Kung-Fu Techniques for the Drunken Monk

Breakstone

First Post
So in the newly started Arcana Unearthed (that's the Monte Cook one) campaign, one of the players is playing a Giant Oathsworn who's basically a Drunken Master type of martial artist, swearing off all material goods (except for alcohol) while attempting to recover his past.

I think a big disadvantage for this characters is that he's not going to use many magic items. So I was pondering ways around this.

I was thinking that part of his quest could be to uncover sites where he could learn power-ups. These power ups could have classic Kung-Fu names, like "Mantis Leap," or "Bear's Embrace," or "Eye of the Storm."

In the game, we're using the house rule of Reserve Points, which are points equal to your hit points that transfer over to your hit points at a rate of one-per-minute.

I was thinking these techniques he learns could grant him small bonuses that he'd activate during combat, at the cost of Reserve Points. For example...

Mantis Leap
When activated (as a free action), the character gainst a +2 to Jump and Tumble checks, and a +1 dodge bonus to armor class, at the cost of one Reserve Point per round.

Bear's Embrace
When activated, the character treats his size as large when determining bonuses for grappling, at the cost of two Reserve Points per round.

Eye of the Storm
All adjacent opponents suffer a 20% miss chance when attacking the character. Eye of the Storm costs 5 Reserve Points per round.

What do you think? Can you come up with any more cool kung-fu technique names and abilities?

Last edited by a moderator:

tmart

First Post
Back of Turtle
At the cost of 3 RP per round, you no longer suffer penalties to attack or defense while prone.

I, for one, am all for cheesy pseudo-kung fu. :D

Breakstone

First Post
Heh, that's a good one.

Here's some more:

Locust Stance
If the character does not move, he gains 2 points of natural armor, at the cost of one reserve point per round.

Flight of the Moth
The character may move his full movement speed and perform a full attack, at the cost of five reserve points.

Grip of the Serpent: Treat the character as having the Improved Grab ability (MM) at the cost of 3 RPs per attack.

Flame of the Phoenix: Add fire damage equal to twice the number of RPs spent. This lasts for one attack and may be declared after the attack roll is made but before damage rolls.

Sway of the Reeds: Add a dodge bonus equal to the number of RPs spent, and subtract that same number from all damage rolls this round.

Last edited:

Felikeries

First Post
i think plying with the 'arcane' nature as to RP should make the
chance to use these abilites a dc,and cost more to use

as well as focusing the use as/a day at type of enemy say...cr. rating
will make the next use in a combat after affected say.....-1d12 any roller for an effect,which gets to -1d4 after 10 lvls,this applies to fitrst use,then next use has to lesser cr. or the modifier applies,not compounded per battle differences in fought foes but by completed battles,and the first effected or thusly that has a higher or lower cr.

Remove ads