Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Scotley
"The egg is not important right now. Quick Aureus, check the fallen creature and the fireplace for the the key. The rest of us must see what the other Badger has found." With that he turns and motions the Badger to continue the search for the key while there is still time.
Aureus nods her head and rummages through the rook's nest and carefully checks out the body. She finds no sign of the key but decides to take the egg with her. She carefully wraps it in a cloth and stows it in her pack for safe keeping. "Maybe dinner," she chortles at Phar with a toothy grin. "Eggs tasty." After that, she goes back to the dark opening that Spook was drawn to initially. She nearly chokes from the smell coming from it. "Open space," she barks to Phar. "It stinks."

The badger makes it way over to the upright table and stacked benches blocking the open doorway. The badger claws at the table and bites at its legs with a growl.

Originally Posted by Scott DeWar
Quinn follows the other badger, his deadly chain at the ready to lash out its thirst for blood of opponents
Embolded by the braver badger, Spook claws at the other side of the table. The light coming from Cruel Justice shows that there is another stairwell that leads down into the lowers levels of the tower. It should be easy enough to move the benches and table out of the way, as they aren't bolted to the floor or walls.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Quinn hangs his chain whip on its loop and starts shoving the furniture aside to gain access. He does so headless of whatever damages he causes.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Scott DeWar
Quinn hangs his chain whip on its loop and starts shoving the furniture aside to gain access. He does so headless of whatever damages he causes.
The furniture quickly turns into debris, as rot had already warped it. The stout badger rushes down the stairwell into the darkness. Spook takes some prodding from Phar before he heads down as well, but he stays within the light of Cruel Justice. Stout doesn't stop at the next level and continues down into the darkness well beyond the shine of the light. Spook pauses at the landing sniffing the air cautiously. The smell of dust and ash lingers in the musty room beyond the stairwell alcove. The light from the sword illuminates what might be some sort of workshop, a smithy, maybe.

Spook doesn't enter the room. Instead the wary celestial badger waits for Phar to appear before continuing down after Stout. Spook moves within range of the light until it hears Stout snuffing around from somewhere below. The sound pushes the badger on beyond the light. As the group descends, the temperature cools and the air becomes musty. The stairwell ends on a wide stone step that is surrounded by and earthen floor. Crates, barrels, and sacks are stacked haphazardly, although something of a path winds through the center of the clutter. The opposite wall is smattered with fibrous blobs of decomposing, milk-colored matter that have capped fungus growing out of them.

Stout has gone down the cluttered path partway but the badger seems wary to go on. Spook stands just beyond the low stone step snuffing around in circles. He seems confused by all the different smells.

Aureus sneezes and the covers her nose in displeasure. "Too much stink," she says to Phar.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar nods at Aureus' assessment wrinkling his narrow elven nose. "Does anyone recognize those fungi? I don't like the look, or smell of them. The Badgers are wise not to approach I think. Hold the light up and let me get a better look." He examines them without going closer that Stout has.

OOC: Knowledge Nature, Dungeoneering, Religion and Planes all +8, Arcana +17

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Originally Posted by Scotley
Phar nods at Aureus' assessment wrinkling his narrow elven nose. "Does anyone recognize those fungi? I don't like the look, or smell of them. The Badgers are wise not to approach I think. Hold the light up and let me get a better look." He examines them without going closer that Stout has.
Once the light is shone on the fungi, Phar can immediately tell that there isn't a monstrous threat from them. They are the natural result of decay that grows in dark damp places.

OOC: Phar's Knowledge (Nature) check >> 1d20+8=21

Originally Posted by JustinCase
Caerth carefully examines the fungi to determine their potential threat.
Caerth can tell that the fungi are not dangerous beyond what is normal for such fungi. Eating them would be deadly but they aren't unnatural for such a place as this cluttered room.

Aureus pulls a large cloth out of her pack and ties it around her snout. She moves down the path to where Stout has stopped. She pats the badger on its head and begins to carefully search through some of the nearby clutter. In the mass of worn furniture, piles of firewood, old clothes and rusted weapons, and frayed blankets, she finds mainly more clutter underneath including a block and tackle, old frayed rope, a barrel of stagnant water, an iron pot, broken lanterns, a worn tarp held down with stones, and half-a-dozen rat skeletons.

Aureus finds something else in the mass too. A small sack with a red "X" painted on the side. She calls Phar over to take a look at the bag, which has been chewed open by something, likely rats.

As Phar approaches, she quickly waves him back after spotting something out of the corner of her eye.

"A pit," she says to him. "Hidden there. Under that."

Phar and the others can see that Aureus is pointing to the tarp that had been half-concealed by a pile of old clothes. It is torn near the edges and a circle of small, set stones can be seen just under it.

Aureus steps toward it carefully and finds the edge of the pit. She checks her footing near the edge, as she removes one of the stones holding the tarp in place.

"Deep," she says. "Water is foul. Step carefully."

The dogwoman uncovers the rest of the pit which turns out to be a well. It's edge is a six-inch high stone lip made from loosely fitted rocks. If anyone had stumbled onto the tarp they would have likely fallen into the brackish water below along with the tarp and several of the edge stones.

"Nasty trap," Aureus adds.

OOC: Aureus' Search check >> 1d20+13=21

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Only one way to find out . . . . . ." Quinn takes his travel cloak and cuts off a portion. Then tying it around his nose and mouth ,he looks to the others, "Are you ready?"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar shudders as he glances down the pit. "I concur I don't believe the fungi are a threat unless one were to consume them. Or perhaps slip on their damp sliminess." He adds with another glance at the well. He turns to Aureus, "Your keen eyes have saved us much suffering I think my friend. Quinn I am ready, what has our intrepid little friend found now?"

Remove ads