• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Temperance throws up her last meal as she moves to help Scarborax. She goes to stab the undead creature but retches again and drops her sword. She slips in the vomit and falls to the floor of the cave.

A moment later, the ghasts rush forward through the spike stones. They smell blood and life and care not for the damage to their feet. The ghouls do the same and soon the magical stones have decimated the horde of mindless undead. The zombies do not move. They are frozen from their last command.

The ghast on Scarborax tries to bite the sorcerer's eyes out and ends up biting the Stump Sorcerer's eye and cheek. The chromitian shouts in anger but then goes silent as his body goes rigid.

The hell hounds break for freedom. Two of them succumb to the stone while the other two limp away into the darkness.

One of the dwarven militia fighters moves to help try to get the ghast off of the Stump Sorcerer. He swings his battleaxe towards the ghast but the creature evades the strike. The other dwarf militia fighter stays back but keeps one eye on her compatriot and the other on the floating ghast lord.

Gala Ella doesn't even consider trying to hit the ghast lord with a sling stone. Instead she casts magic weapon on her blade and stands ready to defend her lady.

The members of the militia let loose with their arrows. Not even one of them comes close to hitting the ghast lord. Tarrak's laughter fills the cave.

The last militia soldier shakes his head, drops his bow, moves to flank with the dwarven fighter and tries to end the ghast attacking Scarborax. The ghast evades the strike. He shakes his head again.

The horn sounds again... no not the one from earlier. This one resounds from outside the cave. Tarrak laughs again.

"Crisenth has finally answered my summons!"

END OF ROUND THREE

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC:
@Knighfall Just by its name, can it regenerate while in the full blast of the celestial brilliance?

Also, there are several of us protected by law, so caster level check to beat SR25 before the will comes into play (which btw Maur handles without problem :) )

Will save
Will save vs chaos hammer: 1D20+15 = [14]+15 = 29

And last round damage of celestial brilliance
Celestial brilliance: 1D6 = [5] = 5

Maur shrugs off Tarraks spell. After all, it is called Chaos HAMMER and Moradin already said he is on his side. So, no hammer will harm Maur and what he hammers will stay down.

He calls out with as much disdain and volume (so that everybody hears it) as he can muster.

"You'll have to do better than that, ghoul. If you were a true leader, you'd surround yourself with capable people, not pitiable novices which you have to turn to zombies to even be semi-useful. Worse, they would be willing to die for you and not whimper in darkness.

The militia here cannot stop you but can keep your zombies away. And they are here voluntary. That's how you manage people, you incompetent piece of grave overflow!

Guards! Focus on lesser opponents, their lord is probably protected from non-magical weapons, missiles, and turnings, much as we are. Don't let simple ghoul eat the sorcerer."

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
So Quinn looks about his situation and realized he must defend the lady! but just 10 feet from his is a priestess and he knows you never let an opponent like that remain standing, he moves to confront her, drawing Cruel justice [as part of a move action] with the bow in his off hand to just hold.

can Quinn use the palisade to do the equivalent of a bull rush against the priestess to push her back? just "simply" over the edge is all I want to do.
use dodge feat against priestess
save vs chaos hammer:
will save: 1D20+12 = [16]+12 = 28

So, what do I roll to make this happen?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
can Quinn use the palisade to do the equivalent of a bull rush against the priestess to push her back? just "simply" over the edge is all I want to do.

So, what do I roll to make this happen?
Hmm, I don't think bull rush applies in this situation, but I'm not sure. The rules for bull rush say that Quinn has to enter the defenders space and that it provokes an AoO. But how could she make an AoO against Quinn with the palisade in between them. I'm looking through both the Miniatures Handbook and Heroes of Battle.

Heroes of Battle has some ideas about barricades such as fences, abatis, and fraises. The palisades are probable most like a fraise, which is a barrier of sharpened stakes driven into the ground. That's the main difference I think. There was no way to set the palisades firmly into the solid rock, so the fortifications are just sitting on top of the rock and could be slid down towards her.

Each spiked stake does 1d8 damage and has a +10 attack bonus. Quinn would be able to add his Strength bonus to the roll. 1d4 spikes would hit her on a successful attack.

The book has more details on moving a steep slope. It seems the movement penalty is only for going uphill. Running or charging down a steep slope is a DC 10 Balance check. Characters who fail this check stumble and must end their movement 1d2x5 feet later. If the check fails by 5 or more, the character falls prone in the square where they end their movement.

If Quinn is going to try to push the palisade into the priestess, I'd want him to make that Balance check. If he stumbles, Quinn might push the palisade into Aureus in addition to the priestess. If he fails by 5 or more, Quinn risks impaling himself on 1d4 of the spikes too.

If he scores a critical hit, however, he can either choose to have 1d8 spikes hit the priestess or force her over the edge into the crevasse.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Base d 20 roll
_: 1D20 = [16] = 16
Balance skill: +2 for a roll of 18. not a crit, but I'll take it!
OOC:
The Balance check is separate from the attack roll. The Balance check is so Quinn doesn't stumble or faceplant onto the cave floor but the attack roll still has to hit her AC. That is an attack of +10 plus Quinn's Strength modifier (+4). If he hits, then she is hit by 1d4 spikes that do 1d8 damage each (and will say +6 for Quinn's Strength as if he's using a two-handed weapon).

So, he could do as much damage as 4d8+6 on a hit or as little as 1d8+6. It's a full-round action. Hmm, with Haste probably should be able to smash the palisade into her twice but not three times.

He scores a critical hit on a Nautral 20. If he does, she is either impaled by 1d8 spikes or Quinn sends her over the edge. Your choice.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth curses as he hears the cries of surprise from his allies. Of course their leader uses magic to get behind the front line!

Well, two can play the magic surprise game, the druid decides, and after a cautious step away from the wolftroll, Caerth changes his shape into that of a very large bat. He immediately flies away from the troll, then circles back towards where he knows Tarrak is.

OOC: 5-foot-step away from the troll if possible, then Wild Shape into a dire bat. Then fly around, staying out of melee reach , generally towards Tarak. Perhaps find a place to ‘hang around’ until next turn?

If Caerth gets hit by an attack of opportunity, he’ll just take it and hopefully shrug it off.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads