Kulan: Knightfall's Crisis in Bluffside Game [OOC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
@Envisioner : lets try this. You need to pick the letter A from the jumble of 9 letters (simplification)
JustinCae(sorry @JustinCase, suitably only one A :) )

You could go like this
Is the first letter an 'a'? J => NO
Is the second letter an 'a'? u => NO

This depends on the combination (i.e. reAson will be quicker than JustinCae, but slower than Announcement) - but on average, you need N/2 tries (in your case N = 9 letters, in game, we have 15 phrases)

Or you could go "binary tree"
Split into two groups of roughly half
Justi vs nCae
You ask
Is there an A in the first group
if YES, you take that group and repeat
if NO, you take the other one and repeat => The advantage here is that there are no "empty" castings, you always GAIN information

Continuing the logic:
nC vs ae
And finally, you split ae and ask is this an 'a'

So, for the length of 9 you need only 3 castings and the algorithm is logarithmic so for 15, you need 4, for 32 5, 64 6, 1024 10, 1 000 000 only 20.

Compare to
15 needs 7 (on average)
32 needs 16
1024 needs 512
1 000 000 needs 500 000

As I said, you may not know it, but Relgar could :) The advantages of characters with skills different than our own...

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
62CE9B54-2F4A-4FC7-B47A-B8563ACE9B67.jpeg

Envisioner

Explorer
Given that Relgar is Asperger's, it seems appropriate to say that his brain doesn't function linearly enough for this stratagem to make sense to him. He's very smart, but sometimes his kind of smart involves going the long way around concepts that "normal" people take for granted.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Neurotic, you might be overthinking how much work it will be to get the portal open. My goal is not to make it so hard that you need to do math problems. I mean, you can go that way, if you want, but it will more steps than you really need.

Basically, let's not get bogged down by adding tons of extra math unless everyone else is cool with it.

Neurotic

Well, you did say there are deadly options. AMD since Akos is not suicidal and he will not force anyone to do it...we need something.

I just offered something to put Relgar single-mindedness forward :) we can move on...I want to check the gardener for possesion :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Well, you did say there are deadly options. AMD since Akos is not suicidal and he will not force anyone to do it...we need something.

I just offered something to put Relgar single-mindedness forward :) we can move on...I want to check the gardener for possesion :)
I realize that. I might have made it seem more deadly than Akos needs worry about. Mainly, the PCs don't want to try just a random phrase to open the portal, but you don't need to worry as long as you stick to the five phrases that I mentioned here. You can come up with them yourself or I can write them for you.

The PCs will just need to do some appropriate skills checks and/or cast some key divination spells. Sorry if I made it seem more complicated than it should be. That was not my intent. :oops:

Neurotic

Not all impostors (or any at all) need to be evil. Remember that mercenaries could be neutral and even most cultists could just be in it as servants / initiates with only true disciples steeped in evil. But, to answer the question (IC post later), yes, we can

Remove ads