D&D 5E L&L 1/7/2013 The Many Worlds of D&D

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well, it's not the full-on return to the Planescape cosmology that I wanted, but it's a pretty big step in the right direction.

I do, however, very much appreciate that Spelljammer was mentioned, even if I disagree with the assertion that it was "muddled" by connecting the existing campaign worlds. For me, that's not just one of its strongest points, but a big elephant in the room that needs to be addressed. As soon as you mention "fantasy space" in the context of existing campaign worlds, the question of going to those worlds can't really be avoided.

As such, while I worry that Spelljammer is the "biggest setting change" of the bunch (given how they're rearranging the planes again), I do like that they're only downplaying - rather than outright denying - it's facet of connecting existing settings.

MarkB

Legend

Very nice - I like it.

I was wondering whether to suggest that the Feywild and Ravenloft could extend to cover the border elemental planes, giving their outer reaches an elemental theme. You could place the Summer Court in the region congruous with the Fire border-plane, and the Winter Court congruous with Water, for instance. I'm not so sure that it does anything useful for Ravenloft, though.

gyor

Legend
I believe on Twitter Mike suggested that there would be a Far Realm border plane as well.

[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] getting that up this fast very impressive, thank you.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I like it - although I also agree with others on here that 'Ravenloft' should be a domain in the Shadowfell and not the other way around. There are specific tropes in Ravenloft that I don't feel are necessarily universal enough to represent the entirety of a plane of shadow. The Shadowfell seems like a more general environment and ravenloft more specific to a particular region (or the domain of dread a cluster of regions) within.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
This sounds find to me, though I tend not to run many plane-hopping games so I'm less invested than some.

I get the border elemental, planes, but I'm not sure I understand what's the difference between the other two. "areas of pure, elemental energy" vs. "a region of pure, fundamental elemental energy."

gyor

Legend
Are you talking about the positive and negative enery planes? Because positive energy is basically pure life force and negitive energy is pure nectotic energy of death.

Anyways I'm wondering what elements of the 4e Astral Sea they'll mix into the great wheel, any suggestions?

Remove ads