to go with Mutt. Huverel. He should still be in the manor."

Custodio motions to Sobla. "Why not get someone Mutt knows better." He turns to ask the driver, Miles. "Mr. Drake, can you spare your assistant for the rest of the day? We'll pay you for her time."

"Hmm, I guess I can spare her," the driver replies. "But only for today."

"Yes, I'll go with him!" Sobla says excitedly.

"A good choice," Tim agrees. "But if you get into trouble, young one, come back here."

Sobla nods to Tim.

"It's okay, right?" She asks Tuck.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Tuck looks at Sobla seriously, considering.

"Promise me you don't get into trouble," he says sincerely, not elaborating on the dangers she might face. "Find us here or at the Tribunal immediately when you're done."

With a wink, he adds in the kobold dialect of Draconic, "Stay hidden, stay safe."

Then he turns around and motions for the others to follow him to the Tribunal.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tuck looks at Sobla seriously, considering.

"Promise me you don't get into trouble," he says sincerely, not elaborating on the dangers she might face. "Find us here or at the Tribunal immediately when you're done."
"I promise," she replies seriously.

JustinCase said:
With a wink, he adds in the kobold dialect of Draconic, "Stay hidden, stay safe."
She grins and replies in draconic. "Always."

Sobla leads Mutt towards the Green Gateway. The big dog follows her enthusiastically for nearly a block before he realizes that Tuck isn't coming with them. He stops and turns around to look at his kobold pack mate with concerned eyes. Sobla comes back and gives the big dog a hug to reassure him. Tuck watches for a moment. Mutt finally goes with the young kobold down the block and out of sight.

JustinCase said:
Then he turns around and motions for the others to follow him to the Tribunal.
The way through Old City is simple enough. You've walked these streets enough times to find your way to the Tribunal without getting lost. Tuck has even found several short cuts that gets you there even sooner. The city's courts are a lot more quiet than your used to and there is a lot more security at the open-air tribunal. New construction is being built to wall off key areas, so that the court isn't as easy to get into without going through a checkpoint. Your fame as the Exemplars cuts the red tape in half and you are allowed into the open-air amphitheatre with a half-a-dozen questions and a true seeing spell cast by an elderly human wizard that Vinny recognizes.

"That's Dhalenor Albirdieu," the Sectarian says in a low voice once your past the checkpoint. "He's a longtime member of the House of Divination. He retired from public life over four decades ago."

"Well, he doesn't look retired now," Custodio notes. "Likely he was called back into service. It's not surprising with all that's been going on."

You find the lord commander debating with a warrior about outlaws causing problems outside the city.

"I need more soldiers, Lord Commander," the man says to Oakfirst. "The Mountain Rangers can't be everywhere. We're fighting a losing battle against these bandits. They've been recruiting humanoid deserters from Khogshk and giants from the Kniyan Mounts."

"I understand, Lord Richbrand," Oakfirst replies calmly. "But I just don't have any squads I can spare right now. You're going to have to make due with the forces you've got, for now. Old City is near its breaking point and now that New City is no longer under martial law, the patrols must get back to normal there as well."

The man looks like he's going to start shouting but a stern look from Oakfirst tells the man not to raise his voice. He sighs and shakes his head. "Can you spare me at least one good scout I can send to Westcairn, or maybe Ambris, to seek reinforcements? A really good rider?"

Oakfirst rubs his chin thoughtfully and nods. "There is a young half-elven woman named Tamleria whose one of the best riders I've seen in some time. She's not a Regular, yet. She's only a recruit. Still, she's eager and she's not much for city life." He pauses once he sees the Exemplars. He nods to them and then looks back at the Richbrand. "I'll fast-track her into the Regulars and have her assigned to the rangers, for now. She's only to act as a messenger. No dangerous mountain missions, understood?"

"Yes sir," Richbrand says with a salute. He notes the Exemplars with a raised eyebrow as he leaves.

Once the man is gone, Oakfirst calls you over. "I got your message about young Nathaniel Aceron. Did you get him to his estate safely? Was he able to tell you anything useful?"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Akos focuses shortly and silvery plates of his armor roll back revealing the man underneath. Intense eyes focus on the commander.

"We heard plenty, Lord Commander. And you won't like what we have to say."
Akos nods toward the group "I'll start, feel free to interrupt or correct me if I get something wrong."
He proceeds to narrate the events from finding the noble, his behaviour (despicable), the list of people on the manor and the story behind each as they know it before (finally) coming to the gritty details of corruption, clearly delineates what they know for sure, what they heard from two or more sources (such as candle shop) and what came from young Aceron heir.

OOC: do I have to hunt through or can we say Akos knows the details?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
OOC: do I have to hunt through or can we say Akos knows the details?
OOC: I'd say Akos knows most of the details. I'll clarify more in my next post.

If you want, make a Knowledge (local) check to remember all the key details. If you get at least a 20, Akos manages to remember the important details that Oakfirst should know. I noticed you have a score of +11, so you can just Take 10, if you prefer.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases